Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd agree, Ings is a pure finisher, but I'm not sure that's what we need - we need someone who keeps centrebacks away from Coutinho and Buendia, someone who rushes defenders, who harries them, someone who can be a bully - we look like we can score goals from all over the place and while it's nice to have a pure finisher it's not Watkins finishing that I'm worried about replacing, I think we have that in the side anyway. For example, I think Davis would be a better fit than Archer in our system although Archer is a better goalscorer. 

It's a tricky one - and in fairness, they're both good players so there's probably not a wrong answer.

Very valid and I understand what you're saying. It does feel a complete waste to have a striker leading the line who we aren't expected to score, but the other work they need to do definitely frees up the likes of Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsay to get on the scoresheet. Watkins's overall involvement is so lacking in every department right now that I guess I just feel having Ings isn't any worse than Watkins and given the opportunity (ala, Brentford away) Ings is more likely to score. Also dropping Watkins will be good for us in the long run as he is playing like he's too comfortable with his starting position so you'd hope he's improve if he knew his place was at risk. It currently doesn't look that way as Watkins starts regardless.

But I definitely take the point that Ings with his style of play isn't perfectly suited to our shape, but we've only got him ro Watkins and the latter is massively flattering to deceive right now. Time to give Ings a run.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

who is going to take responsibility for ASM. Cash cant do it alone.  McGinn, Luiz and maybe Chambers will have to help out. 

That's going to be an interesting one too - our defensive plan is to force people to go down the sides of us and stop them running down the middle (which would work better if we defended crosses better) - St Max seems to prefer to come inside and dribble at you in the inside channel rather than down the line - whether we can reduce his effectiveness by forcing him wide and making him put crosses in rather than shots might be a massive factor in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

who is going to take responsibility for ASM. Cash cant do it alone.  McGinn, Luiz and maybe Chambers will have to help out. 

Its easier to cut off the supply....once he's got the ball, it'll be like the "Keystone Cops"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It'll be a very tough game. We'll probably lose though.

When you are easy to play against.....every game is tough.

Whether, we can deal with it now or wait until the summer, we have find some form of resillience.

I think avoid relegation, this season and in the summer, build a proper balanced side, with players who can defend, when we haven't got the ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whether, we can deal with it now or wait until the summer, we have find some form of resillience.

I think avoid relegation, this season and in the summer, build a proper balanced side, with players who can defend, when we haven't got the ball.

Yes I think we will safely avoid relegation but Newcastle away is a very tough fixture. i'd be happy with a point. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Agree with all that except the relegation bit. Even though we are awful defensively we have so much quality going forward that our aim has to be finishing top 9 or 10 and we won't be anywhere near the bottom 3. 

Having said that, the manner in which we give away such easy goals frustrates me and makes me think we'll finish 11th or 12th. 

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agree with all that except the relegation bit. Even though we are awful defensively we have so much quality going forward that our aim has to be finishing top 9 or 10 and we won't be anywhere near the bottom 3. 

Having said that, the manner in which we give away such easy goals frustrates me and makes me think we'll finish 11th or 12th. 

I'd take 11th or 12th now.

Those teams down there are going scrap for their lives.....I hope you are right, that we have too much going forward, but even our strikers have dried up.

Leeds are a very good team at showing up our shortfalls/weaknesses......I hope SG et al, has a clear view of what we need in the summer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Cash is reliant for ATM?

Money... Three wheeled car... Naughty sexual act. 

What's it got to do with Villa though?