Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Man Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 23:59

15 minutes ago, TomC said:

OK, moving beyond the VAR controversy...who do you think was at fault for their goal?

I think it was Konsa's fault, or perhaps midfield's collectively. A few seconds before the goal, Konsa and Mings both had someone marked. Konsa passed off his mark to Cash. When McTominay made his run from deep, the midfielders let him through thinking that someone in back would pick him up. Konsa had nobody to mark at that point and should have picked him up. A rare mental error from Konsa, who doesn't quite have Mings' presence and skills, but makes fewer mental mistakes.

That must have been a deliberate tactic. Both forwards drifted back to pull the centre backs forward when McTominay began his run.

Ings could’ve done more to block the cross I thought at the time couldn’t really tell what was happening in the middle from my angle. Another thing though… how did McTominay win MOTM?! 

Edit: Think I was expressing myself rather badly after too many beers at this point. The rambling gist of my comment was that by focusing on the narrow head-on angle as they did, VAR were showing lots of movement before the free kick was taken – but Ramsey can surely position himself wherever he likes before play resumes. (The wide angle, not shown by VAR, proved his movement once the ball was kicked was entirely minimal while Cavani ran straight into him).

BFCA1425-3524-4BF5-9565-96889B2ECD8B

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 1

I see another repeat on the BBC last night. They ran an episode of the old horror classic, Robbery @ Old Trafford, episode six!.

In case you missed it, the plot is the age old tale of the good guys getting mugged by the bad guys with assistance of their incompetent henchman, The Man in Black. This year the role was beautifully played by Sir Laurence Olivier. A shoo-in for an oscar or at least a big payday.

As ever most of the show stealing roles are played by villains. Luke Shaw is excellent in managing to be invisible while be commits repeated crimes. I did not wait for the credits at the end to see who starred as The Fukwit Var Operator. 

The screenwriter departed from the usual script of The Man in Black giving dodgy penalties by finding new and nefarious ways of making sure the good guys efforts came to nought. A real macabre twist.

Can't say I enjoyed it and it really is time to move on from this outdated fayre. 64 years is long enough for something this tedious.

I have just been told there is a new genre coming.  On Saturday night the good guys turn bad and give the crooks a real hiding. Now I am looking forward to that! 

Onwards. UTV 

Edited by Lochheads twin
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m not sure how you can possibly say that. Watch the replay again. Cavani was clearly running ahead of/alongside Konsa when he came in contact with Ramsey. There’s also plenty of reason to suggest Cavani could not have avoided him. He wasn’t looking at Ramsey. Look at the replay and you’ll see he’s entirely focused on the ball and had no idea Ramsey was there.

So in the minutes before the free kick was taken - where it was obvious where Ramsay was standing and that it was in an offside position and that it was directly in front of Cavani - he had no idea he was there?

All the more reason to do it, then, no? Cavani with a school boy error of not looking at his surroundings and floundering after being caught out does NOT mean a foul.

32 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

So in the minutes before the free kick was taken - where it was obvious where Ramsay was standing and that it was in an offside position and that it was directly in front of Cavani - he had no idea he was there?

All the more reason to do it, then, no? Cavani with a school boy error of not looking at his surroundings and floundering after being caught out does NOT mean a foul.

I hate to break it to you but it was a foul. You can even see Ramsey shuffling over to stand in-front of him. He made no effort to get out of the way. The onus is not on Cavani, who is legally engaged in the play. It’s on Ramsey who can’t affect the play since he was offside. 

Fact is yet again we lost to that lot by the odd goal due to the intervention of the officials. It appears dubious & unclear at best & so, as has happened in the entire rest of the season, it should have stayed with the onfield refs decision.... But nope. 3 1/2 minutes to find a dubious offence which is still being debated even now which not only killed our momentum but also should clearly have stayed with the onfield decision as it was not a clear & obvious error.

Of course, as per normal there is not a cat in hells chance they disallow that goal if Utd had scored it. 

Corruption / clear bias continues to rule at FA towers. 

I have zero doubt it'll be the dodgy penno & more of the same at the weekend.

• Like 2

We missed countless opportunities to score or even make chances from some great positions. Time and time again we broke free and checked our runs because of a lack of options. We are to narrow and unless we can get some amazing full backs this system isn't going to work for us. Add to that we have £80m worth of wingers and it's all looking a bit messy.  

Commentator said Man U had failed to keep a clean sheet in 19 games and you can see why, they was very lucky tonight.

Not sure what happened for the goal but it was far to easy for Mc Tom, basically a free header in the 6 yard box dreadful defending all round.

