• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Hause (Konsa 45)
    • Coutinho (Sanson 68)
    • Chukwuemeka (Ings 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/01/22 at 23:59

Watching the Man Utd's first goal several times ... contributing to the goal, apart from Martinez's bobble was (for me) Mac Phee's set up for defending this set piece. 

Problem 1, a one man wall, when there are two people standing over the ball.
Problem 2, Ings (I think) gets sucked in when the free kick is taken by the taker breaking left, Ings takes an initial step to his right.
Problem 3, By the time Ings realizes the problem he is late too late to intercept the shot.

To be fair, Ings is between a rock and a hard place. If he goes to the ball initially he could be leaving the left open for an attack. It was a clever set piece.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Watching the Man Utd's first goal several times ... contributing to the goal, apart from Martinez's bobble was (for me) Mac Phee's set up for defending this set piece. 

Problem 1, a one man wall, when there are two people standing over the ball.
Problem 2, Ings (I think) gets sucked in when the free kick is taken by the taker breaking left, Ings takes an initial step to his right.
Problem 3, By the time Ings realizes the problem he is late too late to intercept the shot.

To be fair, Ings is between a rock and a hard place. If he goes to the ball initially he could be leaving the left open for an attack. It was a clever set piece.

I’ve just watched the game back and I think Cavani’s role was much more important than I realised in the ground. Gets in Emi’s line of vision so he sees the ball quite late. 

Shame VAR didn’t spend 5 mins looking for an infringement :trollface:

19 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Cavani looked on side for me, but it was nice to have a VAR free game I thought.

Oh yes 100% onside, I was being facetious. Think he put Martinez off by standing there so it was good attacking play.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was also nice to see some of the former 82 side before kick off with the new plaques up on the trinity. Total legends the whole lot of them.

Not wanting to move off topic but I was there as well but decided to move away in the middle of the event as there was a large group of man yoo "fans" chanting and walking up towards the event about to be met by about 4 police. Hopefully it all passed off ok, but didnt want to risk daughter and myself in the middle of a "situation". She was unaware of the fact it could have kicked off but at 63 yo I have seen enough of footy violence over the years to recognise the signs of it all potentially turning nasty...

Bloody shame to be honest that I missed some of the event as I saw all of them play in the 70's and 80's....but who the f**k allowed a raucous group of away fans to march up that road to almost gatecrash the event????

Surprised there has been no mention of this anywhere...

VTID

Derek

21 hours ago, TRO said:

I too would go with Watkins....but he has to improve his timing.

He tends to start runs at times, fractionally before he receives the ball and subsequently loses it, looks tentative at times....needs to read the game better.

Danny looks lost to me...not effective.

Ings is a fine finisher but is not mobile enough for Stevie G Ball imho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chappy said:

Oh yes 100% onside, I was being facetious. Think he put Martinez off by standing there so it was good attacking play.

Spot on. Martinez immediately complained that he was in his line of sight and it should be ruled out. Only problem was, he was onside. 

12 hours ago, El Segundo said:

If we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot by gifting goals to the opposition and giving the ball away too often we can be a very good side.   

So many misplaced passes especially first 25 minutes when we were awful.  Some of that was due to trying to play higher risk key passes to set up attacks especially Buendia,  but some of it was just plain sloppiness.  

Much better second half and probably deserved to win it overall.

Steven Gerrard said we was passive and we was first half......We stand off opponents at times and allows them the initiative in the game, thats what we did in the first half.

We have to learn to start aggressively....i.e Martinez was at fault for the first goal, but who closed down Fernandes?....and we do that too often.

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Not wanting to move off topic but I was there as well but decided to move away in the middle of the event as there was a large group of man yoo "fans" chanting and walking up towards the event about to be met by about 4 police. Hopefully it all passed off ok, but didnt want to risk daughter and myself in the middle of a "situation". She was unaware of the fact it could have kicked off but at 63 yo I have seen enough of footy violence over the years to recognise the signs of it all potentially turning nasty...

Bloody shame to be honest that I missed some of the event as I saw all of them play in the 70's and 80's....but who the f**k allowed a raucous group of away fans to march up that road to almost gatecrash the event????

VTID

Derek

We were standing watching the event on the grass bank and also saw/heard the large group of Man Ure fans walking into the Holte entrance. To be fair, the police did their job and moved them back pretty quickly although, as you say, how were they allowed to get that far up the road so easily? 

On 16/01/2022 at 01:51, Stevo985 said:

Also I don't think Gerrard can take any blame for the early goal we conceded today.

You can't account for your (usually reliable) goalkeeper dropping an absolute clanger

clanger or not we weren't sharp enough to close down the shot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, delboy54 said:

VTID

Derek

I didn't see that but it was held basically opposite the road so was open to the passing crowd. I thought maybe they would have put it somewhere else in the ground. I think they are planning to do several events as they couldn't do anything last year for the 40th anniversary of the league title.

Â