Yves Bissouma

Corleone

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Those graphics make it seem like Sanson is actually the answer to our problems 🤔

Am I reading it wrong?

I think you are correct. Puts McGinn in the shade even Luiz looks better. So how much do we think graphs/stats can be trusted on their own?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

I think you are correct. Puts McGinn in the shade even Luiz looks better. So how much do we think graphs/stats can be trusted on their own?

It’s just one side of a multidimensional Dodecahedron. Other sides include what continent he’s from, height, what number he wears compared to where he plays on the pitch, how rapey he is, does Delphinho think he’s “the one”, and what do Brighton fans think. 

it’s all very complicated and you just may have to accept that Bissouma is the fifth dimension being we are looking for….

maybe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Stats always have to be looked at in context. There are two problems with those stats on the previous page:

Sanson has played around 200 minutes of PL football this season. Simply a much to low sample size to conclude anything
Interceptions. and tackles will obviously be affected by your position. It does not make any sense to compare wide midfielders like McGinn with a CDM like Luiz. His position alone will give him a huge advantage.

Furthermore, I am not sure how valid those two metrics are solely to explain how good a DM is.

18 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Very little. You can find a stat for just about anything and swing it to look good. Heck - even Tonev would have topped the charts for attempted shots to minutes played.

Despite the multitude of stats available, they don't tell you how a player will adapt to a new system, new coach, new manager and new team mates, the pressure put upon them with the move and how that plays with their psyche or how often they will play due to injuries, suspensions or great form of other players.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And he will choose a top four/six team.

Rumours Man Poo want him.

I'd be surprised if he signs for Villa.

If we wait until the summer I can’t see it happening, but this window was / is a possibility.

We are still one top midfielder away from pushing for a Top 8 challenge I think.

But either way, we are a lot better now than we were at the start of the window.

• Like 1

Maybe it isnt the cost which is the problem. Maybe villa are probably waiting til the legal thing sorts itself out before committing to buying him in the summer.

So we may see no DM.coming in now, Dougie being sold, and consolidating for the rest of this season with Sanson or someone else filling in in that position

I can’t see us dropping 50mil+ in the January window. It’s such a risk and I think if we were close to a European spot maybe. But this looks like another mid table finish and SG would prefer to keep his funds for the summer! 

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Maybe it isnt the cost which is the problem. Maybe villa are probably waiting til the legal thing sorts itself out before committing to buying him in the summer.

So we may see no DM.coming in now, Dougie being sold, and consolidating for the rest of this season with Sanson or someone else filling in in that position

There's no way we'll sell Luiz before the deadline tomorrow without bringing anyone else in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I can’t see us dropping 50mil+ in the January window. It’s such a risk and I think if we were close to a European spot maybe. But this looks like another mid table finish and SG would prefer to keep his funds for the summer! 

I agree, think we'll go all in on a midfielder this summer. Possibly Bissouma but I think he'll go to a top four/six team.

44 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we wait until the summer I can’t see it happening, but this window was / is a possibility.

We are still one top midfielder away from pushing for a Top 8 challenge I think.

But either way, we are a lot better now than we were at the start of the window.

Agree on every point. To get Bissouma it’s this window or not at all, but they may not see the value for money at that price.

Interesting that West Ham’s £50m bid for Phillips got laughed out of the door by Leeds. To get the level of player we want will take fees that give us (fans) a nose bleed. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Think the central midfield is still where we fall short compared to other teams pushing for top 6.

The other teams have players in the middle of the park we are crying out for:

West Ham - Soucek and Rice

Spurs - Hojbjerg

Arsenal - Partey

Wolves - Neves

Leicester - Ndidi and Tielemans

Then teams like Brighton and Leeds have Bissouma and Phillips. 

Our midfield is ok, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey, but we don't have anyone to compare to those teams. Ramsey has the potential to dominate midfields in future years but is too inconsistent currently. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Think the central midfield is still where we fall short compared to other teams pushing for top 6.

Spurs - Hojbjerg

Arsenal - Partey

Wolves - Neves

Our midfield is ok, McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey, but we don't have anyone to compare to those teams. Ramsey has the potential to dominate midfields in future years but is too inconsistent currently. 

Literally almost all the midfielders you’ve named are being touted by the press for about 40-50m, that’s including the villa players. 

our midfielders are up to scratch. we just hyperfocus on our own, particularly in a negative way and the others in a positive ways. 

the grass is greener on the other side fallacy 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Spurs - Hojbjerg

Arsenal - Partey

Wolves - Neves

It's only Villa fans who don't seem to rate our midfield. Other fans fawn over some of ours. Its like people haven't noticed that we have CM's being linked for between £35-50m constantly. 

SJM, Dougie, Ramsey, Sanson are all on par with most of those you list in terms of quality. We struggle because the way we play requires someone to do the dirty work which is why Nakamba was so effective. 

Soucek has had a stinking season when compared to the heights of last year, he's been bang average.

The standouts are Rice and, Ndidi and Tielemans in my opinion. I wouldn't take Neves over any of our current CM's, Partey is hugely inconsistent but can be very very good on his day. 

Out of all of those, for the role we need, I'd certainly have Hojberg but to say that we are 'crying out' for quality in the middle of the park is wide of the mark I think. We need a very specific role filled and that's it. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

It's only Villa fans who don't seem to rate our midfield. Other fans fawn over some of ours. Its like people haven't noticed that we have CM's being linked for between £35-50m constantly. 

SJM, Dougie, Ramsey, Sanson are all on par with most of those you list in terms of quality. We struggle because the way we play requires someone to do the dirty work which is why Nakamba was so effective. 

Soucek has had a stinking season, he's been bang average.

The standouts are Rice and, Ndidi and Tielemans in my opinion. I wouldn't take Neves over any of our current CM's, Partey is hugely inconsistent but can be very very good on his day. 

Out of all of those, for the role we need, I'd certainly have Hojberg but to say that we are 'crying out' for quality in the middle of the park is wide of the mark I think. We need a very specific role filled and that's it. 

Yes I think that was my general point, we lack a ball winner in there (other than Nakamba) and if we were to get one of a very high quality then two of McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz or Sanson could concentrate on being box to box and be much more effective. It's the one player we are missing and that type of player is more specifically narrowed down to Partney, Rice, Phillips, Ndidi, Hojbjerg and IMO Bissouma (though I would argue that Tielemans and Neves in particular are probably better than any of our "8"s).

I think the CM area has been an issue for nearly 2 seasons now and if we do wait until the summer to buy one I hope the player we do finally sign is bloody good. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes I think that was my general point, we lack a ball winner in there (other than Nakamba) and if we were to get one of a very high quality then two of McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz or Sanson could concentrate on being box to box and be much more effective. It's the one player we are missing and that type of player is more specifically narrowed down to Partney, Rice, Phillips, Ndidi, Hojbjerg and IMO Bissouma (though I would argue that Tielemans and Neves in particular are probably better than any of our "8"s).

I think the CM area has been an issue for nearly 2 seasons now and if we do wait until the summer to buy one I hope the player we do finally sign is bloody good. 

FWIW, considering that we've been playing Douglas Luiz 'out of position' as a 6 for over 18 months now, Sanson would be absolutely ideal for the role until the end of the season.

His defensive stats are mind blowing, even before he joined us. 

Â