The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

Around a month until the 2022 Oscars so thought we could have a thread where we discuss potential winners

Selected categories below, feel free to discuss others too. Could even do a predictions competition if anyone could be bothered (I can't! :) )

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

JAVIER BARDEM - Being the Ricardos
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH - The Power of the Dog
ANDREW GARFIELD - tick, tick...BOOM!
WILL SMITH - King Richard
DENZEL WASHINGTON - The Tragedy of Macbeth

Haven't seen King RIchard yet, but seen the rest. I think Cumberbatch probably has this one wrapped up, but I like Garfield as an outside shout. I thought he was fantastic in Tick Tick Boom

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

CIARÁN HINDS - Belfast
TROY KOTSUR - CODA
JESSE PLEMONS - The Power of the Dog
J.K. SIMMONS - Being the Ricardos
KODI SMIT-MCPHEE - The Power of the Dog

Tough one really. I can't say any of these jump out at me. I'll go with Troy Kotsur for something different

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

JESSICA CHASTAIN - The Eyes of Tammy Faye
OLIVIA COLMAN - The Lost Daughter
PENÉLOPE CRUZ - Parallel Mothers
NICOLE KIDMAN - Being the Ricardos
KRISTEN STEWART - Spencer

Not seen Tammy Faye or Parallel Mothers, but Kristen Stewart is the standout on the list imo. I can see why Kidman is in the discussion but I really didn't like that movie so I find it hard to suggest it.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

JESSIE BUCKLEY - The Lost Daughter
ARIANA DEBOSE - West Side Story
JUDI DENCH - Belfast
KIRSTEN DUNST - The Power of the Dog
AUNJANUE ELLIS - King Richard

Kirsten Dunst for me. One of many great performances in Power of the Dog

DIRECTING

BELFAST - Kenneth Branagh
DRIVE MY CAR - Ryusuke Hamaguchi
LICORICE PIZZA - Paul Thomas Anderson
THE POWER OF THE DOG - Jane Campion
WEST SIDE STORY - Steven Spielberg

I've only seen Power of the Dog and Belfast of these so it's a slightly difficult one for me. I'd go for Campion based on what I've seen

BEST PICTURE

BELFAST - Laura Berwick, Kenneth Branagh, Becca Kovacik and Tamar Thomas, Producers
CODA - Philippe Rousselet, Fabrice Gianfermi and Patrick Wachsberger, Producers 
DON'T LOOK UP - Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers 
DRIVE MY CAR - Teruhisa Yamamoto, Producer 
DUNE - Mary Parent, Denis Villeneuve and Cale Boyter, Producers 
KING RICHARD - Tim White, Trevor White and Will Smith, Producers
LICORICE PIZZA - Sara Murphy, Adam Somner and Paul Thomas Anderson, Producers
NIGHTMARE ALLEY - Guillermo del Toro, J. Miles Dale and Bradley Cooper, Producers
THE POWER OF THE DOG - Jane Campion, Tanya Seghatchian, Emile Sherman, Iain Canning and Roger Frappier, Producers 
WEST SIDE STORY - Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers 

Again I haven't managed to see all of these yet, but of what I've seen The Power of the Dog stands out as the winner. Fantastic movie. Belfast and Dune my honourable mentions

Feel free to add other categories

EDIT: Where to watch (thanks @villa4europe)

Being the Ricardos - Amazon Prime
CODA - Apple TV+
Don't Look Up - Netflix
Drive My Car - BFI Player (additional cost)
Dune - Sky Store (additional cost)
The Lost Daughter - Netflix
The Power of the Dog - Netflix
tick tick... Boom - Netflix
The Tragedy of Macbeth - Apple TV+
West Side Story - Disney+ (March 2nd)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

West Side story is on disney+ March 2nd

Being the Ricardo's is amazon prime already

Don't look up, lost daughter, tick tick boom and power of the dog are netflix

Macbeth is on Apple tv

CODA is also on Apple TV

• Like 1

Best actor, so far only seen Garfield and Cumberbatch. Much preferred Tick Tick Boom and Garfield is excellent in that role.  Ciaran Hinds plays a wonderful character in Belfast. I adore the film, might do well, but suspect that role might be a little ' schmalzy?' for an award. Who knows. Likewise for Judi Dench, but then, you know it's Judi Dench so for that alone she might well get it. 

Kristen Stewart would be a well deserved winner for Spencer - absolutely terrific performance that. Colman - also good - as ever, though Lost Daughter as a whole never particularly gripped me. I think Jessie Buckley, of those two from that film has a better chance. Obviously still got to watch a few of the other films first etc. 

Of the films I've seen, happy with anything for Belfast, Dune or Liquorice Pizza. 

Don't Look Up getting nominated, however is a joke. Also, please not best film for Power of the Dog, it was a **** snorefest. Fine, give it cinematography or something, but as a film, duller than dully mcdullydull author of how to send yourself to sleep by reading this sent...

Want to see the Macbeth film soon. Hearing rather mixed things about Being the Ricardos, sounds like Sorkin might have missed this time around, but it's on Prime isn't it? Will no doubt watch it soon. Would love to catch Drive My Car, but don't think it's on at any cinemas sadly.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Haven't seen King RIchard yet, but seen the rest. I think Cumberbatch probably has this one wrapped up, but I like Garfield as an outside shout. I thought he was fantastic in Tick Tick Boom

Will Smith is heavy, odd-on favourite I believe. 

