Premier League relegation battle

useless

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Feck me Newcastle have a tough final four games.

Would be absolutely hilarous if Burnley relegated them final day 

The last 4 games can suddenly become less tough if there's nothing to play for. It could really play into their hands

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2022 at 18:55, bobzy said:

Norwich and Burnley look down to me. Close for the third team between Newcastle and Watford… not sure anyone else will be involved (although there’s often that team which drops like a rock). 

Norwich, Watford and Burnley are going.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Burnley have two games in hand and a more favourable run-in.

They have been down there before and know what to do; Burnley please relegate the Barcodes.

What happened against us yesterday should be enough proof that the Jawdees are NOT going down.

15 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Burnley have two games in hand and a more favourable run-in.

They have been down there before and know what to do; Burnley please relegate the Barcodes.

Burnley did have 4 games in hand and were 2 points off safety.

It’s now 2 games in hand and 7 points from safety. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watford had odd sequence of results since Woy came in....three clean sheets and 5 points away, beaten comfortably at home in both.

No idea what their run in is like but I wouldn't rule out them being able to catch likes of Everton and Leeds just yet, Burnley will certainly ovetake one of them very soon with the run they're in.

Indeed Burnley-Leicester on Tuesday so Burnley get a point and Everton will be 18th with Spurs away up next for them.

Still feels a perception Everton will be comfortable but wouldn't shock me if they're still battling on final day and they have Arsenal away as their last match....as we did in 2016.

We are now starting to get down to the ''business'' end of the season and I've been having a look at the remaining fixtures for the teams in the mix.

I think Norwich and Watford are down.

That leaves one from four of Leeds, Burnley, Everton and Brentford as i think Newcastle and the rest are going to be safe.

Leeds might get the ''new manager bounce'' and pick some points up in the next few games but they have some tough games.

Burnley are Burnley and will pick up points. Brentford need to pick up points against fellow strugglers but seem to have come off the rails altogether.  

Everton have a tough set of fixtures and will surely target the Newcastle and Watford games in the coming weeks as vital to there campaign. I'm not sure they need the FA Cup as a distraction for them. It's something they could do without.

All in all it's going to be an interesting run in. 

Here are the current odds at the bookies and matches left to play (in date order)

Norwich 1/14 - mtp 12

Brentford H - Leeds A - Chelsea H - Brighton A - Burnley H - Man U A - Newcastle H - Villa A - West Ham H - Wolves A - Spurs H

Watford 2/9 - mtp 12

Arsenal H - Wolves A - Southampton - A - Everton H - Liverpool A - Leeds H - Brentford H - Man City A - Burnley H - Palace A - Leicester H - Chelsea A

Burnley 6/5 - mtp 13

Chelsea H - Brentford A - Southampton H - Man City H - Norwich A - West Ham A - Wolves H - Watford A - Villa H - Spurs A - Newcastle H - (TBA Villa A & Everton H)

Leeds 15/8 - mtp 12

Leicester A - Villa H - Norwich H - Wolves A - Southampton H - Watford A - Chelsea H - Palace A - Man City H - Arsenal A - Brighton H - Brentford A

Brentford 2/1 - mtp 11

Norwich A - Burnley H - Leicester A - Chelsea A - West Ham H - Watford A - Spurs H - Man U A - Southampton H - Everton A - Leeds H

Everton 4/1 - mtp 14

Spurs A - Wolves H - Newcastle H - Watford A - West Ham A - Man U H - Palace H - Liverpool A - Chelsea H - Leicester A - Brentford H - Arsenal A - (TBA Burnley A & Leicester H)

Others. Newcastle 7/1, Palace 25/1, Villa 66/1, Leicester 100/1

• Thanks 1

I think Norwich and probably Watford have gone.

Unfortunately Newcastle look safe. Hopefully they find another way to implode.

Leeds being relegated would be the next funniest result. Everton would be the most interesting.

