Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

Big game. Their tales are up and we are notoriously poor up there. Watkins scored in those consecutive friendlies so can see why he started the Leeds game, but he is bang out of form and looks low on confidence so its time to give Ings a run now I think most would agree.

If Buendia is out, is push Ramsey up given his remarkable early understanding with Coutinho. Sanson can slot in next to McGinn. No Konsa, you’d imagine Chambers will get the nod.

Big game, about time we lay down a marker but its going to be difficult against a partisan crowd.

id go

Martinez

Cash - Chambers - Mings - Digne

Luiz

Sanson - McGinn

Ramsey - Coutinho

Ings

• Thanks 1

Given how we threw away the game last night and dropped 2 points, this now becomes a game we really have to win if we are to finish in the top 10 which looks more and more unlikely after every passing game we mess up. 

To be honest, these are a threat long term to us so beating them is very important for me. Need to try to send them down if we can.

I hope Buendia is fit but if not then Sanson seems the most likely to come in with Ramsey further forward. Hopefully Bailey and Traore make the bench at least. Chambers in for Konsa and Ings for Watkins seems most likely too and might actually be to our benefit as both Konsa and Watkins have been useless all season. 

We don't have a great record up there having not won at St James' since the 04/05 season and they've picked up some form having won their last 2 games. 

Therefore, I'm not particularly confident of anything other than a draw at best, but I was expecting us to beat Leeds and got that wrong so hopefully I'm wrong again.

• Like 1

Can see us losing this 2-1 Brentford style tbh.

They've picked up now, probably give Guimaraes his first start, ASM looked very good and if we're letting 2ft Dan James score a header then Chris Wood will be looking forward to this.

Can see Hause in at CB to counter crosses and Chambers in at DM.

As I mentioned elsewhere our record at St James is abysmal. Haven't scored more than a goal there in a game since 2005 when we last won there. Says it all that we've won twice at Old Trafford in that period.

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Given how we threw away the game last night and dropped 2 points, this now becomes a game we really have to win if we are to finish in the top 10 which looks more and more unlikely after every passing game we mess up. 

To be honest, these are a threat long term to us so beating them is very important for me. Need to try to send them down if we can.

I hope Buendia is fit but if not then Sanson seems the most likely to come in with Ramsey further forward. Hopefully Bailey and Traore make the bench at least. Chambers in for Konsa and Ings for Watkins seems most likely too and might actually be to our benefit as both Konsa and Watkins have been useless all season. 

We don't have a great record up there having not won at St James' since the 04/05 season and they've picked up some form having won their last 2 games. 

Therefore, I'm not particularly confident of anything other than a draw at best, but I was expecting us to beat Leeds and got that wrong so hopefully I'm wrong again.

I don't see the panic over 10th. Southampton are 1 point above us and they've been bottom 6 most of the season and will likely hit winless run soon. Leicester up and down and can't defend and Brighton in 9th draw loads of games.

More accurate I think is not getting some wins and 8th becomes more distant particularly as Wolves have a tricky run of games over next month so we could close in properly on them but mess up games like last night and we'll remain 6-7 points adrift.

Just getting a draw at Newcastle and beating Watford and we'd be likely top 10 but 8th isn't likely if we just draw both.

Some interesting choices to be made.

Personally I'd stick with Watkins for the moment, I'd think very hard about putting Sanson in for McGinn and I think Chambers is the natural choice to replace Konsa.

It sounds like Buendia and Coutinho should be fine and I think we can get at this Newcastle defence - it'll be whether we can keep them out that decides things I think.

Wouldn't bet against another 3-3.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some interesting choices to be made.

Personally I'd stick with Watkins for the moment, I'd think very hard about putting Sanson in for McGinn and I think Chambers is the natural choice to replace Konsa.

It sounds like Buendia and Coutinho should be fine and I think we can get at this Newcastle defence - it'll be whether we can keep them out that decides things I think.

Wouldn't bet against another 3-3.

I really don’t think we can drop McGinn. He was certainly off it last night and didn’t seem his combative self but he’s important to how we play. It’ll be another battle at the weekend.

