Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Are we really blaming Olsen for a poor second half performance by the team?! VT really does love a scapegoat!

I thought he did ok and won us a point with the save he made from Palmer.

It absolutely isn’t Olsen’s fault that we played badly. I don’t agree with anyone saying that. 

Olsen did fine overall. But he contributed to a situation that nearly lost us the game. He gets some credit for the save he made from that situation, but he’s the reason we were in that situation. If emi was playing then he wouldn’t even need to make that save as the situation would have been dealt with easily

• Like 4

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Had a lot more to do with Carlos losing his mind for a moment.

They’re both at fault. If Olsen stays in his area rather than charging out then Carlos doesn’t get a chance to lose his mind because he has an easy header back to Olsen. 

As it was, Olsen forced Carlos into changing his mind and then Carlos **** it up. 

If a Bette keeper is on the pitch then that situation never happens. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Emi is saving both them strikes. But then that’s why he’s the best in the world. 

Fair play to Olsen for saving the one on one.

I really don’t think he is. And let’s be honest the first of not scored is a penalty 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They’re both at fault. If Olsen stays in his area rather than charging out then Carlos doesn’t get a chance to lose his mind because he has an easy header back to Olsen. 

As it was, Olsen forced Carlos into changing his mind and then Carlos **** it up. 

If a Bette keeper is on the pitch then that situation never happens. 

To be honest, Martinez probably comes for it and is so vocal that the back line leaves it alone and he clears.  Olsen doesn't have that confidence - he even pauses his run here as he sees Carlos is closer, which in turn then makes Carlos wonder what he should do (he's probably going to head that back then sees Olsen quite far out and panics).

It looked like a back line that hasn't played together often but, bar that incident, I don't think they did anything particularly "wrong".

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

To be honest, Martinez probably comes for it and is so vocal that the back line leaves it alone and he clears.  Olsen doesn't have that confidence - he even pauses his run here as he sees Carlos is closer, which in turn then makes Carlos wonder what he should do (he's probably going to head that back then sees Olsen quite far out and panics).

It looked like a back line that hasn't played together often but, bar that incident, I don't think they did anything particularly "wrong".

I think Emi stays in his box and gets the easy header from Carlos. He shares the confidence in the defence that they have in him. 

But I agree with you overall point. Either way that ball gets dealt with as a routine thing. It wouldn’t develop into a chance for Chelsea

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Emi stays in his box and gets the easy header from Carlos. He shares the confidence in the defence that they have in him. 

But I agree with you overall point. Either way that ball gets dealt with as a routine thing. It wouldn’t develop into a chance for Chelsea

Most likely.

In any case, we don't see Olsen after this season.  Hopefully he helps us win the UECL and gets a nice little send off.

• Like 1

I don’t think he did anything wrong last night. At the end of the day, he’s our back up goalkeeper, I’m not sure we are going to get anyone better than him to sit on the bench and play 5-6 games a season?!

He’s actually improved a lot with his distribution, which is quite impressive for someone at the stage of his career to add a “new” skill like that.

No way should Carlos attempt to clear the ball the way he does at the end, regardless of Olsen’s position.

If Emi makes that save from Palmer at the end, people would be quoting it as another example of how good Emi is at 1v1s and saving with his feet. Give Olsen a bit of credit for the save at least! If we finish one point above Spurs at the season end, Olsen has played a huge part!

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Had a lot more to do with Carlos losing his mind for a moment.

He lost his mind because Olsen was charging out of his box, but was nowhere near the ball. He had to clear it, he just executed it wrong. That wouldn't have happened with Emi. Either he'd have already headed the ball away himself, but more likely in that scenario since the ball was so far away, he'd have stayed in his box and waited for the header back/back pass.

• Like 1

He didn't quite look like the world's number two last night, but that second half run-out should help him to be ready to step up on Thursday night. 🤞

43 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is important to remember Olsen is lacking match practice too.

He always will. He's been lacking match practice since late 2019. That's the role he is employed for and content with.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is important to remember Olsen is lacking match practice too.

This, especially with our systems dependency on the keeper holding possession, takes balls of steel and months of in game experience. 

Edited by tinker

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He lost his mind because Olsen was charging out of his box, but was nowhere near the ball. He had to clear it, he just executed it wrong. That wouldn't have happened with Emi. Either he'd have already headed the ball away himself, but more likely in that scenario since the ball was so far away, he'd have stayed in his box and waited for the header back/back pass.

This guy gets it

We not going to gave 2 Emi's so whoever is our number 2 ain't gonna be as good. 

Yes he can take some blame for the being out of position but tbh the ball over the top took all the players by surprise and we was caught flat footed and that resulted in a poor clearance that Chelsea picked up, why we didn't pick the ball or at least be there to make it difficult is another issue. Poor day at the office and we got a point without the world's number 1 keeper.

That first Chelsea goal was a prime example about what I've been pointing out. He can't save low shots. Not saying it's a shot he should absolutely have but he is so stiff and slow to get down on low shots, it happens almost every time. Seen enough with Sweden to know this isn't a rust thing. It's something that has come with age in the last 3-4 years.

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

What, that he averages conceding over 2 goals a game for us ? He's played 11 games and conceded 23

That he spreads panic at the back ? 

That we have twice as many long clearances ? 

Ok hit me with the plus points 😆😆😆

He has played 14 games for us and conceded 24

He is a poorer keeper but he has also played against better teams than the average

He has played City twice, Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, United in his limited games

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I really don’t think he is. And let’s be honest the first of not scored is a penalty 

Emi is 100% saving the second one. Any top keeper is.  Olsen’s positioning all wrong. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â