Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

Concerned about this one. A partisan crowd and we showed we can be incredibly naive defensively. Hoping for the same fight as shown against Everton. Hope Buendia is good to go - him, Coutinho and Ramsey would be too much for Newcastle. Guimares is a good player but no minutes in the league yet. Shelvey is slow and with intricate passing will be exposed. 

Edited by Villa87

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Concerned about this one. A partisan crowd and we showed we can be incredibly naive defensively. Hoping for the same fight as shown against Everton. Hope Buendia is good to go - him, Coutinho and Ramsey would be too much for Newcastle. Guimares is a good player but no minutes in the league yet. Shelvey is slow and with intricate passing will be exposed. 

I’m still not worried about ASM, we have dealt with him previously. But Bruno G is a top player and will probably start today. He’s going to be huge for Newcastle and could today be the difference between us controlling midfield or not.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not too fussed about this season, but failing to beat Leeds and Newcastle in back to back games would be pretty poor. 

I'm hoping for a response today. 

Tbf - I think today is a tougher game than it first appears.

I actually think the enforced changes may help us 

Really would like Ings to be given a go up front today. Disappointing we’re likely without Buendia as well, that’s a big blow. Could be a good opportunity for Chuk though. 

I think a draw is probably likely today. That win midweek wasn’t ideal and our record at their place is terrible as it is. 

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

Not surprised Leeds lost today, they put in a huge effort against us that they had several players collapsing with more than 10 minutes to go with cramp. They were probably ballbagged today.

Good point. When you see that Everton scored three, it makes even more sense.

Emi2 might be the only new injury concern. I'd go either Chuk or Ash.

Konza got himself a day off through stupidity. We bought Chambers to cover that side but Wood is a huge ariel threat so we could see big Korts in there.

Leaving us with a teaser up front, stick with Ollie or give Ings a shot.

Given our full injury situation, I think we still have adequate cover and a decent bench.

They need points and will go for it which will I think be their downfall, keep it tight and we will score goals. Hard fought out win for the Villa, but I also have this feeling that if we click for 90 mins we can blow them away.

I have bad feelings about this one too. Newcastle have looked much improved the last few games and defensively we were a shambles defensively against Leeds. My wife’s a Geordie and whilst she’s not into football I’m not looking forward to the grief from her family and friends if we lose. It’s like a local derby for me.

im really unsure what is going to happen here.

It could quite as easily be:

1) Great display of composure, attacking intent and solid defending, or

2) Weak minded, panic merchant, bottle job loss.

I'm leaning towards the second option, as Newcastle will have their tails up and come at us with physicality, which normally leads to option 2 happening.

The only positive i can take from the fact either can happen with us, is at least Gerrard gets to see the weak-minded, panic merchant, bottle job performances first hand, so he can see exactly who needs replacing in the summer.

Its funny that prematch the discourse is that we will get a bad result due to our dodgy defence. Yet post match, the discourse is that we should not be looking to change our defenders and we couldn't get better than Mings and so much effort is put into trying to find some way of absolving him accountability. 

I have no idea what to expect today. Toon is not a good side, we should be going out for a comfortable win. But the result is going to be determined by our defenders and whether the PL defenders turn up or the League 1 defenders turn up.