Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Just now, Keyblade said:

Not in the Brazil squad for the WC. He had no shot before he joined us so nothing really lost there, but I wonder if he resents Gerrard for this. Completely tanked his form.

He’s injured for 10 weeks so irrelevant either way. 

Personally I’d be pretty disappointed with how poor Gerrard was though. I’d also be really bummed that emery has come in and got everyone excited and playing positive football with proper tactics right as I’d gotten injured. 

Still think he has something to offer us. 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Personally I’d be pretty disappointed with how poor Gerrard was though. I’d also be really bummed that emery has come in and got everyone excited and playing positive football with proper tactics right as I’d gotten injured. 

Holy shit 10 weeks? Damn, hope he comes back stronger. We'll need him. The fixtures after the WC will be crazy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Wait where do you see 10 weeks?

If I may be so bold, that's still soon enough for him to pass a medical elsewhere in January. For me he's on the bus with McGinn, both are better than good squad players, but neither appeals in the long term. I don't doubt Phil's ability to win a game, but it's so rare, I can't be arsed.

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Holy shit 10 weeks? Damn, hope he comes back stronger. We'll need him. The fixtures after the WC will be crazy.

Exactly. Let's see how he does when he comes back - free from the burden of being Stevie's pet . Apparently the Brazil coach said he would have been in squad but for injury so i feel a bit sorry for him. Let's see what Unai can do with him before writing him off and constantly slagging him off. He wasn't to know how crap things would be under Gerrard after all. I think he likes it here with his Amigos. Let's hope he has a new spark for us when back. 

• Like 2

On 07/11/2022 at 11:26, birdman said:

He hasn't looked right for ages so I wonder if he's been carrying this injury for a while? Hopefully comes back better.

Perhaps this is why he was the one player who didn't look revitalised when he came on against Brentford.

Also, the fact that Emery came in and immediately left him out could mean he realised something was clearly wrong that Gerrard's team overlooked. Our medical team isn't known for making the best decisions just lately, let's put it that way.

I still have faith. Call it blind optimism, but until Emery has written him off I'm not going to either.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Nobody should be written off. Everyone gets a clean slate under Emery.

I don’t buy this bollocks that he’s done. He was phenomenal when he first joined. His link up play with Ramsey in those first few games.

He’s lost his way, as most players have under Gerrard. There is still a phenomenal player in there.

It would definitely be interesting to see him in a team that has an actual game plan, is organised and cohesive. I'll reserve judgement until then. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It would definitely be interesting to see him in a team that has an actual game plan, is organised and cohesive. I'll reserve judgement until then. 

Exactly, he’s here for the remainder of the season regardless.

He’s out for 10 weeks, and by the time he’s fit again the window will be shut.

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A fluid front 4 of Watkins, Bailey, Coutinho and Ramsey can give any defence in the league a headache. 

Buendia is miles better than Phil

• Like 1

I'd love to see what a Midfield of Luiz, Sanson, Kamara and Coutinho could do, protected by the physicality of our defenders/Kamara/Ollie. 

We'd never lose the ball I'm sure of it. 

We've certainly never fielded a team I can think of with that much technicality. 

Just once, pleaseeeeeee?  

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Considering he has trained hard, kept his head down and applied himself I’m surprised at the negativity he receives for poor form. There isn’t a single player who was performing under Gerrard. To suggest “his legs are gone” is insane as only a year ago he was absolutely tearing it up. Seems harsh to lambast the 5’8” attacking midfielder for failing to bring down hoofed balls from Mings, score diving headers from deep and poor Digne/Cash crosses, send through balls to the offside Watkins and chase after balls that whack McGinn on the arse whilst being surrounded by 3 defending players who have already been given the chance to regroup.

Just needs a chance and to build some confidence under a good manager in a good system. I reckon he can thrive under Emery. 

The space on the pitch was so condensed under Gerrard due to the narrow shape, he had practically no space.

Id' fully expect in a proper setup under UE with more width, he'll have more space to make use of his skill and vision.

I'm not giving up on him yet like so many others seem to.

• Like 1

Coutinho was great when he first arrived. However, along with pretty much everyone else, he started to struggle more with each passing game in this season. That form he showed when he arrived was not that long ago, but was probably early enough into his tenure that Gerrard's 'tactics' hadn't fully seeped into his play.

This season he's been anonymous but so has everyone else. For all we know, he's been struggling with this injury, but I guess Phil is judged differently because of what we've seen in his career to date, and the fact that he was often picked ahead on Emi2.

It would be madness not to wait and see what Unai can do with him. With a clearly defined purpose in a fully functioning team, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a major asset for us once more.

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes better through balls, aggressive and work rate, but Phil is better with the ball at his feet and is a better finisher, both have had off days let’s judge them both under the CLEAN SLATE Emery gave them.

I AM DONE WITH PHIL.

Luxury player. Doesn't work hard enough.

Even under Danks he was lazy.

There is no I in team.

Â