The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

Almost completely useless information, but I’ve had a look at past winners for best actor and actress.

Since 2002, 13 actors won one portraying real people, 10 actresses likewise won.

To put that in perspective, between 1927 and 2001, by my count there were 15 actors and 13 actresses similarly winning by playing a real person.

So that’s 28 Oscar wins over 74 years compared the following 20 years which brought 23 wins.

Not exactly earth shattering news, but if you want to win an Oscar, it really does help if you’re playing a real person, now more than ever.

I don’t know if that says something about what’s considered award worthy by those who make these decisions, or whether the companies who want to gain a bit of exposure by winning an award feel that doing a “based on a true story” is a safer bet for success.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Almost completely useless information, but I’ve had a look at past winners for best actor and actress.

Since 2002, 13 actors won one portraying real people, 10 actresses likewise won.

To put that in perspective, between 1927 and 2001, by my count there were 15 actors and 13 actresses similarly winning by playing a real person.

So that’s 28 Oscar wins over 74 years compared the following 20 years which brought 23 wins.

Not exactly earth shattering news, but if you want to win an Oscar, it really does help if you’re playing a real person, now more than ever.

I don’t know if that says something about what’s considered award worthy by those who make these decisions, or whether the companies who want to gain a bit of exposure by winning an award feel that doing a “based on a true story” is a safer bet for success.

Unless there is a Zelenskyy movie ready to be released asap then Austin Butler is a shoe in for next year since he's playing Elvis.

Tom Hanks will win supporting as he's playing Colonel Tom Parker in the same movie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Unless there is a Zelenskyy movie ready to be released asap then Austin Butler is a shoe in for next year since he's playing Elvis.

Tom Hanks will win supporting as he's playing Colonel Tom Parker in the same movie.

Joking apart, this looks like it might be decent.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Joking apart, this looks like it might be decent.

There's a Marilyn Monroe movie in production which I'm sure will get Ana de Armas a look in for best actress too

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't seen King Richard yet, but it must be a hell of a performance to beat Cumberbatch and Garfield to the Oscar, imo

He is fantastic in it tbf and I've never been his biggest fan (even less so now).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You missed off the other key bit of advice - never go full retard 

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

He is fantastic in it tbf and I've never been his biggest fan (even less so now).

As a side on Smith - for such a big box office superstar I think his filmography is really weak, he has so many shit blockbusters to his name 

His best roles are serious real life roles, not seen king richard yet but concussion and pursuit of happiness are great

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

It's on my list as soon as it hits (free) streaming platforms

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Matrix sequels were probably her highest profile roles, but she's been in a lot of films (Nutty professor, Scream 2, Madagascar, Men in Black to name a few of the popular ones)

She was also a "good friend" of Tupac Shakur which gave her some prominence in the 90s

Also Fish Mooney from Gotham.

It was just Deadshot defending Fish Mooney.

DC for life

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You know if Mel Gibson thinks it's a little off, it's a little off. 

he wasn't even at the Oscars , so this photo get filled under , yet another twitter fake 

Edit - I believe the reactions are from LA LA land  / Moonlight debacle 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2