The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Since when is it OK to mock a medical problem or disability? It's a world away from the the likes of Ricky Gervais, which is about taking the piss out of Hollywood excess. Not that violence is the answer of course.

It depends on the person and what their sense of humour is like. I’ve seen people take the piss out of Stephen Hawking and he has joked back (via the machine).

Ricky Gervais took this piss out of one of directors or producers of a show he did being in a wheelchair and he laughed it off too.

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

It depends on the person and what their sense of humour is like. I’ve seen people take the piss out of Stephen Hawking and he has joked back (via the machine).

Ricky Gervais took this piss out of one of directors or producers of a show he did being in a wheel hair and he laughed it off too.

That's called knowing your audience. If it's somebody who's a friend of yours, and it's the sort of relationship where mutual abuse or piss-taking is seen as acceptable "bants" then fair enough. That obviously wasn't the case here though.

It's a shitty joke considering the context. But the amount of people (not on VT, just in general) using that to excuse Smith assaulting someone is remarkable 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Not sure on this.

Alopecia is grim, particularly for women. Hair is a big social thing for women, and having the choice taken away to have hair or not may not be life threatening but it heavily weighs on some people's mental health. JPS has said she's struggled with the mental health aspects of her illness. Rock taking the piss out of it is a bit grim.

That isn't to say that JPS is a good person, or that Smith was right to slap Rock for what he said, but Rock was wrong to say it.

Well you're right, and the post you're quoting is as just about as wrong and mean-spirited as it's possible to be. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a shitty joke considering the context. But the amount of people (not on VT, just in general) using that to excuse Smith assaulting someone is remarkable 

Yeah, he (Rock) possibly misjudged how the Smiths would receive it, but the reaction was way over the top. Rock even started the joke with “Jada, I love you”

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

What a fantastic unfortunate handle today

I've followed stuff this Will Smith has been involved with for years and it's been a running gag that he gets shit whenever the well known Smith is in the news, but this will be the worst day he's ever had on Twitter...

Just now, Chindie said:

I've followed stuff this Will Smith has been involved with for years and it's been a running gag that he gets shit whenever the well known Smith is in the news, but this will be the worst day he's ever had on Twitter...

Hopefully he can monetise the indirect interest somehow.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea what to make of it tbh, it was stupid joke but that kind of stuff seemingly goes hand in hand with this oscars nonsense, If Rock wanted to take the pi*s he should have done it to Smith rather than his wife,  Smith acted old school and stood up for his wife, but then again he initially laughed at the joke so it’s bizarre.

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

He seemed very upset but the slap was a bit hollywood. Who goes for a slap to the lower jaw? Only half his hand hit as well.

Still seems a bit suspect to me. 

While rock put both his hands behind his back and leant in to it... 

I don't believe it's fake because I can't find any way possible that Smith would buy in to doing it, no reason whatsoever for him to agree to that but its still weird

Just now, gwi1890 said:

If Rock wanted to take the pi*s he should have done it to Smith rather than his wife

Why? Jada Pinkett Smith is a very famous actor in her own right. She's not some random who is "just" Will Smith's wife

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Lovely :D There's a bloke that shares the same name and twitter-handle as MMA-fighter and total nonce Jon Jones. He trolls stupid MMA-fans hard whenever "Bones" does something stupid which is at least annually.