Premier League relegation battle

useless

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’d be pretty shocked if Everton go down. If they beat Newcastle next game, they will be a decent gap between them and the relegation zone.

IF. If Newcastle beat them they are one point behind them.

Last season, after 22 games the bottom three of Sheffield United, WBA and Fulham had 11, 12 and 15 points. They finished on 23, 26 and 28.

Only Norwich have played 22 games and they’re on 16 points (plus you have to take into consideration their points return has increased since Smith’s appointment). 

It’ll be around 33-35 points for survival as it usually is.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Last season, after 22 games the bottom three of Sheffield United, WBA and Fulham had 11, 12 and 15 points. They finished on 23, 26 and 28.

Only Norwich have played 22 games and they’re on 16 points (plus you have to take into consideration their points return has increased since Smith’s appointment). 

What did 17th have out of interest? 

Just now, villa4europe said:

What did 17th have out of interest? 

After 22 matches, Newcastle were 17th on 22 points. They ultimately finished 12th (somehow) on 45 points.

Burnley finished 17th on 39 points, at the 22 game point, they were 16th on 23 points.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's the thing... Its not about how many points 18th have its about how many 17th have... 

That’s fair, I think the points difference between 17th and 20th will be significantly smaller than last season, let alone 17th to 18th.

I think the bottom four (five with Everton) are more capable to pick up points than the bottom three last season, so the points might be distributed more evenly. There won’t be eleven points between 17th and 18th this season like there was last season, is my guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Had no idea the bottom three were that bad last season. Shows I was focusing on the other half of the table.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Had no idea the bottom three were that bad last season. Shows I was focusing on the other half of the table.

I’ve said before on here I had genuine hopes of a Fulham - Newcastle final day decider which now seems farcical.

I think the bottom four or five have a bit more about them this year. Or maybe because there’s potentially 5 teams in the mix (and Leeds haven’t been great), they’re sharing the points around more when they play each other. I wouldn’t be too surprised if this season’s 20th placed team reached around what 18th placed Fulham did last year.

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Still think it will be Newcastle, their signings haven’t done anything to change my mind, very meh signings. 

It’s not about how bad they will be, but how bad their rivals. I think only Burnley have it in them to compete. Watford I think are done. Not sure about Smith effect but he needs a miracle. Add to that the fact that Newcastle weren’t easy to beat. Same as Burnley. Watford got their points through shock winnings. 

It's going to be a fascinating watch - Burnley are the great unknown - with them having had most of a month off while they waited to sign a striker, it'll be a question of whether they can profit from the time off or whether their fixture pile up might catch up with them. If they start winning, there will be a panic.

Newcastle have given themselves a decent chance and if Burnley start winning and Newcastle pick up points, it'll drag in Everton, Leeds and Brentford. I wouldn't rule Brentford out yet.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's going to be a fascinating watch - Burnley are the great unknown - with them having had most of a month off while they waited to sign a striker, it'll be a question of whether they can profit from the time off or whether their fixture pile up might catch up with them. If they start winning, there will be a panic.

Newcastle have given themselves a decent chance and if Burnley start winning and Newcastle pick up points, it'll drag in Everton, Leeds and Brentford. I wouldn't rule Brentford out yet.

brentford are the ultimate shithouse though. worst side weve played  this season yet they found a way to beat us. they'll pick up enough points

everton won't go down. they weren't THAT bad against us. the points will come. leeds are the ones to watch IMO.

watched their game vs newcastle thinking i'd see a great relegation 6 pointer but they were absolutely garbage

20 hours ago, Adman said:

I've been fancying Everton getting dragged in.  Lampard, Dele and van de beek actually could make them worse imo

Agreed,  No way is he going to get a tune out of both of them straight away.

Hopefully they both never click and they lose big when they play.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

So what’s the worst result for Newcastle on Saturday, Watford or Burnley winning?

I’m leaning towards Watford winning being worse for them as Burnley would still have two games in hand and perhaps they have a bit more about them than Watford to make it up. But I’m not completely sure.