Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

22 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Found a graph showing Ligue 1 midfielders defensive and progressive contributions (assume it's made about six months ago since Wijnaldum and Guimaraes are both in there).

ligue1.jpg

Defensive actions per 90 is basically just a glorified successful pressures per 90 stat. Because on average, players have a lot more successful pressures per 90 than interceptions or tackles won, the metric ends up just  being heavily weighted to successful pressures over the other two stats. Which is an issue because the stat portrays itself as if its trying to do a comprehensive measure of a player's entire defensive contribution, when its really just measuring one aspect. And its not uncommon for players to have really good defensive stats in one area, and terrible defensive stats in another. You cannot measure a player's defensive ability just by referring to a single stat.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, Wijnaldum's defensive stats have always been average at best and terrible at worst. Its not just a Serie A or PSG thing, he's just never been good defensively even when he was at Liverpool. This graph calling Wijnaldum a goal threat is just weird too. There's nothing in the graph or from his other stats that indicate he's a goal threat. The guy only has a single goal in Serie A this season.

Honestly, Wijnaldum is a bit of a weird player stats wise. The only aspect of his game across his time at Liverpool at PSG that he's been exceptional at is passing accuracy. He constantly posts some of the highest passing accuracy numbers from season to season, however its balanced out by the fact that he's not a very progressive player, not a good chance creator which means the vast majority of those passes are safe sideways passes as supported by this graph. I used to deride Ashley Westwood types of midfielders but the success Wijnaldum has had in the middle of that Liverpool team has made me consider my position on that. Perhaps, these kinds of players really are more important to the team. And crucially, it could be just what our team needs, seeing our inability to control possession in the middle of the park and to string a couple of accurate passes together. 

But seeing Douglas Luiz's problems for us makes me think maybe not. We might just not really play with a system that requires a distributor like that. And as a result, Wijnaldum if he does come to us might do no better for us than at PSG.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Found a graph showing Ligue 1 midfielders defensive and progressive contributions (assume it's made about six months ago since Wijnaldum and Guimaraes are both in there).

ligue1.jpg

I have absolutely zero interest in what he's done in Ligue 1. I only care what he did in the Premier League. So if we have a nice chart of the 20/21 season or the 19/20 season that would be swell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Grealish at least looks like he cares. Wijnaldum barely looks bothered, its a red flag a club wants you gone 6 months after signing 

More of the same hilarious comments - as per usual - from yourself.

Jurgen Klopp 

"As a team we said our goodbyes to Gini at Anfield after the final game of the season. There was the public farewell on the pitch with the guard of honour. But then a more private occasion also."

"It was difficult for all of us because of how much this astonishing person means to the group. He’s been a big part of our lives for so long. There is nothing I won’t miss about him."

“I will miss the player he is like crazy, highest-quality ability, one of the smartest players I have ever had the privilege to coach. His contribution was off the scale, a manager’s dream."

Klopp further went onto say: "But as a person he’ll leave just as big a hole. A more giving individual you could not wish to meet."

"Gini is very strong and opinionated, but his motivation is only to help the team always. His teammates adored him and respected him in equal measure."

“His smile lit up our workplace. He was a huge part of our beating heart."

"Farewell, Gini: you came, you saw, you won the lot. You’re a Liverpool legend now and forever."

Hmmm, who is this Jurgen Klopp person? Should we give his opinion more credence then we give your opinion? Hmmmmm

I don't trust this Jurgen person. I think you're right Wijnaldum is a bad egg. He will not give effort. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But seeing Douglas Luiz's problems for us makes me think maybe not. We might just not really play with a system that requires a distributor like that. And as a result, Wijnaldum if he does come to us might do no better for us than at PSG.

Villa often try and progress the ball quickly, playing relatively difficult passes (McGinn) and lots of one touch passing (Ramsey and others) which often ends in lost possession. The coaching staff could of course work to change this, but don't see any real signs of that yet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hmmm, who is this Jurgen Klopp person? Should we give his opinion more credence then we give your opinion? Hmmmmm

I don't trust this Jurgen person. I think you're right Wijnaldum is a bad egg. He will not give effort. 

Is Jurgen Klopp now employed by PSG to give an opinion on the current situation? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I have absolutely zero interest in what he's done in Ligue 1. I only care what he did in the Premier League. So if we have a nice chart of the 20/21 season or the 19/20 season that would be swell.

