Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jordan Bowery was on the scoresheet the other day.

I haven't been able to find the spinning chair gif for years 

Just search "Jordan Bowery gif" on Google 😂

bowery_zpsb633ae25.gif
Edited by a-k
  • Thanks 1

If it's to be believed then getting the fee down to what we have is really good from the club. Clearly he's a huge name as well so could help with future transfers but not quite sure how much I believe all that. 

My 'meh' comment yesterday was probably a bit dumb in hindsight but I can't help but feel he's been a bit average so far, which a large part of that comment was based on. 

30 minutes ago, Farlz said:

If it's to be believed then getting the fee down to what we have is really good from the club. Clearly he's a huge name as well so could help with future transfers but not quite sure how much I believe all that. 

My 'meh' comment yesterday was probably a bit dumb in hindsight but I can't help but feel he's been a bit average so far, which a large part of that comment was based on. 

overall yes, fairly average. but the magic is still there

i still maintain, that southampton game was the most complete individual performance i've seen in a villa shirt

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Meh

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I assumed it was sarcasm.

He's been pretty good most games, I think if the likes of Buendia, Bailey and Traore had have put in the performances that he has done then dem would be getting a lot of praise, but Coutinho being judged to an higher standard, which is understandable to a degree because he has a bigger reputation in the game and more is expected from him, but at the same time I think he's been pretty decent with some moments of otherwordly brilliance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Currently in cape Verde and when the staff saw my villa shirt they immediately started asking about Coutinho and now they call me Coutinho in the bar (annoyingly). It just shows how much it raises the Villa brand though. 

Humble brag

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Jury out. We'll see.

It'll sell a few shirts at least.

I think people have either missed or quickly forgotten the last 10+ years,  when they are so dismissive of such a talented player. 

We may not get the 100% version of the past, but he’s capable of doing things on the pitch that even £100m players can’t. We’d be crazy to allow someone else to take him and probably regret it for the next 10 years.

I recall when Zola joined Chelsea and was previously offered around lots of clubs. Us and Leeds were mentioned, although probably Doug rumour in our case. Either way we all know how that worked out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

The big 3 or 4 have got at least 2 worldies in every position, so I'm all for this. Especially at this price. Yes the wages will probably be more than we are used to but that's the gamble. Massive summer coming 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think people have either missed or quickly forgotten the last 10+ years,  when they are so dismissive of such a talented player. 

We may not get the 100% version of the past, but he’s capable of doing things on the pitch that even £100m players can’t. We’d be crazy to allow someone else to take him and probably regret it for the next 10 years.

I recall when Zola joined Chelsea and was previously offered around lots of clubs. Us and Leeds were mentioned, although probably Doug rumour in our case. Either way we all know how that worked out. 

He's a very talented player.

But to your point about people forgetting the last 10+ years, I think people forget our club's history from before that if I'm honest.

We have a history of overpaying for players whose best years are behind them based on reputation or past form, and it's rarely worked out for us. For every Merson there was a Ginola and a Carbone and a Collymore, etc etc.

I'm not saying he won't be successful for us but I'm concerned that a) his form has dropped off a lot since his first few games, and b) his inclusion is almost always at the expense of Emi Buendia, who deserves to be playing.

• Like 1

If Coutinho had flicked that ball over Alexander-Arnold, played a 1-2 and then scored from 20 Yards, we'd all be talking about that goal for years.

There is next to Zero other players that have the ability to pull something like that off and who would sign for us.

It is mental to me we are debating it at a rumoured £15m. 

Yes, Buendia is better at the moment. But he'll have bad form too and maybe they can play together... technical, intelligent, creative, flair players who potentially will be representing Brazil and Argentina at a World Cup both at Villa, at the same time, linking up on each wing as we make a push for Europe?

And many of us aren't finding joy and excitement in that? Some people may need to consider other hobbies.

13 minutes ago, est1874 said:

a) his form has dropped off a lot since his first few games, and b) his inclusion is almost always at the expense of Emi Buendia, who deserves to be playing.

All true to some extent - however next season SG gets to play fantasy football and build a side into which Coutinho naturally fits, as well as Emi. We can't get there without signing Coutinho, he just happens to be the first big player through the door under SG's watch.

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

If Coutinho had flicked that ball over Alexander-Arnold, played a 1-2 and then scored from 20 Yards, we'd all be talking about that goal for years.

My question is, why didn't he switch it? Look at the right hand side. That is Tsimikas, the LB on the right hand side of the D.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

There is next to Zero other players that have the ability to pull something like that off and who would sign for us.

It is mental to me we are debating it at a rumoured £15m. 

Yes, Buendia is better at the moment. But he'll have bad form too and maybe they can play together... technical, intelligent, creative, flair players who potentially will be representing Brazil and Argentina at a World Cup both at Villa, at the same time, linking up on each wing as we make a push for Europe?

And many of us aren't finding joy and excitement in that? Some people may need to consider other hobbies.

Carragher on commentary said if coutinho was signed permanently, how would it work when we already have Buendia. This is the mindset and perception of a club we need to move away from if we are to improve in the league. Liverpool are quite happy to have 5 forwards rotating, like Salah not playing the other night. Grealish barely ever starts for man city but he seems happy.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:39, MaVilla said:

I understand some comments about whether we should or shouldn't sign him.

However, to attract a higher calibre of signings you usually need to get that first marquee signing through the door to attract others.

The same way when watkins joined, the first thing he asked apparently was "is Grealish staying?".

I'm  not hung up on whether that marquee signing is coutinho or another player, but the fact is we need to persuade that first top level player to join us, and persuading the first one is usually the hardest task.

Coutinho would definitely be the type of permanent signing that would signal to other players that we mean business, and may attract players who want to play with him.

said this a few weeks ago, and i still think its right.

Signing Coutinho is as much about the massive statement that the signing makes, as the current ability of the little magician.

Even is Coutinho is 70% the player he was 3-4 years ago, thats plenty good enough for us imo (right now), but the transfer statement itself is just as important, and if it is made permanent, its an absolutely huge statement of a signing.

• Like 2

Â