Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not a chance

That's a really simple header 

It's not really simple. Olsen is charging at him. If he were stationary at the edge of his box, sure...but it looks like they're on a collision course. If he makes the header, there's every chance it loops over Olsen and then it's a hairy situation. Carlos properly assessed the situation and his panic was warranted imo. His fault in this was that he made the wrong decision. Should have kicked it into touch.

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think Olsen's biggest flaw isn't any one attribute that he possesses (or doesn't), it's the lack of confidence and panic he inspires in his backline. That has a huge domino effect on the team's performance usually. We don't concede 2 goals per game when he's there because he's bad with his feet or doesn't claim crosses, it's largely because the defence is in relative disarray when he plays. Hell, I have my heart in my mouth whenever the ball is near him and I'm not even playing!

It’s not Olsen that puts that in the back line. It’s the fans. As soon as it went 2-1 last night it was so nervy and no question all of the team felt that. Olsen got us the point in the end with that save from Palmer 

39 minutes ago, grobs said:

It’s not Olsen that puts that in the back line. It’s the fans. As soon as it went 2-1 last night it was so nervy and no question all of the team felt that. Olsen got us the point in the end with that save from Palmer 

Ah yeah he made the save, but he did also cause that situation to allow Palmer to be in that position. 

• Like 1

If he doesn't chuck one in he played well, that's the standards he sets and what he gets away with now.

Every little decision he makes has a negative on the team, the passes he chooses, the weight of them, the timing of his release, the decisions to come for balls, his starting positions, everytime he's in nets the whole thing falls apart.

Completely changed how we play. 

We had to go long from all our goal kicks because he lacks confidence with his feet. 

Combine that with Ollie not being able to hold up a thing all night and it meant we could never get out of our half. 

Put Martinez in goal with his calm play form the back and that second half performance is much different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think Olsen's biggest flaw isn't any one attribute that he possesses (or doesn't), it's the lack of confidence and panic he inspires in his backline. That has a huge domino effect on the team's performance usually. We don't concede 2 goals per game when he's there because he's bad with his feet or doesn't claim crosses, it's largely because the defence is in relative disarray when he plays. Hell, I have my heart in my mouth whenever the ball is near him and I'm not even playing!

I don't think Diego would have done the things he did if Emi is playing.

Emi is bringing a calmness to the entire backline just by his presence alone.

One man doesn't make a team, if Emi is out then others have to stand up and be counted. I thought Olsen did well and shouldn't carry the can. Obviously he's going to be under immense pressure when the ball just keeps coming back, what were the other 10 players doing. If you've no confidence in him, do what you can to keep the ball away from him. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

One man doesn't make a team, if Emi is out then others have to stand up and be counted. I thought Olsen did well and shouldn't carry the can. Obviously he's going to be under immense pressure when the ball just keeps coming back, what were the other 10 players doing. If you've no confidence in him, do what you can to keep the ball away from him. 

I agree, the pressure on him when he does come into the team must be ten times that of when the other squad players are bought on, I don't think he did bad yesterday but unfortunately when you are standing in for the worlds no.1 every little thing you, or those around you do, is going to be scrutinized.

• Like 4

I think you can say Olsen did ok and not blame him for the result but still think we had a much better chance of holding on if Emi stayed on the pitch.  It’s not shitting on Olsen. It’s just acknowledging that Emi is the best in the world and has saved us many times when the team isn’t playing well.

No number 2 will come in and fill the void left when Emi is out so the team needs to learn to deal with it a lot better. 

• Like 1

Olsen did OK, made some saves and claimed some high balls into the box. His kicking is OK,  quite accurate tbh. What he needs to get experience in is the short balls around the box, Martinez is great at it,  now he's gained experience.  Olsen needs game time to learn that and to have the confidence to do it. No one is going to be as good as Martinez. 

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Completely changed how we play. 

We had to go long from all our goal kicks because he lacks confidence with his feet. 

Combine that with Ollie not being able to hold up a thing all night and it meant we could never get out of our half. 

Put Martinez in goal with his calm play form the back and that second half performance is much different.

Even though we did absolutely none of that in the first half?

Olsen did well. First goal was fully on Luiz (who was useless), the second goal was a brilliant finish but complete lack of pressure on Gallagher. He saved an absolute certain goal from Palmer and did well on crosses. 

I don’t know what else people expect from a number 2. Without him we would have lost. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Even though we did absolutely none of that in the first half?

The first half wasn't good, but we didn't turn the ball over as quickly as we did in the second half. 

It was relentless and eventually we cracked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Are we really blaming Olsen for a poor second half performance by the team?! VT really does love a scapegoat!

I thought he did ok and won us a point with the save he made from Palmer.

I don't think there's any blame going around. 

From my point of view I just observed that we played differently from the back with Olsen than we did with Martinez and the team didn't adjust well to that as a group. 

Â