Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I used to love Witsel but not sure about him nowadays. His type would suit a change to a more possession based style but is he fit enough?

So far it's all just paper talk but it does sound like Villa are planning for a different transfer approach, going for 30-35 year olds. It makes sense in a way because young players will want to play in Europe and improve their careers by being seen, while older players may be happy with a lucrative contract instead of Europe. It could work if those older players have an Ashley Young type of mentality, but could also be risky in case they don't. Doing a light "rebuild" by signing a number of older players in key positions will also make it necessary to rebuild again pretty soon.  

Appreciate the considered approach to the discussion. I think some of what you'd said would be bang on point. Some of it I'm simply not aware enough to comment. 

My view is there plenty of life left in a 33 year old who doesn't have any health concerns. If they've played to a standard before then unless their bodies aren't able to do it anymore they will be able to emulate it again given the right environment, but the latter aspect of it is important as anything else. If the desire is there along with the discipline to maintain over a season, for what's lacking in youth should be made up for with nous, wily, and know how.

Edited by A'Villan

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Guys said the same about nzonzi.

Ended up playing well at Roma as far as I'm aware. 

Nzonzi is the same age as Witsel now and he joined Roma in 2019. He played for them for one season, then they loaned him out for two before letting him leave to a Qatari club. 

Not sure why you'd be so keen for us to sign a player you've admitted to not watching for a while anyway! If several people who have watched him are saying he isn't up to it anymore I'm inclined to believe them until I catch a game myself and see otherwise. I might actually try and do that as he seems to have played for them quite a lot this year.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Barkley? 😉

Better wait for the January window, he’ll be 29 then. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, duke313 said:

If Chelsea go out of business, are there any players of theirs we could get?

Ball n chain  has said she’ll buy me a shirt for my birthday and I can have any players name printed on the back. So I hope we get Arrizabalaga. I want to fleece her the wench. 

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Barkley? 😉

Sign him up

spacer.png

spacer.png

22 hours ago, nick76 said:

Barkley? 😉

The Barkley experience is a great gauge of our progress and fan expectation.

In the span of a few months, we went from ecstacy over signing such an awesome player of the type that we'd usually never been able to sign over recent years, to universal derision.

His antics whenever he got subbed off were **** embarrassing. 

I think Coutinho is being started in every game to get as much information about him as possible and to make him confident he is assured game time at Villa should he join. 

Once a permanent player I'd expect Gerrard to start Buendia ahead of him from time to time and with one more forward signing to add to the squad. I think we're in a good place with

Watkins Ings, new CF

Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey

Throw in Archer and you've a front 7 there with a lot of talent

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Man im so gutted we didnt go for tammy what a opportunity missed. He ia absolutely tearing it up. Another goal tonight too.  I reckon 35m-40m prob could have got him. Now he will be double that

He moved for 36 I think so yes that price you mentioned would have got him.

Lots of people, myself included didn't get buying Ings as he wasn't the type of player who would fit in to our team and was 29.

I said last summer if we are spending lots on a striker it should be Tammy and if we were going cheap it should have been Edouard.

Edited by paul514

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Man im so gutted we didnt go for tammy what a opportunity missed. He ia absolutely tearing it up. Another goal tonight too.  I reckon 35m-40m prob could have got him. Now he will be double that

Yep

On 04/05/2022 at 15:33, duke313 said:

If Chelsea go out of business, are there any players of theirs we could get?

Xavier Simons, George McEachran, Thierno Ballo, Dion Rankine, Sam McLelland and Josh Brooking are academy players that will be out of contract in the summer and currently they cannot offer them new ones. 

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not, he just misses too many chances. He's always scored fewer goals than his xG and continues to do so.

He's scored 15 league goals and 13 non penalty goals. His non pen goals per 90 is 0.42 hardly prolific!  (Watkins is on 0.32 for us this season and was 0.38 last season) His non Pen xG per 90 is 17.6 and he's scored 13 goals! He's consistently under performed his xG by a bigger margin than Watkins. Watkins is a better finisher

Lukaku did wonders at Inter and it hasn't worked back in the Prem. So you do have to factor in the league quality too.

I think we're in a good place with Watkins (4 in last 9) and Ings (2 and 4 assists in last 6), with Archer thrown in and a new signing (I still want Suarez for 12 months his goals per 90 is 0.56 even this season).

Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey all to be our other attacking talents. That's a quality set of attacking players with a full pre season together.

Hickie coming in would be big as I can see him being a left sided midfielder and a full back. He's over 6 foot tall and bulking up he has the physicality for midfield and full back. I think he's a very talented and versatile player who will get mins. IF we get one of the CDMs we're linked to (I rate them all) that's another key position. 

I see Konsa leaving and a new right sided CB coming in who is key to Gerrards press resistant passing (Gomez fits the bill). I think we'll sign another experienced no8 and I hope it's Wijnaldum. 

People can say oh look he's building a team of ex Liverpool players. I'd say look at what those players have done, what they've won, what experience they would bring and what our younger players would learn off them. Archer would be pinching himself learning from Suarez. We'd have a midfield leader of highest level in Wijnaldum. 

The outs would be. AEG, Trez, Guilbert, Konsa, Sanson, Traore, Luiz, Nakamba, Davis and Chukwuemeka