Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

ezgif-3-d89ed03981.gif

Does he rush out? Yes. Does Diego still has time to head that - but he makes a bad defensive judgement. You cannot make a move like that in the middle of your final third. For me, it's more on Diego than the keeper.

Olsen position isn't great but to me Carlos has there options 

Head it back 

Control on chest and hit the ball away either up field or even for a throw in.

What he does is what you would expect from  a youngster coming into the team.

He inspires no confidence. That much is clear from the others playing around him. 

Its a difficult position to be behind the worlds number 1 and not have any playing time on top of it. 

But we need someone with more potential (Gauci) than someone like Olsen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Me too....

.... but I can't explain what he was thinking with that "clearance".

Bring the ball under control, turn out towards the side line and, if needed, play it long down the line. This isn't hard stuff.

i agree the clearance was nuts, should have hoofed it left or right out of play, or anywhere safe.

But i totally see why he didnt head it to olsen in the moment.

• Like 2

Olsen is not as good a goalie as Emi ... not a surprise to anyone.

So it is not surprising that he does not perform as well as Emi.

Robin is not a "shit" goalie.

Today's draw is not Robin's fault unless we include the saves he made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did OK under difficult circumstances. Truth is he's nowhere near good enough with the ball at his feet as Emi.

When called upon he was OK. Nothing he could do about the 2 goals as they had all the time in the world to score.

Posted elsewhere - Emi is critical to the way we play, he's there to pick the ball up, he's there to organise the defence, he's a ball player.

Olsen isn't a bad keeper, but he isn't everything else that Emi is.

8 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Olsen is not as good a goalie as Emi ... not a surprise to anyone.

So it is not surprising that he does not perform as well as Emi.

Robin is not a "shit" goalie.

Today's draw is not Robin's fault unless we include the saves he made.

He concedes over 2 goals per game for us.

That's not ideal.

He is an old fashioned keeper trying to play how we play but hasn't got the skill or confidence to do it. That unfortunately,  spreads to the entire team. It limits our play and is counter productive to how we normally play.

We need a plan b for when he has to play, as in we change how we play and set up.

Olsen in goal means duran and watkins need to play as the amount of long balls doubles, and they are mainly not targeted long balls, they are clearances. So with just watkins, it gives possession straight back.

We go from having an extra outfield player at the back, which martinez becomes at times, to not having one and being put under far more pressure which leads to more mistakes.

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He concedes over 2 goals per game for us.

That's not ideal.

He is an old fashioned keeper trying to play how we play but hasn't got the skill or confidence to do it. That unfortunately,  spreads to the entire team. It limits our play and is counter productive to how we normally play.

We need a plan b for when he has to play, as in we change how we play and set up.

Olsen in goal means duran and watkins need to play as the amount of long balls doubles, and they are mainly not targeted long balls, they are clearances. So with just watkins, it gives possession straight back.

We go from having an extra outfield player at the back, which martinez becomes at times, to not having one and being put under far more pressure which leads to more mistakes.

nonsense

Our defence was dogturd for the whole game today......poor passing out, lightweight challenges and leaving men unmarked at every setpiece....

So lets blame Olsen.

I'm not his biggest fan but that result certainly wasn't down to him.

I'd argue Unai was more at fault for allowing the shit all round play to go on as long as he did without changing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

nonsense

What, that he averages conceding over 2 goals a game for us ? He's played 11 games and conceded 23

That he spreads panic at the back ? 

That we have twice as many long clearances ? 

Ok hit me with the plus points 😆😆😆

7 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

Our defence was dogturd for the whole game today......poor passing out, lightweight challenges and leaving men unmarked at every setpiece....

So lets blame Olsen.

I'm not his biggest fan but that result certainly wasn't down to him.

I'd argue Unai was more at fault for allowing the shit all round play to go on as long as he did without changing it.

No ones pinning the entire performance on olsen, people quite rightly are pointing out his failings tonight. People are also saying multiple players played badly, olsen being one of them. And being the keeper and being poor, often ( as is the case 95% of the time with olsen) goals are conceded. So while it's not ALL down to him, he is partly responsible.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Emi is saving both them strikes. But then that’s why he’s the best in the world. 

Fair play to Olsen for saving the one on one.

Really don't think he saves the Gallagher one at all. Was very well placed just like the goal in the cup.

Maybe Madueke which wasn't quite in the corner but Chelsea would've ben awarded a penalty from the move if it had been saved/blocked.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

That's not ideal.

Agree ... but he is not shit either. Is he a number 2 we want to keep? Perhaps not.

I was equally panicked by our defence.

What lost us the win was not being able to pass out without giving the ball away to Chelsea.

Which number two goalkeeper would you like to have? I was curious Gauci has not been on the bench for a while? To save Gallagher's goal he would have had to be out of position.

Emi ain't saving that Gallagher strike... Regardless of what people want to think.

He also made a reflex save to keep us from going 3 - 2 down.

He's not Emi Martinez but it definitely winds me up a bit how people just enjoy shitting on him if a result doesn't go our way.

Luiz gives the ball away by the box, and Gallagher gets all the time in the world to unleash a worldie, yet it's somehow his fault?

There may be a better argument about the " They have no confidence in him " or " the team just plays better with Emi in it " etc but I find the default settings quite disengenuous and unfair.

There MIGHT be an argument that he could have saved the first.goal, but he shouldn't have had to in the first place!

Also, we weren't great before Emi went off either.

I'd say Tielemans coming off affected us more than anything else.

I feel sorry for Olsen, almost always in between a rock and a hard place.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

He inspires no confidence. That much is clear from the others playing around him. 

Its a difficult position to be behind the worlds number 1 and not have any playing time on top of it. 

But we need someone with more potential (Gauci) than someone like Olsen. 

I'm sure we will see Gauci next season but would be too risky throwing him in at the business end of the season with no game time and familiarity with his teammates.

Edited by villan95

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not a chance

That's a really simple header 

How, the keeper is outside the box. Once the keeper leaves the box the header back is never on. To me it looks like Olsen is coming to give it a hoof but Carlos calls him off. Emi absolutely plays that much calmer and that calamity defending never develops. 

• Like 1

Â