Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The only positive i can take from the fact either can happen with us, is at least Gerrard gets to see the weak-minded, panic merchant, bottle job performances first hand, so he can see exactly who needs replacing in the summer.

This is the remainder of the season for me, see who fits in with SGs style and who doesn't/ can't. Plan for next season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its funny that prematch the discourse is that we will get a bad result due to our dodgy defence. Yet post match, the discourse is that we should not be looking to change our defenders and we couldn't get better than Mings and so much effort is put into trying to find some way of absolving him accountability. 

I have no idea what to expect today. Toon is not a good side, we should be going out for a comfortable win. But the result is going to be determined by our defenders and whether the PL defenders turn up or the League 1 defenders turn up. 

The thing is, a dodgy defence doesn’t necessarily mean your defenders are poor. The same defence looked a lot more solid prior to Nakamba being injured. Defensive responsibilities are throughout the team. Fail to sort that and you’ll always concede too many chances. I do worry that we’ll lose the midfield battle today like we did against Leeds. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stratvillan said:

This is the remainder of the season for me, see who fits in with SGs style and who doesn't/ can't. Plan for next season. 

I agree, it is one last chance for some players to prove they can up their performance levels consistently and be worthy of a place int he team. I think SG will be ruthless with some

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Really would like Ings to be given a go up front today. Disappointing we’re likely without Buendia as well, that’s a big blow. Could be a good opportunity for Chuk though. 

I think a draw is probably likely today. That win midweek wasn’t ideal and our record at their place is terrible as it is. 

If Emi is out I'd push Ramsey up and start Sanson in midfield with Luiz and SJM. Chuk can come on later to replace Coutinho for the last 20 mins or so.

If Sanson was left on the bench in those circumstances I think it's pretty much game over for him.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

If Eddie Howe is worth the paper his inflated contract was printed on, he'll set up with Chris Wood bullying the hell out of Mings today. We're hopelessly fragile there.

Even more reason to start with Hause

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

If Eddie Howe is worth the paper his inflated contract was printed on, he'll set up with Chris Wood bullying the hell out of Mings today. We're hopelessly fragile there.

Seems like a perfect job for Hause, tbh. 

38 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

The thing is, a dodgy defence doesn’t necessarily mean your defenders are poor. The same defence looked a lot more solid prior to Nakamba being injured. 

The defence was also fine against Everton just last week. In that game we also dominated midfield, until Everton in second half decided to by-pass midfield completely and play hoofball.

18 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Against Everton last week, they were playing crosses into our box the whole of second half. Pretty easy for Mings. I agree Mings makes mistakes, but he’s not usually weak in the air or easily bullied.

If Buendia misses out push Ramsey into the front 3 and give Sanson another go in midfield. 

For the other selection, don't over think it and go with Hause. Much better at dealing with the route 1 stuff that is sure to make an appearance at some point if Newcastle struggle to score. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth I think Newcastle are absolutely shit, just like I did Leeds. Someone get stuck into ASM early on and we're halfway to winning. 

However we're just so inconsistent there's no real point having too much confidence now. 

• Like 2

Their defence is shoddy and slow and thick. Coutinho hat-trick incoming. If we take our chances we can put 4/5 past them - but we have to start fast. 

Also we need to be more compact from front to back we’ve been too far apart recently. 

• Like 1