Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Coutinho is an extreme confidence player and has been extra shit recently when the whole team’s confidence has been zero. Could improve if the general mood in the camp picks up. He won’t be someone to build a team around, but can still add a little here and there.

I have no hard feelings about him, he cut his wages by 75% to go somewhere where he had a chance to rescue his place in the Brazil team (which I’m sure he’ll end up losing anyway). The problem was Gerrard and Purslow decided to sign him permanently.

4 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Coutinho is an extreme confidence player and has been extra shit recently when the whole team’s confidence has been zero. Could improve if the general mood in the camp picks up. He won’t be someone to build a team around, but can still add a little here and there.

I have no hard feelings about him, he cut his wages by 75% to go somewhere where he had a chance to rescue his place in the Brazil team (which I’m sure he’ll end up losing anyway). The problem was Gerrard and Purslow decided to sign him permanently.

Confidence isn't the issue, though.

The problem with Coutinho is that he's defensively lazy. He's a luxury player. We could probably accommodate him if we had an ultra high-intensity midfield like Liverpool's doing all the running for him, but we don't.

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Confidence isn't the issue, though.

The problem with Coutinho is that he's defensively lazy. He's a luxury player. We could probably accommodate him if we had an ultra high-intensity midfield like Liverpool's doing all the running for him, but we don't.

Yep he's a million miles from Grealish and he'll never be the type of player to drag a team out of a hole. He needs a set system and complimentary players around him to work what magic he has left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, birdman said:

Yep he's a million miles from Grealish and he'll never be the type of player to drag a team out of a hole. He needs a set system and complimentary players around him to work what magic he has left.

Nobody said he was better than Grealish except people that thought Grealish was overrated

8 minutes ago, birdman said:

Agree, Grealish can be defensively naive and doesn’t sense danger naturally, but he has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. He also has that yard of pace, which isn’t electric, but is good enough to beat a full back on the outside.

The problem with Coutinho is he’s a throwback to the era of the central playmaker, more like a Riquelme type… supremely talented player, but needs all the hard work to be done around him.

These are the kinds of players who look incredible when you’re playing well, but go missing when the chips are down.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Agree, Grealish can be defensively naive and doesn’t sense danger naturally, but he has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. He also has that yard of pace, which isn’t electric, but is good enough to beat a full back on the outside.

The problem with Coutinho is he’s a throwback to the era of the central playmaker, more like a Riquelme type… supremely talented player, but needs all the hard work to be done around him.

These are the kinds of players who look incredible when you’re playing well, but go missing when the chips are down.

Coutinho is not and never has been a playmaker. Where is this myth coming from?

Riquelme would run a game from 10 and create chances for fun. Coutinho has and never will do that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Riquelme would run a game from 10 and create chances for fun. Coutinho has and never will do that.

What do you think he is? Feel like you’re splitting hairs here.

Had echoes of the James Rodriguez to Everton transfer at the time and unfortunately that’s how it’s panned out. A lot of excitement, flashes of brilliance but fizzled out pretty quickly leaving the club with a big wage packet to cover. 

I still think there’s a player in there given a tweak in systems but he needs to contribute more, work harder and be more aggressive on the ball and without it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Liverpool and the media love in. Even on his best day he was worth 60 million less than Barcelona paid for him

6 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Had echoes of the James Rodriguez to Everton transfer at the time and unfortunately that’s how it’s panned out. A lot of excitement, flashes of brilliance but fizzled out pretty quickly leaving the club with a big wage packet to cover. 

I still think there’s a player in there given a tweak in systems but he needs to contribute more, work harder and be more aggressive on the ball and without it

except Everton had an actual manager and Rodriguez was happy to move on to the Middle East

Rodriguez actually had a better goal and assist stats than Coutinho in fewer games

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nobody said he was better than Grealish except people that thought Grealish was overrated

When he signed many people said he was miles better than Grealish....probably out of bitterness and not thinking straight tbf but this was said regardless....alot. At the time I replied to a few saying stop making silly comparisons as totally different players.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

To be fair if you asked 100 neutral fans now, today, which of them was better at their peak I’d say 70-80% would say Coutinho. 

• Like 1

Phil is just as much of a victim of Gerrard’s disastrous management - he was played despite a lack of form and confidence, hung out to dry by him in the press when he blamed the players constantly. He’s in clear need of confidence. I can see why he didn’t say anything when Gerrard left. 

He deserves a second chance to assert himself - for now, I’m happy with him as an impact sub. He will show his qualities again. 

• Like 2

Â