Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

On 27/01/2022 at 20:37, useless said:

He's got a good footballing brain, came through Southampton's academy when they were producing good players. The kind that is underrated by other fans, but fans ot the team that he plays for appreciate him. He's also made over one hundred appearances for Arsenal, a team who haven't finished outside of the top eight since the early nineties, and play in Europe most seasons, so basically a team who've been in his time there where we're trying to get to, he hasn't been a regular for them, but we're not buying him to be a regular for us either. This is what he's capable of...

Great goal, and good assist by Mings, Mings did well to trap the ball and lay it to Chambers, only just realized that they both would have been in the academy together at Southampton, Southampton produced some good players from that era, a lot of them technically very good as well.

Funny really, this guy is the real triumph of the transfer window, for all the heat and noise around the other signings, and the unbounded joy of having Coutinho in the side.

Can’t say I had ever really noticed him until he came to Villa but he is a revelation. He has slotted in quietly and calmly and is very solid in defence - something we really benefit from. 

And has a bit of quality when in front of goal on tonight’s showing!

• Like 2

Looking like Emi Martinez MK II from Arsenal’s angle. What a steal, mad to think he’s only just turned 27, his market value has already tripled from his few showings at the very least. Shrewd signing indeed 

• Like 1

Always thought he was a tidy player at Arsenal, but think he’s suffered from the changes to managers over recent years.

Its also great for Konsa to have genuine competition for his place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Always thought he was a tidy player at Arsenal, but think he’s suffered from the changes to managers over recent years.

Its also great for Konsa to have genuine competition for his place.

From my buddy who is a big Arsenal guy.

“Honestly, good for him - always liked Callum. I had no problem with salary-dumping Kolasinac or even Auba, but Chambers is a versatile, useful player who doesn't make that much money so I wasn't thrilled that we gave him away. Glad to see him doing well, though.”

• Like 1

I like Konsa and think he’s a good defender but this is why I said a few weeks ago us Villa fans overrate him massively. 

Chambers is probably better on the ball and is defending just as well. A really good bit of business this is turning out to be. 

• Like 1

It makes a huge difference that we have somebody confident enough on the ball from the back to assist, score and just play the odd forward pass when playing out.

Previously, we only ever played out through Mings. This takes a lot of pressure off his shoulders and it's showing in our clean sheets.

He should continue to start - Konsa needs to raise his game to get back in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Konsa is a very good player, but I think there are early signs that Chambers complements Mings (who remains by far our most important defender) much better than Ezri does. A nice problem to have, as all three are comfortably top half PL centre backs IMO

I wouldnt go that far. Its been only a couple games. Konsa and mings ahve had a very successful relationship over the years. I think the main issue lately esp was the protection of the back four. Luiz and mcginn have really stepped up last few games

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wouldnt go that far. Its been only a couple games. Konsa and mings ahve had a very successful relationship over the years. I think the main issue lately esp was the protection of the back four. Luiz and mcginn have really stepped up last few games

All fair points mate and you're right to point out the midfield is much improved - I think having real competition in defence should improve all three of them, which can only be a positive thing. It's easy to forget how young Konsa is (especially for a CB), his form has dipped a bit recently but he'll be back at a high level soon enough 

• Like 1

Just now, icouldtelltheworld said:

All fair points mate and you're right to point out the midfield is much improved - I think having real competition in defence should improve all three of them, which can only be a positive thing. It's easy to forget how young Konsa is (especially for a CB), his form has dipped a bit recently but he'll be back at a high level soon enough 

Completely agree pal 👍 

• Like 1

I've said previously that I think Konsa will be replaced by Gerrard before Mings solely down to his (comparative) lack of ability on the ball. This isn't hyperbolic after last night or Saturday by Chambers, but I think Gerrard will want a player at centre-half who can pass a ball and be able to carry it out of defence, and look comfortbale passing it under pressure. I have never felt that Konsa has the qualities needed as good a defender as he is and if we want to really push on it will be a Chambers-esque type centre half and not a Konsa one.

Edited by peterw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Midfield is so much better partly because fullbacks aren’t as high up, which means midfield players don’t have to perform fullback duties as much. We’ve stopped shooting ourselves in the foot.

21 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Will tell us as much about Konsa’s mental resolve more than anything. He can throw a bit of a strop at times. He doesn’t get benched. Had 70 league games played for Charlton before he was 20. In his mind - he starts games. Always. Chambers deserves the start right now though. He’s played himself in. 

Bit of insight on that.

Konsa was one of the last players into the tunnel last night, celebrated with the fans and the players. He looked absolutely delighted with the win. Great to see!

• Like 3

Â