Premier League relegation battle

useless

'Not sure why people are so adamant that Burnley will be relegated, people write them off every season but they always turn it around, they've already started showing signs of that recently, only losing two of their last seven and getting some decent results, they might have been comfortably beat in their last game away to Man Utd, but so will many teams at Old Trafford, that result in isolation doesn't really tell us anything.

It won't be easy for Newcastle to finish above them, to stand a chance they will have to have an excellent transfer window, and Burnley's games in hand don't count for nothing, they most likely aren't just going to conveniently lose all those games in hand, they've only lost seven all season that's three less than us, only the top seven and then Palace and Southampton have lost less games.

Also I feel like Watford are in a slightly false position, their last six games have been Arsenal, Man Utd, Leicester, Chelsea, Man City, and West Ham, so of course they will have struggled and dropped down the table after playing those, unfortunately for them their next two are Spurs and Leicester, but before this difficult run they were doing okay and once their fixtures start looking better again no reason why their form can't improve, they've won as many games this season as the bottom three put together.'

Next six games presuming the games go ahead as planned

Watford: Leicester (A), Newcastle (A), Norwich (H), West Ham (A), Brighton (H), Aston Villa (A)

Newcastle: Watford (H), Leeds (A), Everton (H), Aston Villa (H), West Ham (A), Brentford (A)

Norwich: West Ham (A), Everton (H), Watford (A), Crystal Palace (H), Man City (H), Liverpool (A)

Burnley: Leeds (A), Leicester (H), Arsenal (A), Man Utd (H), Liverpool (H), Brighton (A)

Leeds: Burnley (H), West Ham (A), Newcastle (H), Aston Villa (A), Everton (A), Man Utd (H)

Not sure what to make of those, Burnley have the most difficult games to come, Newcastle's fixtures aren't exactly easy for a team that's won one game all season, Watford look like they might have the best chance of picking up some points.

Said it elsewhere but if the fixture of Burnley v Newcastle on the final day of the season could be of any importance, that could be a fun watch.

Although having said that, if you offered me that game being a non event as both (in particular Newcastle) were already relegated I’d take that.

Norwich and Burnley look down to me. Close for the third team between Newcastle and Watford… not sure anyone else will be involved (although there’s often that team which drops like a rock). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Norwich and Burnley look down to me. Close for the third team between Newcastle and Watford… not sure anyone else will be involved (although there’s often that team which drops like a rock). 

Burnley have 3 games in hand on Newcastle.

Still very early to call it but Norwich don’t look great at all.

With Newcastoil, I imagine it’ll be down to which mercenaries will take the cash to get them out of a relegation scrap.

The bottom 5 are so congested it could be any of them along with Norwich. 

The dream would be seeing Newcastoil and Leeds slip down the plug hole! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think Watford and the 2 you mention, Everton are dropping like a rock but you'd think they have enough to stop the rot. Howe is slowly turning it around up there + January acquisitions will help their cause. Be nice if it was Newcastle mind, just to put them back a year.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

…and they’ll still finish below them. 

People says this every season about Burnley but they always manages to survive.

Thing is they are veterans at this. They know what is required and they won't panic.

My head is telling me Norwich, Newcastle and Watford will go down.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People says this every season about Burnley but they always manages to survive.

Thing is they are veterans at this. They know what is required and they won't panic.

My head is telling me Norwich, Newcastle and Watford will go down.

Do they? They’ve been nowhere near relegation the last couple of seasons, but now the goals have dried up and they look very stale.

Obviously they could survive, but they look like fodder right now. 

Burnly have been known to start slow look like they're going to be in a relegation battle and then suddenly hit form and move up the table, most notably in the season when we were in the relegation battle, they were just three points above us in January but then from nowhere went and got thirteen points from their next five games, beating Leicester and Man Utd and drawing with Arsenal. Come the end of the season they finished tenth on 54 points, 19 points ahead of us, despite us being very close to them in January.

They had a slow start last season as well, and people were saying that it would finally be their season to be relegated.

Watford, Newcastle and Norwich for me.

Bonkers that Norwich are only 3 points from safety but I can’t see Smith getting them out of trouble unless they sign Grealish on loan.

Watford messed up bringing the tinker man in and I don’t think Howe has the stomach for a relegation fight.

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Burnly have been known to start slow look like they're going to be in a relegation battle and then suddenly hit form and move up the table, most notably in the season when we were in the relegation battle, they were just three points above us in January but then from nowhere went and got thirteen points from their next five games, beating Leicester and Man Utd and drawing with Arsenal. Come the end of the season they finished tenth on 54 points, 19 points ahead of us, despite us being very close to them in January.

They had a slow start last season as well, and people were saying that it would finally be their season to be relegated.

Yes.

Think they were in a similar situation last season.

Watford have had a really tough run recently and think that needs to be looked at. I think they will be OK but Leeds are sinking and they cant score or defend

The bottom 3 combined have won 4 games out of 54 games. Pathetic really for the alleged most competitive league in the world

Norwich have 2 wins, and Newcastle have 1 but they're both in the fight.

Anyone have any stats on teams being this shit by January and still staying up?

It's amazing they aren't both adrift.

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yes.

Think they were in a similar situation last season.

At this point last season, they had won 4, drawn 4 and lost 8 giving them 16 points. They were in 16th place, 5 points above the relegation zone.

This time they have 11 points and are 2 points from safety.

”Similar”, but a lot worse.