While there could be value in the market if we manage to 'rehabilitate' players it's very dangerous to completely ignore how they are currently playing and instead just judge on the last time they were good. Eden Hazard took about a month to lose it after leaving Chelsea!

Do you not also think it's important context that he isn't doing it in by far the best team in a weaker league?

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

While there could be value in the market if we manage to 'rehabilitate' players it's very dangerous to completely ignore how they are currently playing and instead just judge on the last time they were good. Eden Hazard took about a month to lose it after leaving Chelsea!

Do you not also think it's important context that he isn't doing it in by far the best team in a weaker league?

If he was with PSG for 3 or so seasons and was under performing yeah I'd give it more weight. But he's not with them a year yet. We've 5 seasons with Liverpool (where we are trying to exactly copy their midfield and defensive set up with the attacking full backs) to look at. So same League as we are in and same system. 

Do people think if Lukaku went back to Italy he wouldn't be a success again? or is he now scrapheap player because of the struggles with Chelsea?

Wijnaldum is playing different roles at PSG, plus he's in a team where the front three do absolutely nothing when out of possession as polar opposite to Liverpools front three as it comes. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not seeing his runs like we didn’t see Hogan’s runs .

This made me laugh more than it should. 

I always had to chuckle in the Scott Hogan thread when some posters were adamant he wasn’t getting the service and other players weren’t spotting his runs. 

They conveniently forgot the bloke couldn’t control a football. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This made me laugh more than it should. 

I always had to chuckle in the Scott Hogan thread when some posters were adamant he wasn’t getting the service and other players weren’t spotting his runs. 

They conveniently forgot the bloke couldn’t control a football. 

I gave him the benefit of doubt as was Bruceball but Smith dumped him as soon as he could was a sign he wasnt up to it

19 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think I've heard of Klopp yeah.

The guy who isn't PSG manager?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think I've heard of Klopp yeah.

The guy who isn't PSG manager?

Yeah I googled him. It turns out he's the coach of Liverpool who play in the same league as Villa, the Premier League and are they're one of the best teams. Seems Wijnaldum played for him for 5 years in a midfield 3 with attacking full backs the system Gerrard is replicating at Villa. 

Then Klopp let Wijnaldum go on a free and he as expected went on to have a poor season at PSG. Legs and lungs are gone or going.

He doesn't have IT anymore. Constantly one step too slow this season and not quite there in most situations. 

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Then Klopp let Wijnaldum go on a free and he as expected went on to have a poor season at PSG. Legs and lungs are gone or going.

He doesn't have IT anymore. Constantly one step too slow this season and not quite there in most situations. 

He's only just turned 31. Legs and Lungs gone is laughable. Klopp wanted him to stay and they offered him contracts. He wanted a new challenge. 

Like who do we think we are, our fans turning their noses up and elite players who have won the lot. Only Villa fans are this bad

People only want us to sign players from Europe with nice youtube packages. More Leon Baileys and Sansons please. All need to be young, inexperienced and lots of potential. That's exactly what we need, a squad of those please. 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's only just turned 31. Legs and Lungs gone is laughable. Klopp wanted him to stay and they offered him contracts. He wanted a new challenge. 

Like who do we think we are, our fans turning their noses up and elite players who have won the lot. Only Villa fans are this bad

Again, have you watched him for PSG?

Have you watched Suarez for Madrid this season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Have you contemplated the idea that Wijnaldum just might not suit the PSG system? Or might just be having a poor season? Messi is looking fairly shite compared to Barca Messi, are we going to turn our noses up at him? Neymar's not been at the races this year, we turning him down too? Have his legs and lungs gone now he's turned the big three-0h?

31 and his 'legs and lungs' have gone. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Why on earth does it matter how he has got on at that mess of a club PSG this season. I've seen him captaining Liverpool less than a year ago in the system we play. He hasn't suddenly lost all his ability in that space of time. I have seen how much of a mess PSG is, turning Messi into poo. A front 3 who do absolutely nothing out of possession. 

Players are now only as good as their recent form, a massive body of work in the right system in the right League is now irrelevant.

My brain hurts on this forum. Even low levels of simple intelligence absent