The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

While rock put both his hands behind his back and leant in to it... 

I don't believe it's fake because I can't find any way possible that Smith would buy in to doing it, no reason whatsoever for him to agree to that but its still weird

I just don't think Rock has any idea what to expect, he's laughing and knows something unscripted is going on, but I don't think he considers for a moment that Smith is just going to clearing in the woods him in the face

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Not sure on this.

Alopecia is grim, particularly for women. Hair is a big social thing for women, and having the choice taken away to have hair or not may not be life threatening but it heavily weighs on some people's mental health. JPS has said she's struggled with the mental health aspects of her illness. Rock taking the piss out of it is a bit grim.

That isn't to say that JPS is a good person, or that Smith was right to slap Rock for what he said, but Rock was wrong to say it.

It's a big social thing for men too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why? Jada Pinkett Smith is a very famous actor in her own right. She's not some random who is "just" Will Smith's wife

Ok maybe I was wrong , tbh I’m totally indifferent on the matter.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

While rock put both his hands behind his back and leant in to it... 

I don't believe it's fake because I can't find any way possible that Smith would buy in to doing it, no reason whatsoever for him to agree to that but its still weird

Yeh he did seem to lean into it.

Will Smith is a very good actor. You'll find out in a few days if it is a set up, it would be good if this was all some ploy to drum up huge media attention and they release a video to do with a charity or something.

If not then he really has lost the plot.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Agreed. A bit of male pattern baldness can be a bit upsetting, especially if you're younger, but alopecia is a whole other level, look at the amount of abuse Jonjo Shelvey gets, for example

It was an unpleasant joke, but men who “defend their wife’s honour” like this are usually quite unpleasant people too. Chris Rock is a comedian being paid to tell controversial jokes, not some random bloke in the street shouting abuse.

Will Smith could have stood up for her in a more grown up way. It was bizarre. Also he’s twice the size of Chris Rock, who took the slap pretty well and carried on talking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

It can be, yes. And alopecia is horrific for both sexes.

But hairloss is more 'acceptable' for men generally, there's been less of a cultural focus on hair as masculine touchstone, whereas for women hair is often an identity thing that can be a fundamental to 'being a woman', being feminine, being beautiful.

• Like 1

He did seem to find the joke genuinely amusing initially. I guess he saw his wife's face and the switch flicked. Mad reaction though, there's clearly a few issues behind the jolly persona.

• Like 1

Just now, will87 said:

He did seem to find the joke genuinely amusing initially. I guess he saw his wife's face and the switch flicked. Mad reaction though, there's clearly a few issues behind the jolly persona.

Probably just realised he needed to defend her in case her boyfriend did instead ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How on Earth do people think that was staged? Who has come out looking good from it? Neither person or the reputation of an awards show thats been running for so long. 

seems they do a rehearsal of the show  ? and that Smith was present at it  ?

Variety executive editor Ramin Setoodeh, who was tweeting live from the ceremony, said that someone who works for the Oscars told him that Rock was not interrupted by Smith at rehearsals on Saturday. 

'It was not supposed to happen. It was real,' he wrote.

Seeing the footage I thought Jada's reaction was one of those faked "I'm not amused" ones , we've seen it used by celebs . i.e  when Gervais does his material at the globes  ...  coupled with Will laughing , I assumed they knew it was coming  , which the rehersal comment above gives some weight to ? 

Rock didn't seem to be phased by Smith approaching and took a slap to the face without barley a stagger , the Thwump nose just added to the effect that it was a comedy moment .. and as he walked away I thought Smith had a smirk on his face 

and then ... Smith let stream with the swearing and its quite apparent it was for real .. as also evidenced by the interval where Smith is being consoled by Washington , whilst the academy decided if they should eject Smith from the ceremony 

So i guess , its why some people could think it was faked  ... but only until the point where Smith lets rip from his seat , surely ??

Edited by tonyh29
for some reason my comments are inside a quote box !
  • Like 1

Went bald when I was 12, couldn't give a flying **** whether it's funny or not, Smith should have taken Jada on to the stage and said you joke misfired and was hurtful, here is your opportunity to apologize. Much better then tickling his cheek the way he did, ffs, knock him out or deal with it like an adult ya big baby.

8 minutes ago, will87 said:

My first thought was that he didn’t get the joke at first 😅

Yes my view he laughed because that's the social setting it's all smiles and cheers for the camera. This idea he reacted because Jada was mad I don't buy. He just processed the words.

She's a terrible terrible person but she isn't at fault here. 

Will Smith is mentally unbalanced at the minute. He's been an absolute punching bag and this of all things, a stupid joke was the straw.

I also wonder if he a drinking problem tbh. I've seen these kind of outbursts and then overly emotional with the tears before when it comes to alcoholism and drunken moments.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I was aware of her vaguely before today. Couldn't name a single thing she's been in, and don't know why she's considered such a terrible person?

From what I've read, they went on a chat show a couple of years ago for her to break the news that she'd been shagging one of their son's mates, and seems to have shown no remorse while Smith was trying to hold back the tears - but they've rebranded it as them having an "open marriage".