Premier League relegation battle

useless

4 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Looks as though Burnley have sacked Dyche. Crazy decision if so, that's them down

What?! That’s mad by them. If you were gonna sack him you’d need to do it *before* the relegation scrap, not during it when he’s the perfect man for the job 

47 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Given that the team is basically his in every single way, on and off the pitch, this seems so stupid it’s actually hilarious. There’s surely no way another manager can come in and get a song out of those players - they actually looked like they might stay up too

They didn't, they just lost to bottom of the league while the teams above them all won.

They were as good as relegated last week but the decision to sack him is still bizarre.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

They didn't, they just lost to bottom of the league while the teams above them all won.

They were as good as relegated last week but the decision to sack him is still bizarre.

Agreed. Burnley’s problems are all due to a limited budget and squad having to compete against better resourced clubs and teams. Their coaching and management is/was the thing that gave them half a chance each season. But I guess they think “what have we got to lose, we’re **** anyway”

• Like 1

I wonder where Dyche ends up next. I can't see him moving up the table, as good a job as he did at Burnley, I think most clubs' fans would riot if he turned up as the new boss. Wouldn't be surprised to see him repeat the job at Sheffield United or West Brom though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder where Dyche ends up next. I can't see him moving up the table, as good a job as he did at Burnley, I think most clubs' fans would riot if he turned up as the new boss. Wouldn't be surprised to see him repeat the job at Sheffield United or West Brom though. 

Huddersfield, Blackburn, either Sheffield Utd or Wednesday? Perhaps a little obvious but if he’s settled in the area, he may not choose to move far.   He may even like a challenge at Wigan, Sunderland, Boro, Hull or Blackpool? Hasn’t Bradford City had some investment recently?

Dyche will probably get another Premier League job, he's done an outstanding job at Burnley and there will be other clubs looking at him thinking with more money he could do even better. If not he will end up at one of the teams in the championship with parachute payments, If Everton end up relegated, which is still possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as their manager next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder who they have coming in to work with this squad.

Alan Curbishley is available.

Please let it be Lamebert 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Everton in the summer

On 15/04/2022 at 12:20, Davkaus said:

West Brom made a massive blunder not appointing Chris Wilder last summer. Isn't Bruce only on a deal to end of the season, that seems a good fit tbh.

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Everton in the summer

I don't see it. Think Lampard will get up to xmas if he keeps them up and how many times have Everton changed manager in even last 5 years and they've never shown any interest in Dyche given they took Silva from Watford and Martinez also came from Wigan.

Stoke probably also a shout as O'Neill underachieved a bit this season so could be sacked end of season perhaps.

• Like 1

They will be disappointed to throw away the lead and three points after missing a penalty, but I feel if they can get over that then Burnley drawing with West Ham is a very good result for them, in fact if Leicester beat Everton in the week, I'd think Burnley more likely to finish above Everton than the other way around based on the remaining fixtures of the two relegation rivals. Of course a lot will depend on who the new manager is, and Leicester beating Everton isn't a foregone conclusion, but today's point gives them some hope again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, useless said:

They will be disappointed to throw away the lead and three points after missing a penalty, but I feel if they can get over that then Burnley drawing with West Ham is a very good result for them, in fact if Leicester beat Everton in the week, I'd think Burnley more likely to finish above Everton than the other way around based on the remaining fixtures of the two relegation rivals. Of course a lot will depend on who the new manager is, and Leicester beating Everton isn't a foregone conclusion, but today's point gives them some hope again.

Personally think its a missed opportunity. West Ham were jaded after playing on thursday and you cant afford to miss penalties when you are where they are. Also think everton will beat Leicester. 

On 15/04/2022 at 12:32, ferguson1 said:

Huddersfield, Blackburn, either Sheffield Utd or Wednesday? Perhaps a little obvious but if he’s settled in the area, he may not choose to move far.   He may even like a challenge at Wigan, Sunderland, Boro, Hull or Blackpool? Hasn’t Bradford City had some investment recently?

Sean Dyche lives in Kettering, near Northampton. So, he is not settled in the North West.

Everton - 29 points

Liverpool (a) Chelsea (h) Leicester (a) Watford (a) Brentford (h) Palace (h) Arsenal (a)

Burnley - 28 points 

Wolves (h) Watford (a) Villa (h) Spurs (h) Villa (a) Newcastle (h)

I’m gonna guess Everton might pick up about 7 or 8 points at most. I think Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are all nil points for them. Two wins and 2 draws from the other 4 games seems achievable.

Burnley have got to look at all their games bar Spurs as point(s) earners. Let’s say they need 9 points. A win against Watford is a must. A win against Newcastle (already on the beach, perhaps). Maybe a draw against Wolves off the back of today’s result. Then our games into the mix, I’d expect Burnley to win one of them.

As for any teams that currently reside on 36 points…I’m keeping a positive mindset and putting these musings in here rather than on topic, but frankly I’m not terribly happy the thought is crossing my mind as we edge closer towards the start of May.

• Like 1