Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

13 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Sounds far fetched Villa would offer him £330K per week, that's more than Kante makes at Chelsea.

Yeah think some of those figures have been lost in translation, Kondogbia is 15m ish bracket.

Is Hector Herrera not rated much now? I remember him being seen as a talent for Mexico and Porto so guess he hasn't progressed? He could be an alternative to look at given he's also a squad player for Atletico Madrid.

Edit: Just seen he's going to MLS.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Between us and Newcastle for Witsel's signature. According to the press.

33, can’t see it.  Will have to open a nursing home beside villa park at this rate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

33, can’t see it.  Will have to open a nursing home beside villa park at this rate.

One of the better players in his position for a time, I've not paid him any attention for a while mind, but provided he's not had anything causing his body to deteriorate rapidly and dramatically, 33 is fine to hold your own.

Recruitment for the future is fine. Doing so to get where we want to be in the immediate future means we are also competing with the best clubs on the planet, from a playing personnel and scouting perspective. And we aren't in a position to do that at will and on our own terms. I think we were blessed to get a player of Bailey's abilities, and yet so many aren't satisfied there.

The club and its directors understand they need to appease the expectations of fans as by creating the necessary successes. 

Signing the best up and coming talent at every step along the way will only ensure there's considerable periods where we don't recruit. And that is a recipe for risking stagnation or even regression. 

It's there for anyone to see that under SG we need to recruit to improve. 

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Witsel isnt good anymore, would be a flop in England. Dortmund defence is so dreadful and Witsel is one of the few to blame for that

Perhaps our team think they could amend that in the setup we want to create?

I don't follow Dortmund so don't have any opinions or insights on the situation. 

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

a 33yr old on a two year deal provided he's still a good enough player is absolutely fine. 

No issue with his age, his injury record isn't great though.

12 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Perhaps our team think they could amend that in the setup we want to create?

I don't follow Dortmund so don't have any opinions or insights on the situation. 

They are 2nd in the table with the 11th best defence in the league. Him and Hummels are 2 of the biggest problems at Dortmund 

He is 33 and wont improve

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I used to love Witsel but not sure about him nowadays. His type would suit a change to a more possession based style but is he fit enough?

So far it's all just paper talk but it does sound like Villa are planning for a different transfer approach, going for 30-35 year olds. It makes sense in a way because young players will want to play in Europe and improve their careers by being seen, while older players may be happy with a lucrative contract instead of Europe. It could work if those older players have an Ashley Young type of mentality, but could also be risky in case they don't. Doing a light "rebuild" by signing a number of older players in key positions will also make it necessary to rebuild again pretty soon.  

• Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

Signing old over the hill players is not what i wanted for this club tbh.

Think Gerrard is just signing players he remembers from his own playing days

43 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Signing old over the hill players is not what i wanted for this club tbh.

Aye. I'd hoped we moved past this (which I think we have, really, and this is just the usual clickbait bullshit).

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Guy must be well into his 30s now? Could see logic a few years back but that would be very short term move. Given how many goals Dortmund ship aswell I wouldn't say he's that good a DM anymore either.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

a 33yr old on a two year deal provided he's still a good enough player is absolutely fine. 

Isn't Joao Moutinho on a free this summer?

I'd actually take him on a one year deal alongside a new DM. Could be a good rotation option to replace Luiz and obviously offer more than Sanson.

So that's where an experienced head for a year could benefit us.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If they have set their sights on Kondogbia, part of the reason could be that some of the other alternatives are too hard to get. Many top clubs would want Kamara for free.

I'm convinced it is for one reason, those crap quizzes "footballers named after foods" so we will always have an entry with "Korndogbia".