The VAR decision was typical....... why was Ramsey standing offside anyway, it must have some use but I can't see what, can anyone try and explain? Hopefully that idea will now be canned  as it's very easy to exploit with VAR in its present state 

We can't keep losing games cheaply and we are doing just that. Make no mistake,  tonights Man  U team was woeful , god knows what's going on there but it ain't gonna end in cheers that's for sure. If they play like that against a clinical team they will get thrashed. 

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

2 goals disallowed and hit the bar.

How many chances do you want?

If we can't score from the chances we've created thus far, we're obviously going to need more chances, aren't we?

8 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Global TV Match Director: “What the actual hell? Rule that shitty goal out right now! There were like TWO guys standing a million miles offside.”

VAR truck: “Err… That’s called ‘first phase’, sir.”

Director: “First WHAT? Forget it. This Watson fella touches it just before the goal, right? So that’s STILL offside for the other guy.”

VAR: “We’ve zoomed in and done our best, sir… Watkins doesn’t make any contact with the ball.”

Director: “Okay, forget that too. But this Ingles guy, he just, like, punches the ball into the goal, right? What is this sport? Punchball?”

VAR: “We’ve been looking at that for over three minutes, sir… The ball hits his thigh.”

Director: “Jesus, somebody throw me a bone here, would ya? Does anyone have ANY idea how many viewing figures are depending on this for Round Two?”

VAR: “Round Four, sir…”

Director: “WHAT?”

VAR: “Never mind… just a minute… I can see Cavani sort of runs into Ramsey about 15 yards away from anything relevant. We could maybe…”

Director: “ DO IT!!! (Switches to line 2)… Pam, I don’t like this VAR guy. He just doesn’t seem to get it. See that I don’t have to work with him again.”

Pam: “Yes, sir.”

Bloody Pam. I knew it. It’s always Pam.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We need to stop this insecurity blaming refs and VAR. We played well, deserved better but if we stopped making stupid Sunday League defensive errors we wouldn't be having this discussion. Sort out our defence and we will improve 

Couldn't agree more. 

Sick and tired of these excuses everytime we lose. 

If we’re forensically reviewing the block on Cavani as he is being impeded by an offside player, why stop there? That assumes he is involved in blocking the final ball. Use VAR to calculate his average running speed, work out his distance from the ball, and work out if he would be in a position to touch the ball. Distance divided by time. Should only take another 5 minutes. 

Except don’t because its FOOTBALL, not the f**king Minority Report.

• Like 2

So if Ramsay had fallen to the ground like he was shot rather than cavani would they have viewed the incident differently? I don't think the referee saw it as a foul in real time and that is the key. If there was no var at this game - as was the case in fa cap games in non PREM grounds, then villa would have been awarded that goal.

Should bin off the whole var thing. Tonight is a worrying precedent in the sense that, with the amount of pushing, shirt pulling and general gamesmanship that happens in the box, most corner/ free kick goals could be disallowed if they took the time to analyse the footage.

Var destroys the potential for teams to use their cannyness, gamesmanship, game smarts, experience, dark arts to gain advantage at these times. And that's kinda sad. It sanitises the game so much that it will result in benefiting the best teams with the best pure athletes. I miss the advantage that inferior players got by using their street smarts

Ill be honest, Im not sure its that bad of a decision.

But its the amount of time it took and the fact that it was the 3rd thing they looked for. Its also one of the things defenders do every corner or free kick, if thats a foul against the attacking team it has to go against defending teams aswell.

Ultimately we were the better team and didnt really create a lot. We need to be better and hopefully we get revenge on Saturday. 

The VAR decision was a joke and not what VAR is there for. The initial check was for offside. Now I presume it was for Watkins as that was the focus on the replays, to see if he had touched the ball before Ings scored. At no point during the VAR process was the Ramsey thing shown until the ref went to the screen. Therefore they were using VAR to check for offside yet changed it to suit their agenda. 

Beyond VAR, the fact Luke Shaw stayed on the pitch for the whole game is unreal. He made several tackles worthy of a yellow, before he got one, and he knew what he was doing with the Konsa incident. On the replay, you can see he looks round for a split second, realises he's lost his man and that is when he puts his hand into his face. If one of our players did that to De Gea, then it would be a foul.

I saw enough last night to suggest we can do them on Saturday, especially if Coutinho can play a part, their ball retention is woeful. Play 5 or 10 yards further up on the front foot and we take 3 points. 

Of course, that would be in a normal, fair game, so I half expect them to get a penalty for nothing and we have 3 goals ruled out because VAR rewind and watch a passage of play from 1953 for 15 minutes to find a reason not to award a goal against their sweethearts. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2

Â