Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Man Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm going to concentrate on the positives.

Firstly, we were the better side, we outworked them in the middle of the park and for the most part restricted them to half chances, I thought Buendia was good again and we got less out of the game than we deserved - it's also nice that it's being recognised across most media that we got less than we deserved.

I like our spirit, our organisation and the ability we have to nick a ball and go forward with it.

For me, our two main weaknesses were a lack of clever support to Buendia, someone who can hold the ball up and make things happen with it, and that when Targett gets forward, he lacks that little bit of killer instinct and the athletic ability to impress. It might be the case that Cash suffers from a similar lack of final ball, but his athleticism stretches teams and makes life difficult for them.

By all accounts we're about to sign someone who is brilliant in support areas, can look after the ball and make things happen with it and a left back whose strength is their ability to get forward and play the final ball. 

We were the better team and we're about to address two of our weaknesses.

We're on the up, we're ambitious, our owners are ambitious, our manager is ambitious, we have the core of a good squad and we're adding strength in the right areas - there's lots to look at from this performance and be very positive about.

And yeah, I hate losing to this crap, I hate that Shaw and Fernandes are almost unbookable and I hate VAR - but those things are not going to stop us for long.

Let's have a go at putting this right on Saturday.

I thought despite us being very unlucky, in lots of ways....it also shows, (as you allude to), why we are signing quality players.

He knows, and he will fix it.

Shaw is so cynical, don't know how he stays on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andym said:

He was there so Cavani has to run around him, which gives that split second for Konsa to get free. You see that sort of thing at pretty much every set piece.

Ramsey hardly moved from his lane; however Cavani being a savvy veteren realised he wasn't catching Konsa anyway so just ran straight into Ramsey and fell over. 

He gave the ref a potential reason to disallow the goal, and it worked for them. Our players could learn a thing or two from that.

Tbh though, if it was the other way around, i'd probably be screaming for a foul.

but we wouldn't get it, that is the issue.

Just now, andym said:

He was there so Cavani has to run around him, which gives that split second for Konsa to get free. You see that sort of thing at pretty much every set piece.

Ramsey hardly moved from his lane; however Cavani being a savvy veteren realised he wasn't catching Konsa anyway so just ran straight into Ramsey and fell over. 

He gave the ref a potential reason to disallow the goal, and it worked for them. Our players could learn a thing or two from that.

Tbh though, if it was the other way around, i'd probably be screaming for a foul.

You see it from the defenders.

What we did here was deliberately place an attacker in an offside position, purely to block a defenders run.

You don’t see that happen ever.

Normally the attackers try to stay onside and the defenders ‘push them up’ using the defensive line. 

An attacker who is offside has to get out of the way as they are not supposed to be there and are not allowed to impact other players. 

We set up the attack with two of them doing it and they were so far offside that it makes me think it was a deliberate strategy from the set piece coach rather than Ramsey having a brain fart and forgetting he should be onside. 

I got my disappointment out of the way regarding this game straight after the draw was made, I couldn't believe it had happened again, as was hoping for an easier game to allow us play some of the youngsters but drew Man Utd again of all teams, was made worse by the fact that I found out whilst watching the U23s on VillaTV and Jack Woodward was reacting like it was the most wonderful news ever.

Basically as soon as the draw was made it felt almost inevitable that we were going to lose, so when we did lose it didn't come as any great surprise, another thing that played into my conviction that we would most probably lose is that we'd already beaten them at Old Trafford once this season, seemed very unlikely to happen twice given our history there.

Only plus is that at least we played well and as such that should at least give us some hope going into the home fixture at the weekend, I'm not super confident, but not without hope either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, andym said:

On Saturday, I want to see Villa have a corner and see one of our lads run directly into a Manure player. Then, let's see if your screaming for a foul gains any rewards - I doubt it! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Of course I do but I wouldn’t expect it to be, it’s one of those that you get 1 in 10 if you’re the defending team and you put your hand up to claim but never expect to get.  I do think Man U wouldn’t have got it wiped off as a goal if it had been at the other end.  It’s like the Ramsey goal/no goal against Leicester where Kasper claimed he had the hand on the ball and control.  9 times out of 10 that’s a goal but Kasper and co claimed a foul and they got it.  It’s a grey area on interpretation of rules and we seem to fall foul on it quite a lot.

Only thing that makes it grey is the incompetence of those responsible for enforcing the rules.

Just now, Villarocker said:

On Saturday, I want to see Villa have a corner and see one of our lads run directly into a Manure player. Then, let's see if your screaming for a foul gains any rewards - I doubt it! 

You can’t be offside from a corner. You seem to be missing what happened. The foul was for offside. 

12 minutes ago, andym said:

And that's my point, you can't be outraged it was disallowed whilst also being outraged if it wasn't disallowed if the teams were reversed.  That's called hypocrisy.

I agree with the decision, not to create uproar, but because I feel it should be disallowed regardless of which teams are playing.  I'm not saying it would be, but my expectation would be that rules are enforced.

So, I'm not upset the goals was disallowed, because it should have been.

Plenty of clearer decisions went against us.  But the things that really lost us the game are 2 CBs failing to win a very simple ball into the box, and some extremely poor finishing.

We lost because we were poor at both ends when it came to the important moments.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

So someone takes some one out off the ball and that's not a foul? C'mon mate, you can't be serious?

But he wasn’t taken out was he. He realised he wasn’t going to get anywhere near the ball so ran into an opponent in the hope of buying a free kick. And who can blame him, he’s been proven right. 

• Like 2

OK, moving beyond the VAR controversy...who do you think was at fault for their goal?

I think it was Konsa's fault, or perhaps midfield's collectively. A few seconds before the goal, Konsa and Mings both had someone marked. Konsa passed off his mark to Cash. When McTominay made his run from deep, the midfielders let him through thinking that someone in back would pick him up. Konsa had nobody to mark at that point and should have picked him up. A rare mental error from Konsa, who doesn't quite have Mings' presence and skills, but makes fewer mental mistakes.

That must have been a deliberate tactic. Both forwards drifted back to pull the centre backs forward when McTominay began his run.

We played well and should have gotten something but that’s 3 losses in a row now and quite likely to see the same outcome again come 7:30 Saturday making it 4 losses in a row, we’re still a long way from the top 6-8.

Â