Luis Suarez

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are people ignoring this post that seemingly renders all talk of this signing obsolete. I think this link will be played down today by one of the more reliable journalists, or Gerrard himself will dismiss it in his press conferece for the Everton game.

Because it's already reported that Suarez isn't getting a new contract at Athletico. So he's now able to discuss contracts outside of Spain. They are trying to get into the news by pushing Suarez to Villa as that's an easy link, gets in the media and gets interest in Suarez. 

He might not get a new contract, but he will probably be staying with them until the summer, which I think is what the journalist who broke the news is staying, the idea that he's coming this window is a mistranslation. And a lot can happen between now and the summer.

15 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Indeed. Character. As in moral character, rather than simple will-to-win.  The one (rather important) area where Luis Suarez has been found to be utterly lacking throughout his entire career. All of his notorious “incidents” are followed by a string of denials and excuses – often so bad they are unintentionally comical – until public opinion forces some kind of damage-control insincere apology. A terrible role model for our young players (not to mention the exact opposite of Gerrard’s “zero excuse” mantra).

Maybe, just maybe, I could forgive him for repeatedly biting other humans (three times, is it?) due to some kind of psychological disorder, but his racial abuse of Patrice Evra – an 8 match ban and £40,000 fine – means I never want to see this man in Aston Villa colours. I also cannot think of a more divisive character to bring into the dressing room.

I have just gone and read his version of the incident in his autobiography, no doubt carefully crafted with the help of his agent and PR team. Even after all that, his “defence” remains that he only called Evra an N-word once, and it wasn’t the worst N-word, and he just can’t see what silly old Patrice is getting so hot under the collar about. Give me strength. (I had actually forgotten about his subsequent refusal to shake the hand offered by Evra when they next met until it was mentioned it in this thread. Absolute disgrace).

The Liverpool team’s decision to all wear pre-match t-shirts in defence of Suarez while the case was ongoing remains one of the most misguided and ignorant decisions of the modern football era, and should be a source of extreme embarrassment for that club.

I really don’t think we need to be associating ourselves with any of this.

The N word in question is apparently not deemed racist in Uruguay and is actually seen as affectionate.  Cavani got punished for using it too. 

I don’t think Suarez is racist or a nasty person in any way. I just think he’s a complete idiot.  He comes across as a petulant child. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

He might not get a new contract, but he will probably be staying with them until the summer, which I think is what the journalist who broke the news is staying, the idea that he's coming this window is a mistranslation. And a lot can happen between now and the summer.

Yes, I think everyone is aware it's when he's out of contract we might sign him. Only small remote possibility is if Ings was sold / loaned in summer and we gave Suarez 1 year contract. It makes little sense as Ings is on 120k so a loan is problematic. We'd need a Loan fee of 8.3m and his wages covered to break even on him. 

It won't happen because it makes no sense given the players we have in the CG position.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've been thinking about this. 

What we're doing is really how Chelsea and Manc Citeh started.  Get some ageing big names in which makes it easier to attract younger top quality players who are attracted to play with those names. 

He may well be just a stopgap to help us fill a short term need (we're struggling to hit the back of the net) and to enhance the club profile. 

Maybe we would have got JWP in the summer if he could play under Gerrard and alongside Suarez and Coutinho. Maybe we will get our next younger target because of that, who we otherwise wouldn't under Smith and alongside Watkins and Luiz. 

As others have said there are some older strikers doing the business in the PL currently.  And if this LA Villains thing does come to be we can presumably offset some costs down the line. 

I'm not keen but it probably makes more sense than it first appears. 

I don’t disagree in principle with the points you’re making, but at some point a player still gets too old to be worth it (or excite people). I think 35 is past that point.

We’re aiming to make a push for the top 6, not setting up a chain of retirement homes. The players we give big wage packets to need to be able to drive us forwards.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The N word in question is apparently not deemed racist in Uruguay and is actually seen as affectionate.  Cavani got punished for using it too. 

I don’t think Suarez is racist or a nasty person in any way. I just think he’s a complete idiot.  He comes across as a petulant child. 

This is nonsense, the context he did so was not per Cavani it was during a heated conversation with high tensions. This sort of benefit of the doubt is really not helpful, he more than likely (and according to an FA investigation) knew what he was doing. 

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

This is nonsense, the context he did so was not per Cavani it was during a heated conversation with high tensions. This sort of benefit of the doubt is really not helpful, he more than likely (and according to an FA investigation) knew what he was doing. 

Fair point. Still think he’s just an idiot rather than a racist. He is quarter black-Uruguayan himself. 

Anyway this is going off topic.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

The discussion is around which club he signs a Bosman contract with this month. It sounds like a few clubs have offered him one this month (including us) and he's deciding. The contract is signed six months out from the end of his current deal and he begins with the new club in summer.  

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He won’t come until one of them goes, and I think it’s Watkins. It would be a smart move. We’ll get a huge amount for Watkins now. Replace with Suarez (while Ings is around). Take our tike findingvthe proper replacement as strikers are hard to find.

Ground control to major Tom ! 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. Still think he’s just an idiot rather than a racist. He is quarter black-Uruguayan himself. 

Anyway this is going off topic.

I'd agree with this. He should've known better and thought before he spoke, but those accusing him of racism should do the same and read up about the culture/country first to better understand it.

• Like 2