Replacing Konsa will be interesting to see because Chambers should be his natural replacement. However, taking into account the opposition (ie Wood), Hause would be a far better match. I think Gerrard will go with Chambers though.

Just hope Coutinho and Buendia recover fully to both start. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't see the panic over 10th. Southampton are 1 point above us and they've been bottom 6 most of the season and will likely hit winless run soon. Leicester up and down and can't defend and Brighton in 9th draw loads of games.

More accurate I think is not getting some wins and 8th becomes more distant particularly as Wolves have a tricky run of games over next month so we could close in properly on them but mess up games like last night and we'll remain 6-7 points adrift.

Just getting a draw at Newcastle and beating Watford and we'd be likely top 10 but 8th isn't likely if we just draw both.

Catching Wolves is looking more and more unlikely but I'm right to panic about top 10 seeing as this is the start of a good run and we've already slipped up against Leeds.

Looking at our next four games, all winnable but with our state of throwing things away and not defending properly I'm not convinced we'll win any except maybe Watford. Especially as Southampton just went to Spurs and won.

Also Leicester and Brighton have the advantage of playing us at home, we've already played them at VP. 

IF Gerrard can fix our defence, and it's a big if, we can get top 10 but we just look far too open every game which is why I can't understand for the life of me that we haven't signed a DM in the last 2 transfer windows.

Add to that misfiring strikers and we're just going to be reliant on Coutinho and Ramsey every game unless the others pull their socks up and start justifying their place in the team.

• Like 1

I think most would agree that the ones in bold if fit will definitely start:

GK - Emi

RB - Cash

CB - Hause or Chambers  

CB - Mings

LB - Digne

DM - Chambers or Luiz

CM - McGinn or Sanson or Chuk

CM - Ramsey

AM - Buendia

CF - Watkins or Ings

AM - Coutinho

Part of me would like to see Hause at the back and Chambers in DM which may give us a more solid looking base to let the flair players do their stuff - But not ideal to have two left footers in CD.

I think I'd stick with both McGinn and Watkins but they need to both vastly improve from last night and particularly in Watkins case he needs to be dragged at HT if it's not working.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think most would agree that the ones in bold if fit will definitely start:

GK - Emi

RB - Cash

CB - Hause or Chambers  

CB - Mings

LB - Digne

DM - Chambers or Luiz

CM - McGinn or Sanson or Chuk

CM - Ramsey

AM - Buendia

CF - Watkins or Ings

AM - Coutinho

Part of me would like to see Hause at the back and Chambers in DM which may give us a more solid looking base to let the flair players do their stuff - But not ideal to have two left footers in CD.

I think I'd stick with both McGinn and Watkins but they need to both vastly improve from last night and particularly in Watkins case he needs to be dragged at HT if it's not working.

On McGinn, you seem to group his level of performance as the same as watkins. Watkins literally did nothing. Mcginn not at his best but far, far better than ollie.

Also, mcginn is undroppable - SG absolutely loves him

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

On McGinn, you seem to group his level of performance as the same as watkins. Watkins literally did nothing. Mcginn not at his best but far, far better than ollie.

Also, mcginn is undroppable - SG absolutely loves him

Yes I agree, apologies, I shouldn't have categorised them both performing at the same level.

McGinn wasn't at his best last night but he has been performing pretty well overall since Gerrard came in - Watkins hasn't.

I don't think any player should be "undroppable" but I do agree SG loves him - And I feel more confident when he's in the side for sure.

59 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Yes I agree, apologies, I shouldn't have categorised them both performing at the same level.

McGinn wasn't at his best last night but he has been performing pretty well overall since Gerrard came in - Watkins hasn't.

I don't think any player should be "undroppable" but I do agree SG loves him - And I feel more confident when he's in the side for sure.

Yep - nail on head. 

Every time I come to predict a game....I have an echo in my mind of "easy to play against", " easy to play against"

While this trait, is an ever present ....I just can't see where we are going.

Its great to have world class players in the side and super up and coming stars....but if we can't offer them a platform to play from, their toils are fruitless.

every game now, is a flip of a coin for me.

• Like 1