Pre match thread

mottaloo

I think Gerrard wanted to make changes in midfield but realized he couldn’t really. Options for Luiz were a kid who’s never played a minute with the first team, or moving Chambers to a position he hasn’t played in three years, or Sanson who also never played as a single 6 as far as I know. Making changes anyway would have only been to please angry fans.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Playing Luiz and McGinn might be something to do with protecting their value in the Summer? Might explain Watkins being given so many games despite being crap in all of them. 

Just an idea. Could be way wide of the mark. 

I think he's chose the 11 he thinks best able to win the game - don't think there's anything more to ii than that 

I wouldn't hold your breath for a major player turnover in the summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Playing Luiz and McGinn might be something to do with protecting their value in the Summer? Might explain Watkins being given so many games despite being crap in all of them. 

Just an idea. Could be way wide of the mark. 

that did cross my mind mate....but i wondered if i was just trying to justify it to myself......

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody in here can say Sanson deserves a shot or that he should play. He could be an awful trainer or just way off quality wise. Nobody on this forum sees him day in day out. 

Yes, it’s frustrating, but there is a reason he never plays. 

They can say it as much as you can say he doesn’t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think he's chose the 11 he thinks best able to win the game - don't think there's anything more to ii than that 

I wouldn't hold your breath for a major player turnover in the summer.

We’ll finish in the bottom half of the table again next year then.

Edited by Delphinho123

It looks like Gerrard believes the flat performance against Newcastle was down to being knackered from the Leeds game, rather than something more systemic.  It's a big call and if we create nothing for Ings, he won't score either.  Really want a performance today, I'm torn as to whether I'd rather lose but batter them, or win and play as badly as last week.  It's not normally a tough choice for me.

The day Sherwood first lost me is when he said “I’ll keep chopping and changing till I get it right” it was a completely different team each week and new formations. Someone else has a shocker today and they might be out the squad next week, knee jerk emotional decision is not the way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ll finish in the bottom half of the table again next year then.

Maybe they want to see a bit more from our head coach before embarking on a major and expensive rebuild.

He may bring in 3 or 4 players - but no mass exodus imo.

Glad he had the balls to drop Ollie but I’m like most, a little surprised, at lack of other changes after last week but I supposed this is our best team on paper with Konsa out if you ignore last weeks game.  That’s my only reading of it!

Oh well, that’s the team let’s go and get 3 points!  Not raining at the moment which is a bonus.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Absolutely. Did he just not consider this before his big statement of intent? He's made himself look very silly, so we'd better get a result

• Like 1