The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

I was aware of her vaguely before today. Couldn't name a single thing she's been in,

The Matrix sequels were probably her highest profile roles, but she's been in a lot of films (Nutty professor, Scream 2, Madagascar, Men in Black to name a few of the popular ones)

She was also a "good friend" of Tupac Shakur which gave her some prominence in the 90s

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've never really understood why these award shows require the host taking the piss out of everyone.

AIUI the brief history of this is that for a long time awards shows were hosted by other actors, who praised each other all the time as luvvies usually do, and the whole thing was quite dull, viewing figures were getting worse, and these events were at risk of drifting out of the cultural conversation. Then one of them hired Ricky Gervais who spent the evening 'roasting' the attendees and everyone loved it and couldn't stop talking about it afterwards, and since then most of these shows have been at least part-hosted by an 'edgy' comedian who straddles both sides of the line. 

On this occasion, not only did Smith punch Rock, but seemingly a lot of people rose to their feet in a spontaneous standing ovation for him doing so. Since in vino veritas, presumably that indicates that plenty of these A-listers are getting tired of turning up to black tie events to be roasted by a mere comedian (no surprise, given how seriously actors take themselves). Can't help but wonder if the day of the 'edgy' host may be over. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Matrix sequels were probably her highest profile roles, but she's been in a lot of films (Nutty professor, Scream 2, Madagascar, Men in Black to name a few of the popular ones)

She was also a "good friend" of Tupac Shakur which gave her some prominence in the 90s

Menace II society! 

She worked with Rock on the 3 Madagascar films so I wonder if he thought he could get away with his joke because he knows her

Would also say that she was one of the main characters in the matrix game which I think came out before the sequels and was pretty big

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've suffered a form of alopecia since the age of 14.  I spent nearly all of my teenage years wishing the time away, desperate to be old enough that baldness would be acceptable.

I'm still far more conscious of my physical appearance than is anywhere near healthy.

Only hair loss though.

Sorry to here that.  How old are you now?  I'm 45 and bald as can be but it has never really bothered me, I started thinning on top in my late twenties but it never really affected me.  Obviously this isnt due to some form of alopecia but wondering if as you are now older does the baldness still bother you as much?

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

She worked with Rock on the 3 Madagascar films so I wonder if he thought he could get away with his joke because he knows her

Possibly.

But from what I understand about animated films it's entirely possible to record the audio without the actors ever being in the same room. So working on the movie doesn't necessarily mean they spent much time together

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

**** me, she's losing her hair. It's hardly an illness. I could understand if she'd lost it through chemo or something.

Plus she's obviously not embarrassed about it, she's owning the bald look which is 'in' now with black women anyway judging by social media posts. Talks about blinging it up and making a bejazzle crown etc... She's just a massive knob.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. To you it might not be a big deal but to someone it can be. Effects their confidence, self esteem and can make them equally depressed causing mental issues.

For a woman i cam see how this would be deeply upsetting. As i said a few pages back look at gail porters history and how it badly effected her life

Edited by Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think on an animated film they all hang out together doing impressions of zebras and lions. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Why has Liam Payne changed his voice? Ah yeah, it's cos he's a huge bellend.

True story, I’m sat in the exact office he did his work experience in

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Doesn't surprise me that he was a bell even back then.

It was before my time. But his dad worked here, only retired recently. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Went bald when I was 12, couldn't give a flying **** whether it's funny or not, Smith should have taken Jada on to the stage and said you joke misfired and was hurtful, here is your opportunity to apologize. Much better then tickling his cheek the way he did, ffs, knock him out or deal with it like an adult ya big baby.

That probably would have been a better response  for me i would have grabbed my wives hand taken on stage and said do you think having alopecia is funny? Do you know what my wife has to go through everyday? I love her and i will protect her and you should apologise for that tasteless joke.

I think smith would have been deemed a hero had he responded like that. Unfortunately his emotions took over and i do believe he is on the verge of a breakdown hence why he responded like this.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

That probably would have been a better response  for me i would have grabbed my wives hand taken on stage and said do you think having alopecia is funny? Do you know what my wife has to go through everyday? I love her and i will protect her and you should apologise for that tasteless joke.

I think smith would have been deemed a hero had he responded like that. Unfortunately his emotions took over and i do believe he is on the verge of a breakdown hence why he responded like this.

I've gotta be honest, if he'd burst onto the stage to lecture the comedian and the audience and announce he couldn't take a joke he would also have looked like a total plank.

There's really only one thing you can do when someone is taking the piss out of you in a setting like that, and that's grin along (and then bear a grudge and wreak terrible vengeance afterwards; Trump getting Obama back for roasting him has to be the all-time best slow-burn response to a humiliation).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1