Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Watkins out. Has been utterly poor for most of the season. Time to give ings a run in the team

Hopefully traore will make the bench too. Dont think bailey is ready yet

I used to love Watkins, but it seems to me that he's been in a sulk since Ings joined. I think Ings should start this game.

Looks

20 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I used to love Watkins, but it seems to me that he's been in a sulk since Ings joined. I think Ings should start this game.

Looks like a one season wonder to me. Been found out this year.

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Season over if we lose this.

Huge concerns if we offer up another smelly performance.

Up the villa.

I don’t think we’ve got a cat in hells chance of getting Europe. The Brentford loss ended that. The main aim for this season is a top half finish which is still very achievable and making us look like an attractive proposition to future signings.

• Like 3

I’m interested to see what the response is like from the team.

Watched Newcastle the other day, thought Everton were poor, especially going forward. Digne will need to keep Trippier in his pocket as a lot of their attack came through him.

We really should be beating them.

I think there are a few decisions to be made with the starting line up. A few really poor performances mid week. I’d like to see this starting line up:

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

McGinn Sanson Ramsey

Buendia Couthino

Ings

For me with Chambers in for Konsa you can’t drop Mings too. Luiz is too lightweight in midfield. I’m hoping Sanson might add a bit more bite. And up front I think Ings is a better poacher type striker and will work better making runs that Couthino and Buendia can pick out. 

Hopefully Bailey makes the bench along with Traore back from AFCON. Those two and Watkins give us real scope to change the game going forward if needed. 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Season over if we lose this.

Huge concerns if we offer up another smelly performance.

Up the villa.

Its already over. We are not gettin europe,  out of the cups and not going down. Finishing top 10 is the goal this year.

Next season we need to be aiming higher than this. The amount we have spent we need to be doing better than linquering between 10th and 12th 

I think we can win this - I think Newcastle's style suits us a bit more than Leeds' does - I'm not sure we will win it, but I think we can.

Watkins is a conundrum - his style suits us a lot more than Ings' does - we need that bustle and workrate, his ability to occupy a defence - but he's short of confidence and form and things haven't quite been going for him - if he'd managed to stretch an extra few inches for a couple of the those crosses against Leeds and put one away then I think it would have done him the world of good. In theory, this is exactly what Ings is for - a second quality striker available from the bench so that they're constantly pushing each other and we've always got a goal threat - but Ing's own form hasn't been great either. I think for this one I'd stick with Watkins - but it's close.

At the back, Chambers makes sense positionally, but I'm coming round to the idea of bringing in Hause to counter Wood - watching Newcastle's last game they only have two real dangers; St Max and Trippier's dead balls - against Leeds we were weak in dealing with crosses and corners and having an extra big head in there might prove to be really useful if they're whipping in balls to Wood, Lascelles, Joelinton and co.

On performance I'd drop McGinn for Sanson - but the thing with McGinn is that he's always poor after a break, he needs football to maintain his fitness and energy - I'd play him for the U23's if we could - the more games he has, the better he is - so I'd keep him in, not because he's our best option for this game on form, but because his form will improve if we keep playing him and hopefully he'll be back to full meatball by our next one.

Other than that, leave it as it is, work on how we want to defend at BH and see how we go.

Oh, and in terms of aims for the season - I'd like to see if we can finish as top Midlands team for the first time in a long, long time, we're battling away with Leicester and while chasing down Wolves might seem a big ask with their seven point lead and sixteen games to go - we might still make it. I think that's a good first staging post for our ambitions, whether it be this season or next.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we can win this - I think Newcastle's style suits us a bit more than Leeds' does - I'm not sure we will win it, but I think we can.

Watkins is a conundrum - his style suits us a lot more than Ings' does - we need that bustle and workrate, his ability to occupy a defence - but he's short of confidence and form and things haven't quite been going for him - if he'd managed to stretch an extra few inches for a couple of the those crosses against Leeds and put one away then I think it would have done him the world of good. In theory, this is exactly what Ings is for - a second quality striker available from the bench so that they're constantly pushing each other and we've always got a goal threat - but Ing's own form hasn't been great either. I think for this one I'd stick with Watkins - but it's close.

At the back, Chambers makes sense positionally, but I'm coming round to the idea of bringing in Hause to counter Wood - watching Newcastle's last game they only have two real dangers; St Max and Trippier's dead balls - against Leeds we were weak in dealing with crosses and corners and having an extra big head in there might prove to be really useful if they're whipping in balls to Wood, Lascelles, Joelinton and co.

On performance I'd drop McGinn for Sanson - but the thing with McGinn is that he's always poor after a break, he needs football to maintain his fitness and energy - I'd play him for the U23's if we could - the more games he has, the better he is - so I'd keep him in, not because he's our best option for this game on form, but because his form will improve if we keep playing him and hopefully he'll be back to full meatball by our next one.

Other than that, leave it as it is, work on how we want to defend at BH and see how we go.

Makes a lot of sense. Interesting point about McGinn, hadn't made that link before but he was unusually quiet the other night. Doesn't seem to play well across the full 90 rather in bursts (same goes for a lot of others tbf). I'd agree with Hause over Chambers to try thwart the threat of Wood from Tripper and ASM's crosses. Watkins needs dropping, he's too often ineffective and isn't the threat he once was. He also seems to respond well to bring dropped so hopefully it'll give him some much needed fire in his belly. Ings is a pure finisher, may not possess the same press but he's got way more footballing intelligence than Watkins so should, in theory, work well with the vision of Buendia and Coutinho if both are available. 

5 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Ings is a pure finisher, may not possess the same press but he's got way more footballing intelligence than Watkins so should, in theory, work well with the vision of Buendia and Coutinho if both are available. 

I'd agree, Ings is a pure finisher, but I'm not sure that's what we need - we need someone who keeps centrebacks away from Coutinho and Buendia, someone who rushes defenders, who harries them, someone who can be a bully - we look like we can score goals from all over the place and while it's nice to have a pure finisher it's not Watkins finishing that I'm worried about replacing, I think we have that in the side anyway. For example, I think Davis would be a better fit than Archer in our system although Archer is a better goalscorer. 

It's a tricky one - and in fairness, they're both good players so there's probably not a wrong answer.

• Like 1