Just now, ml1dch said:

Will Smith is heavy, odd-on favourite I believe. 

Yeah I need to get round to watching it.

I like Will Smith but I'm struggling to imagine him putting on a performance that's better than Cumberbatch or Garfield (or Denzel for that matter)

24 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Hearing rather mixed things about Being the Ricardos, sounds like Sorkin might have missed this time around, but it's on Prime isn't it? Will no doubt watch it soon. Would love to catch Drive My Car, but don't think it's on at any cinemas sadly.

I hated Being the Ricardos. I think if you don't know anything about I Love Lucy then it's tough to get into. I can see why Bardem and Kidman have had nominations as they're very good, Kidman especially. But it's not a good movie.

Drive my Car is on BFI Player, but costs £10 (I think)

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

West Side story is on disney+ March 2nd

Being the Ricardo's is amazon prime already

Don't look up, lost daughter, tick tick boom and power of the dog are netflix

Macbeth is on Apple tv

Added these to the OP

• Like 1

I haven't watched an Oscar nominated movie in years. Not sure any of these tempt me enough to start.

There always seems to be a type of movie too; checking the ratings, I'm not even sure they're all actually good.

Edited by StefanAVFC

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I need to get round to watching it.

I like Will Smith but I'm struggling to imagine him putting on a performance that's better than Cumberbatch or Garfield (or Denzel for that matter)

I'm not a fan of W.Smith to be honest but he was absolutely superb in King Richard.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I haven't watched an Oscar nominated movie in years. Not sure any of these tempt me enough to start.

There always seems to be a type of movie too; checking the ratings, I'm not even sure they're all actually good.

Given there's 10 nominees for Best picture this year, there's definitely some in there that aren't THAT good. Don't Look Up, for example, isn't worthy of a nomination imo

But Belfast, Dune and The Power of the Dog are all absolutely brilliant films.

The Tragedy of Macbeth and tick tick...Boom are also very very good.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Given there's 10 nominees for Best picture this year, there's definitely some in there that aren't THAT good. Don't Look Up, for example, isn't worthy of a nomination imo

But Belfast, Dune and The Power of the Dog are all absolutely brilliant films.

The Tragedy of Macbeth and tick tick...Boom are also very very good.

Yeah after writing my post, I realised I saw Green Book from 2018 which was excellent. I just don't really like Oscar-style films it seems. Or not enough to seek them out :D 

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah after writing my post, I realised I saw Green Book from 2018 which was excellent. I just don't really like Oscar-style films it seems. Or not enough to seek them out :D 

What's an 'Oscar style film'? This is a pretty diverse list. Was 'Parasite' Oscar style? 

That said, I also don't seek them out, but usually catch one or two anyway - Don't Look Up, Power of the Dog and Lost Daughter so far this year. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

What's an 'Oscar style film'? This is a pretty diverse list. Was 'Parasite' Oscar style? 

That said, I also don't seek them out, but usually catch one or two anyway - Don't Look Up, Power of the Dog and Lost Daughter so far this year. 

You know what, I can’t even describe. 

artsy, a little pretentious. Hard to quantify but I know it when i see it 

• Like 1

There are definitely award season baiters and even if they don't have the post award winning hype around them they still have the push and marketing aimed towards awards season, you can tell most of them by what time of year they are released, I think 8 out of the 10 best picture films were released in November or December 

Agree with the arty and a little pretentious, there's also a type of awards season film in my mind where nothing to next to nothing actually happens like lost in translation or nomadland 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

And funnily enough, Green Book was one of the weakest nominees that year, imo

• Like 1

It’s kinda varied, but I think I could guess with a reasonable success rate whether a film has been put together with one eye on the awards season.

Typical genres are biopics/based on a true story. Period dramas. Films that deal with an issue/“ism”. Smaller budget, character based indie films. There’s generally a “worthiness” quality to them.

I haven’t seen any of those films listed so don’t know how many are covered by those genres.

• Like 1

Of all the films I've only seen Drive My Car and Lost Daughter.

I didn't think Lost Daughter was that great but give it credit for being an interesting enough directoral debut that showed promise and it being quite unpredictable in terms of where it's storyline went, was also the kind of film that stays on your mind after it's finished leaving you still asking questions which I think is a good sign, wasn't enthralled by it and probably won't watch it again but something to watch and probably better than most things on TV.

Drive My Car I really liked, it's a three hour film and at one point after a good start I wasn't sure about it but it's one of those that is better when you've seen the whole thing and it all ties together, I haven't read the book but I've seen a lot of people that have praise it for capturing the feel of Murakami's writing. Same director also released another film last year called Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy which is an anthology featuring three different shorter films I loved the third one.

The Tragedy of Macbeth I watched the first twenty or so minutes of and I pretty much liked everything about it but realized I was only understanding half of the dialogue, so am now reading the play with a guide explaining some of the terminology and so on, so I can go back to the film and understand it better.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Of the previous 93 best picture winners these are the ones I've seen

Parasite, 12 Years a Slave, Crash, A Beautiful Mind, American Beauty, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, The Silence of the Lambs, Rain Man, Rocky, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, All About Eve, Rebecca.

So not as many as i thought and of those I'd only call Parasite, The Apartment, The Sound of Music, and All About Eve favorites, I love Alfred Hitchock and liked Rebecca but not as much as some of his others.

Edited by useless