Premier League relegation battle

useless

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

If we don't take at least four points off those clog wearing whippet rapers at Burnley I am NOT going to be happy

Yes we have a bit more steel about us under Gerrard so I'm optimistic. I thought Burnley would escape relegation but three defeats in a row now. 

I saw an Everton fan joke after Thursday's games that they might already have enough points to survive, might not have been far away from the truth. This is a particularly bad result for Barnsley, as they don't play again until next month and that's against Man City, Leeds and Everton play twice before then, so a chance for those two teams open up a gap between themselves and the bottom three, albeit the flip side for Leeds is they need to make sure they make their next two count as after they've played them Burnley will have three games in hand.

What might help Burnley is that they still have Norwich and Watford to play, and will probably rate their chances of getting something from home games against us, Southampton, Newcastle, and Wolves, especially as chances are these teams might have nothing to play for.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

still think burnley will be alright, they should have scored today and we have to play that rearranged game against them at some point. the 3-2 in Jan last year was really annoying, i got a new job offer that day to start later on in the year and told the person who offered it to me that it would be the perfect day if we manage to win the game....we went from 2-1 up to losing 3-2. Still Watford Norwich and Leeds to go down imo. Burnley capable of putting a few results together, particularly if they only need a win or 2 plus some draws

Edited by Villatillidie95

If it is Burnley to go down with Norwich and Watford, then I will take some small comfort that Ben Mee will be relegated with them. I just hope nobody in the PL buys him and brings him straight back up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Since that 5-0 for Everton, others results have gone perfect for them. You can rely on other teams sometimes.

I used to hate it when we were in a relegation battle. Just felt shit relying on others 

In our case our rivals usually got good results 🙄

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, useless said:

This is a particularly bad result for Barnsley, as they don't play again until next month and that's against Man City, Leeds and Everton play twice before then

I dunno, draw against Fulham ain’t bad considering.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Since that 5-0 for Everton, others results have gone perfect for them. You can rely on other teams sometimes.

Even before then, Burnley were 10 minutes from putting them in bottom 3 but then conceded twice at home to a very average Leicester so Everton certainly getting pretty lucky currently.

Danger is them thinking it will last for another two months. It won't and likes of Leeds could start to pull away if they win tomorrow.

Watford did their typical managerial sacking and imploded before playing us by getting rid of pearson. iirc we were lucky to win that, the konsa/mings deflection goal thingie was great to witness though! people had already started leaving and it was fantastic to watch the bluenose deeney who celebrated after giving them the lead in the first half walk straight down the tunnel after the 90 after all teh villa fans were taunting him.

19/20 we were lucky as the final day against west ham antonio missed a pretty much open goal which would have relegated us. the 1-1 draw was huge for us, tomorrow's contesrt with 6th place v 9th place shows how much both teams have improved

Watford and Bournemouth messing up really helped us in 19/20 but I still think we were saved by two freakish things- the first being sent into lockdown after the 4-0 defeat at Leicester, we emerged a different team in Project Restart and secondly Hawkeye failing. Maybe we would have survived anyway but its mental a failure in goal line tech has never happened before or since. 

As much as I’d like Everton or Leeds to go down (nothing against Everton really, it’s just a more interesting outcome), I can’t see it being anyone other than Norwich, Watford and Burnley. They all seem to be fighting to be the worst down there. It is absolutely delightful not to be part of it.

• Like 1

Difficult to keep up with this so have I got it right?

Watford already relegated while Everton will comfortably stay up?

Table says both teams are on 22 points.

Watched last five minutes of Everton-Wolves and gone toxic again at Goodison, think the Gladys end knows their time as a premier league club is coming to an end.

Watford have an easier fixture list left imo and surely won't keep losing at home so I fancy them to get another three wins this season and still wouldn't rule Burnley out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Difficult to keep up with this so have I got it right?

Watford already relegated while Everton will comfortably stay up?

Table says both teams are on 22 points.

Watched last five minutes of Everton-Wolves and gone toxic again at Goodison, think the Gladys end knows their time as a premier league club is coming to an end.

Watford have an easier fixture list left imo and surely won't keep losing at home so I fancy them to get another three wins this season and still wouldn't rule Burnley out.

Yep, I can feel myself now switching my thoughts already and am slightly leaning towards Everton dropping now! I thought the injustice of that Man City penalty debacle might have galvanised them. Nope.

Everton need to pick up something from the Saudis, Watford, Palace, Leicester and Brentford because I can’t see them getting anything elsewhere. And I don’t see many points from those five opponents I’ve listed there.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yep, I can feel myself now switching my thoughts already and am slightly leaning towards Everton dropping now! I thought the injustice of that Man City penalty debacle might have galvanised them. Nope.

Everton need to pick up something from the Saudis, Watford, Palace, Leicester and Brentford because I can’t see them getting anything elsewhere. And I don’t see many points from those five opponents I’ve listed there.

Watford still got to play Brentford at home (winnable if they get Sarr back soon), Burnley at home (same), Leeds (more tricky as can see Leeds picking up a bit) and that's before Watford-Everton which could be placed right at the end of the season.

Bit bizarre Watford have picked up all their points under Hodgson away from home so if they replicate that at home in closing weeks they're likely ending up on 32-33 points.

Everton in massive trouble. Probably need to win three from final six at Goodison and they've still got Chelsea and Man. United to play there.

• Like 1

Leeds aren't out of it yet, only just about beat Norwich today with a goal that was apparently blatantly offside and a late injury time winner, they've got the advantage today because it's Norwich they've played, but Burnley still have Norwich to play as well so things will even themselves up in that regard. Watford only four points behind Leeds now as well and their next three home games are Leeds, Brentford, and Burnley.

Leeds play Wolves next this Friday after they've played that game they will have played three more games than Burnley and Everton, and one more than Watford, so that's a game that they really could do with winning.

Everton look to be in the most trouble though even with their games in hand, other than perhaps Newcastle and Brentford, all their more winnable games are away from home which isn't good for them as they have the worst away record in the league; after they play Newcastle on Thursday, their next four fixtures are West Ham away, Man Utd home, Liverpool away, and Chelsea home, so Thursday's game pretty much a must win for them.