We always seem to struggle to take points off Burnley and Brentford so if one of them went, it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Positive scenario for each then. Brentford and Burnley, potentially ok for us results wise. Everton, novelty. Leeds, hilarious.

4 hours ago, imavillan said:

We are now starting to get down to the ''business'' end of the season and I've been having a look at the remaining fixtures for the teams in the mix.

I think Norwich and Watford are down.

That leaves one from four of Leeds, Burnley, Everton and Brentford as i think Newcastle and the rest are going to be safe.

Leeds might get the ''new manager bounce'' and pick some points up in the next few games but they have some tough games.

Burnley are Burnley and will pick up points. Brentford need to pick up points against fellow strugglers but seem to have come off the rails altogether.  

Everton have a tough set of fixtures and will surely target the Newcastle and Watford games in the coming weeks as vital to there campaign. I'm not sure they need the FA Cup as a distraction for them. It's something they could do without.

All in all it's going to be an interesting run in. 

Here are the current odds at the bookies and matches left to play (in date order)

Norwich 1/14 - mtp 12

Brentford H - Leeds A - Chelsea H - Brighton A - Burnley H - Man U A - Newcastle H - Villa A - West Ham H - Wolves A - Spurs H

Watford 2/9 - mtp 12

Arsenal H - Wolves A - Southampton - A - Everton H - Liverpool A - Leeds H - Brentford H - Man City A - Burnley H - Palace A - Leicester H - Chelsea A

Burnley 6/5 - mtp 13

Chelsea H - Brentford A - Southampton H - Man City H - Norwich A - West Ham A - Wolves H - Watford A - Villa H - Spurs A - Newcastle H - (TBA Villa A & Everton H)

Leeds 15/8 - mtp 12

Leicester A - Villa H - Norwich H - Wolves A - Southampton H - Watford A - Chelsea H - Palace A - Man City H - Arsenal A - Brighton H - Brentford A

Brentford 2/1 - mtp 11

Norwich A - Burnley H - Leicester A - Chelsea A - West Ham H - Watford A - Spurs H - Man U A - Southampton H - Everton A - Leeds H

Everton 4/1 - mtp 14

Spurs A - Wolves H - Newcastle H - Watford A - West Ham A - Man U H - Palace H - Liverpool A - Chelsea H - Leicester A - Brentford H - Arsenal A - (TBA Burnley A & Leicester H)

Others. Newcastle 7/1, Palace 25/1, Villa 66/1, Leicester 100/1

If Norwich could win there next two games  who knows 

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

When are we playing Burnley for the first time this season? 

Why has it taken over 2 months to reschedule this game? 

They had a lot of other games to reschedule as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Everton have got some tough games there, they're in trouble if they dont get at least 4 points from Newcastle and Watford

Could genuinely see them losing both. Watford scored five at Goodison earlier this season.

The key for them is beating mid table teams at Goodison like Palace and Leicester who'll have little to play for now in the league but again you can see likes of Zaha and Vardy causing them issues on the break.

I do think Everton are in serious danger here as I can't see them picking up many points at all from what they have left to play away.

Who knew Brentford would comfortably win when playing a team around their level? They just had a really hard fixture list last few months.

Despite DS giving it a go that pretty much relegates Norwich.

Annoying that Burnley get within a point of Everton and start losing again, wouldn't rule out Watford grinding out a point v Arsenal though so they have chance to get close.

Newcastle all but safe sadly, cracking stuff by Howe it must be said. Difn't think he had it in him to revitalize them mid season even with a January window.

Edited by VillaChris

Yup, Norwich are ****. It was a very poor decision for Smith to jump straight back into the game in that job, his stock has dropped drastically, so he'd better hope that he can bring them straight back up, or the fans will be wondering why they sacked Farke who had an incredibly record in that division.

Ultimately though, Smith was brought in to keep them up. The idea that anyone thought it was a sensible objective is laughable, but he might not make it to next season. Getting sacked twice in a season will sting.