Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Should not start weekly for us

I know we don't want to be a one man team but when we have ridiculously good player you should set up to get the best out of them.

We aren't a top team that can find different ways to win we should play to our strengths, I don't think we do that at all.

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Buendia is world class when hes not playing.

For me its not either or, in some games you play both, but if you play 1, then it is Coutinho every time.

For the 1st time i can remember we have good subs/options, and we still find something to moan about.

Our strength in depth in that final third is crazy good. I don't think people are moaning about that. I think the concern is that with 1 week to go, I don't think we or Gerrard know what the best combination is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep 5 goals, 3 assists in 19 games is shite.

He got 5 of those contributions in 2 games. Done pretty much jack shit every other game.

So yes, it is. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He got 5 of those contributions in 2 games. Done pretty much jack shit every other game.

So yes, it is. 

Utter drivel, not for the first time.

• Like 2

Saidnit before. He is no good at running games is Phil. Buendia can run games and create loads of chances. Phil will come up with an influential game from time to time but in reality he is all about special moments. Not being in great form for 10 games in a row. 

This will be Gerrards biggest problem in his tenure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do you think he played well today? 

He was ok. It was a pre season friendly, all about getting minutes in the bank.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

He was ok. It was a pre season friendly, all about getting minutes in the bank.

Except his free kick and pass to Digne who was offside he did nothing

• Confused 1

As ever with Villa it’s about finding the right balance. 

Coutinho of now isn’t someone who is going to run away from players like he did in his prime. He’s very good on the ball and wants to link moves and find the runs. Trouble is the way we’ve played in pre season and later end of last year the three CMs are so deep when we attack his only options ahead of him are Watkins and Bailey who offer limited movement against a packed defence or the easy pass wide to the full backs. We need to get more runs ahead of the ball from CMs but they can’t do that because they are covering for the full backs. Hopefully we’ll find the right balance but not sure we’ve found it yet. We look to be weighting the side to be more solid but have lost an attacking edge. Created very few chances in pre season which given the players we have is a little worrying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

So yes, it is. 

That was complaint about him at Munich. 8 goals and 6 assists in 23 but 3 goals 2 assists came in 1 game vs Bremen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

For me its not either or, in some games you play both, but if you play 1, then it is Coutinho every time

I kind of agree based on the Coutinho name but Buendia has played better and contributed more. If I was him I’d be a bit pissed that lil Phil is always ahead of him. 

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thought Coutinho looked quite lively against Rennes. 

The conundrum for Gerrard is who plays out of Bailey and Buendia?

Personally I think Bailey should play as a False 9 with Coutinho and Buendia in support, but alas that will never happen.

I'd love to see them at least try it considering Waktins/Ings aren't blowing anyone's skirt up 

Â