Pre match thread

mottaloo

4 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

A quote from this link here on Chambers as DM. Feels like a long time he played CDM also. This won't end well in my opinion. Tweak the formation instead.

"He has been caught out a few times playing in a more spacious area of the pitch"

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/calum-chambers-arsenal-fulham-tactical-analysis-statistics

Yes but theres a point where you have to make changes to the team not just the formation. 

Oh God, another gameweek coming up to be excited for, not, thanks Villa and Gerrard.

Basically would have taken a point a few weeks ago if the previous three had gone as I was expecting (W,D,W) but with us now on 6 points less than we should be we need to be looking to win. Burnley put three past them which is a worse result than ours against Watford, so if we actually turn up we can win.

Gerrard can ill afford another flat, drab performance let alone another defeat that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Does Konsa go straight back in for this game? I think Mings and Chambers have played reasonable well in the last two. But for me Konsa is the best central defender we have. Or do we go to a back 3/5 and play the three centre backs? 

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Does Konsa go straight back in for this game? I think Mings and Chambers have played reasonable well in the last two. But for me Konsa is the best central defender we have. Or do we go to a back 3/5 and play the three centre backs? 

Konsa straight back in. Easily our best and most consistent CB.

If its as physical and lacking finesse as our matches with Newcastle and Watford I fear for us. However if we get a chance to show our quality say a half dozen times in the attacking third then I think we will win.

You have to think we’re capable of a lot more than what we’ve been doing lately, and with that in mind we should be able to get something out of this. 

If the performance and coaching is anything like last time, though, we’ll come away with nothing but embarrasment and further questions raised. 

• Like 1

Here's what I would go with...

-------------------------------Ings---------------------------------
Buendia-------------------------------------------------Bailey
--------------------------Coutinho------------------------------
-----------------Ramsey---------Luiz---------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digne-----------Mings----Chambers--------------Cash
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

I'd tell Ramsey and Luiz to play deeper and play Coutinho a little deeper so he can get on the ball more. I'd let the fullbacks know they can overlap when they want, but their job is to defend.

Here's what Gerrard will go with...

Digne-----------------------------------------------------Cash
-----------------------------Ings----------------------------------
----------------Coutinho------Buendia--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------Luiz-----------------------------------
Ramsey---------Mings----Chambers-------McGinn
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------Martinez--------------------------------

And we'll just be exposed and Coutinho and Buendia won't be in the game.

Think we will see

Ings

Buendia              countinho 

Ramsey      mcginn

Chambers

Digne        Mings        Konsa        cash

Emi

I would play Sanson instead of Chambers, Bur the whole formation is missing an experienced cdm. IMO that's why mcginn and Ramsey have started being so deep. 

i'd like to see:

Ings

Coutinho               Buendia

JJ                 Sanson

Chambers

Usual back 5 with Konsa back

however i fully expect an unchanged line up aside from konsa coming back

MAYBE will get the chambers for luiz change but that would be it

14 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Aston Villa:

200.gif

That really is the kiss of death, We are the gift that keeps giving. Team on a slump, we will give them a win.

Striker that cant his a barn door, lets give him a goal or 2.

Team cant keep a clean sheet, we got you covered...

Really hate these stats as they always bite us on the ass!!

• Like 2

If we’re not going to see a change in formation I at least want us to set up to be more solid at the back. Exactly how we played against them last time. If we walk into this with the exact same set up and tactics as we have been recently Potter will have us for dinner. 

Edited by IrishVilla10

I honestly think that across all 92 football league clubs that on any given day, any team can beat any team. I know that sounds stupid but that’s actually the case. I also think that Graham Potter is an excellent young manager, he is an astute tactician. They also have some terrific players like Yves Bissouma, Adam Webster and Robert Sanchez to name but a few. They are now an established Premier League club and this won’t be an easy match, far from it, there are none in the whole football league. There is lots of moaning in this thread and negativity, I am trying to put a positive outlook on things but I don’t think I have done a very good job