Premier League relegation battle

useless

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup, Norwich are ****. It was a very poor decision for Smith to jump straight back into the game in that job, his stock has dropped drastically, so he'd better hope that he can bring them straight back up, or the fans will be wondering why they sacked Farke who had an incredibly record in that division.

Ultimately though, Smith was brought in to keep them up. The idea that anyone thought it was a sensible objective is laughable, but he might not make it to next season. Getting sacked twice in a season will sting.

Isn't DS record at Norwich still around a point a game? Or pretty much similar to what he churned out in 19/20 for us.

I could see logic in him coming back him as I don't think he'd have been in contention for another prem job this season and at least he gets six months to assess Norwich squad.

Does need to hit ground running in championship though based on their previous two seasons down there otherwise pressure will build.

Farke losing all those games at the start of the season basically relegated them.

Just checked and DS has collected 12 points from 16 games so not completely terrible considering Benitez had similar record at Everton. Similar to what Hodgson is churning out at Watford aswell.

• Like 1

Norwich aren't in the bottom three based on games since Smith took over, Watford and Everton have taken less points since then, Leeds have taken the same number of points but have a worse goal difference over the same spell.

Unfortunately for them the league is judged on the whole season but he hasn't done a bad job relative to what you'd expect from their team, been a bad spell recently losing four games in a row, but three of those were agains Liverpool, Man City, and Southampton who were one of the most in form teams in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yup, Norwich are ****. It was a very poor decision for Smith to jump straight back into the game in that job, his stock has dropped drastically, so he'd better hope that he can bring them straight back up, or the fans will be wondering why they sacked Farke who had an incredibly record in that division.

Ultimately though, Smith was brought in to keep them up. The idea that anyone thought it was a sensible objective is laughable, but he might not make it to next season. Getting sacked twice in a season will sting.

Hasnt Smith won about the same amount of Premier League games as Farke? 

I think Norwich the club are just happy to drift between leagues 

They were touching survival in January and got no help, similar with Farke in 2020

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hasnt Smith won about the same amount of Premier League games as Farke? 

I think Norwich the club are just happy to drift between leagues 

They were touching survival in January and got no help, similar with Farke in 2020

I don’t think they are happy about it, more that they don’t have much choice. 

• Like 1

Dean Smith has never beaten a team he has previously managed.I went yesterday score flattered us I expect as they did miss some early chances but we definitely deserved to win and gives us a bit of confidence for the rest of the season with our best players now back and the improving Ericksen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Dean Smith has never beaten a team he has previously managed.I went yesterday score flattered us I expect as they did miss some early chances but we definitely deserved to win and gives us a bit of confidence for the rest of the season with our best players now back and the improving Ericksen.

It will go down to the wire but I think/hope you will stay up. Hope Norwich stick with Dean, he will most likely get them back up.

27 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

yesterday was a massive 3pts. think it's a 3 horse race for the final spot between you leeds and burnley. watford and norwich are done

Norwich:

Chelsea (h), Leeds (a), Brighton (a), Burnley (h), Man Utd (a), Newcastle (h), Aston Villa (a), West Ham (h), Wolves (a), Spurs (h)

Watford:

Wolves (a), