Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Too deep not effective and when he does have the ball not doing enough with it.

Probably being asked by Gerrard to be on the ball more and be more responsible... so he's dropping deep. It's a player who doesn't know the role he's playing and a manager trying to get more out of a 'luxury' player without knowing how to do it...other than 'get involved'  - if anything judging by his career he should be less involved and high up the pitch floating with zero responsibility. 

He's not affecting the game, doesn't have a defined role and he's been poor and sloppy and lethargic for months and he shouldn't be starting.

Edit : but it's Coutinho. Phil Coutinho. We had McCormack 4 years ago so don't dare complain.

Edited by rodders0223

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Too deep not effective and when he does have the ball not doing enough with it.

Yep. He is forced to drop deep to even get the ball then isn't in an area where he can cause damage. It's so frustrating because we have this deadly weapon and we're not using it correctly. However now we have him signed, Gerrard can build the team around him and the first step to that is the summer signings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Fair enough, but there weren't exactly a lot of teams banging on Barcelona's door offering to buy and then pay him more than we were.

I know I was just being a pain. I agree with you 99.9% as per my other comments above.

Sorry mate! Just an easy laugh!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know I was just being a pain. I agree with you 99.9% as per my other comments above.

Sorry mate! Just an easy laugh!

@VillaHatesMeTo be fair. We've no idea how many other teams were interested in him. But he did take a massive pay cut to come to us.

Almost certainly the Gerrard factor, but also, almost certainly unique to Coutinho. There may be an element of him helping some players decide, but only the ones where the choice isn't blindingly obvious to them in the first place.

Edited by MrBlack
Quoted the wrong person but can't work out how to change it on phone...

Looks like he has totally zero confidence. Glad to see the good old 'Villa regression' effect on player is still alive and well... Bloody hell can you imagine if we'd signed Alli? He'd look like one of Father Jack's 5 a side team by now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I thought he looked quite good playing deeper and interchanging with Buendi. Could be an option against teams which sit in. 

Thought the same. I like him as an 8 with three attacking player in front. 

There seems to be this expectation that he will come on and win games on his own. He isn’t that Countinho anymore but he’s certainly quality and we absolutely made the right decision with him. Thought we improved with him on the pitch. I’m convinced he’s going to absolutely tear it up next season with a more balanced squad. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Looks like he has totally zero confidence. Glad to see the good old 'Villa regression' effect on player is still alive and well... Bloody hell can you imagine if we'd signed Alli? He'd look like one of Father Jack's 5 a side team by now

Eh? 

He needs to be playing higher up the pitch and making runs through the opposition. Sitting deep and spraying balls around , playing  neat little one twos, 30 yard out side the opposition's box is exactly what they want to see. He's causing them minimal problems. 

Imagine trying to stop him in the box , it would cause real issues for defenses and bring us free kicks,. penalties and goals. Beundia does exactly what I want to Coutinho doing, be a pain in and around the box.

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

He needs to be playing higher up the pitch and making runs through the opposition. Sitting deep and spraying balls around , playing  neat little one twos, 30 yard out side the opposition's box is exactly what they want to see. He's causing them minimal problems. 

Imagine trying to stop him in the box , it would cause real issues for defenses and bring us free kicks,. penalties and goals. Beundia does exactly what I want to Coutinho doing, be a pain in and around the box.

Exactly he needs to be at the sharp end causing teams problems, creating, breaking the lines.

If we fix the defensive midfield issue with a player who can break play up and distribute this should allow Coutinho to receive the ball in these areas.

Â