Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If I remember correctly he was starting to look good and had scored a nice goal against Arsenal just before he got injured then never featured again. He was unlucky with his injury.

Yep. The concern (and indeed expectation for some) is that the same thing will happen again, rinse and repeat. 

He really needs to stay fit for a sustained period now. Even that won't convince some, who would just use that run to get money for him in January. 

He’s going to be a useful player at times this season. He won’t play every week of course but when we’re playing twice a week for months on end, he’s a very handy player to bring on against tired legs. Trust Unai to get the maximum performance from him. 

6 hours ago, Viloon said:

Me and my two sons were right in front of the pitch where Phil was 2nd half and were awed when he came on, even the Valencia supporters around us were saying how good he was.

For those saying he has no legs, what impressed us the most was his turn of pace, he's a lot quicker than he seems and was chasing all over the pitch. His technical skills are out of this world.

After full time, he and the other subs were doing shuttle sprints and it's clear Unai is getting everyone fit, with the ECL we have a challenging season and I for one will be gutted if Phil isn't here.

After an injury hindered last season, I can't understand how after what UE did with all our other players, why more people aren't excited to see what he can do with Coutinho, he still has it, he just needs a home and support imo.

At times he made the opposition players seem like kids trying to get the ball off him. Can't wait to see the impact he has for us this season.

Is this copy and pasted from the RAWK forum in 2016?

52 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Is this copy and pasted from the RAWK forum in 2016?

Must be because there are folks on VT who say he can’t move anymore. Much like they did when Young re-signed.

14 hours ago, jim said:

Must be because there are folks on VT who say he can’t move anymore. Much like they did when Young re-signed.

His probs aren't physical for me (barring injury), I don't think he overly lacks pace or acceleration. He is probably the most naturally gifted footballer I've ever seen play for us but the doubt is whether he's really that arsed to try and be the best he possibly can be every game. I mean he will have been the best player ont he pitch on many occasions never getting out of second gear, if Emery can somehow sort that out he's a great player and would be very important for us.

• Like 1

I think if he comes on in the second striker role he's most effective. I think he doesn't have the physicality, work rate and defensive positional understanding to play Left Mid - Buendia/Ramsey seem the natural players for that position. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

He’s going to be a useful player at times this season. He won’t play every week of course but when we’re playing twice a week for months on end, he’s a very handy player to bring on against tired legs. Trust Unai to get the maximum performance from him. 

I wasn't  convinced when we signed him - felt like a signing for the name rather  than how he would fit into the team - but he looks fit and committed in preseason. Oddly,  now we have better options elsewhere, I can see a clearer role and he should be pretty useful

• Like 2

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

His probs aren't physical for me (barring injury), I don't think he overly lacks pace or acceleration. He is probably the most naturally gifted footballer I've ever seen play for us but the doubt is whether he's really that arsed to try and be the best he possibly can be every game. I mean he will have been the best player ont he pitch on many occasions never getting out of second gear, if Emery can somehow sort that out he's a great player and would be very important for us.

I don't think Emery would have given him any time in the pre-season if he didn't think he was committed. TBH I haven't seen Coutinho play as you've described i.e. not arsed. I don't think that is his character. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think Emery would have given him any time in the pre-season if he didn't think he was committed. TBH I haven't seen Coutinho play as you've described i.e. not arsed. I don't think that is his character. 

There are people that literally make stuff up regarding Coutinho, that he's not arsed, here for a pay day etc.  I'm sure they'll not complain if he scores a late winner in the ECL final.

• Like 3

The biggest problem is his injury proneness, he wasn’t available when we needed him for the run in for example. It’s not worth having players on big wages who are not starters and are rarely fit and rarely on form…

For all the talent he has, if he isn’t going to be consistently available and making some sort of impact… it’s a waste of funds and a waste of a squad space that could potentially go to a younger and more effective player… a new signing or replacement perhaps?

Unai is best placed to judge, but one positive performance or cameo in 10 games… is not worth it to us…

A player can have 10 bad games and put in an impressive cameo and our hopes are reignited…

A player can put in 10 positive performances, have one bad game and is written off…

We are usually quite fickle, not really worth denying it…

Â