Premier League relegation battle

useless

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

pretty mental how we have scored a quarter of the 24 goals against leeds over last 7 games! 😅

Burnley will stay up, cornet and weghorst plus rodriguez are all capable of scoring enough goals in addition to their defenders from corners and aaron lennon/mcneil. They always manage to get a few draws and the odd win and will be fine. Everton have the quality and could throw el ghazi on to score goals, he helped keep us up and would probably do a better job than a lot of their players in this current situation. Watford Norwich and Leeds to relegate

We’ve played them twice in those 7 games. So we’ve played them over a quarter of the time. Good proof of how misleading stats can be though I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

We’ve played them twice in those 7 games. So we’ve played them over a quarter of the time. Good proof of how misleading stats can be though I guess.

thats true but too concede 6 across 180 mins is still poor whichever way you look at it

2 hours ago, useless said:

I'd rather Everton or Leeds to go down rather than Burnley, not because I particularly like Burnley or because I dislike Everton, but just because in a situation like this I think it's always more interesting to see the bigger club relegated just to see how they cope with it, would also make the championship more interesting, that division has probably lost a little spark since we, Newcastle, Leeds with Bielsa, and Wolves with their Mendes players, have all been promoted.

Completely agree.

I find the league much more interesting having new sides competing in it. It’s boring enough having the top 4 as a relatively closed shop, let’s not wish the same at the bottom and strive for “yo-yo clubs”.

Every year around this time we talk about how it looks like a record low points total will be enough to survive and yet every year the clubs down the bottom pull off enough upsets to get to the mid 30s. 

There’s still a few twists in this run in. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Every year around this time we talk about how it looks like a record low points total will be enough to survive and yet every year the clubs down the bottom pull off enough upsets to get to the mid 30s. 

While true last season 29 points would have kept you up

This season it should be higher as its a more competitive scrap

I'm torn. Watford and Norwich are basically already down and it'd be silly to pretend there's any realistic chance of them getting out of it. So with one space left it's between Burnley, Leeds, Everton and possibly Brentford.

I absolutely despise Burnley but on the other hand, I also hate Leeds, and it'd be nice in a spiteful kind of way to see Everton go down as they've never been relegated from the PL before.

Brentford haven't been brilliant for large parts of the season but those 2 important wins against arsenal on the opening day and the 3-2 v us has seen them safe imo. Everton I just think will have enough in the tank to pick up some results, would be interesting to see them down though after a solid previous decade and a bit. It would be entering the unknown and be interesting to see a similar size club to ourselves and newcastle, to see how they react in the championship and their fans react etc. as we well know it is a struggle to get out of the division

On 11/03/2022 at 12:28, PaulC said:

Norwich and Watford gone. Between Burnley, Everton, Leeds and Brentford for the other spot. Hodgson was a shocking choice for Watford. 

Appointing Ranieri mid season was the shocking choice by Watford. They learnt nothing from two seasons ago when they got Quique Sanchez Flores mid season who barely won a game for three months. Ranieri was also a disaster at Fulham in similar circumstances so that has pretty much relegated Watford.

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It'a always hard to tell who the on the beach teams will be in the run in until you get to April.

Remember our great escape? We played Palace at home who were in decent form IIRC and yet they barely lifted a leg after we went a goal up. Also beat Arsenal who had just played an FA cup semi final and those two wins kept us up. Those little things during the game like being a bit quicker to getting to 50/50 balls.

At the moment any team in serious relegation battle would be desperate to have likes of Palace, Brighton and possibly Leicester in fixture list as all those teams in no mans land currently in league table. Think Everton got Palace and Leicester at home late on in the season now so think they're going to have to win both if they want to comfortably stay up.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I'm torn. Watford and Norwich are basically already down and it'd be silly to pretend there's any realistic chance of them getting out of it. So with one space left it's between Burnley, Leeds, Everton and possibly Brentford.

I absolutely despise Burnley but on the other hand, I also hate Leeds, and it'd be nice in a spiteful kind of way to see Everton go down as they've never been relegated from the PL before.

Easiest thing is to just not care very much to be honest. As you say, they can't all go down. I'll start wanting one particular outcome when the choice is more defined nearer the end of the season.

Looks like Everton just praying Burnley going to lose every game this season is going to work. Last three games all Burnley needed to do was draw one to put Everton into bottom 3 and they're going to lose all three without even scoring.

Brentford all but safe now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Appointing Ranieri mid season was the shocking choice by Watford. They learnt nothing from two seasons ago when they got Quique Sanchez Flores mid season who barely won a game for three months. Ranieri was also a disaster at Fulham in similar circumstances so that has pretty much relegated Watford.

Well both really.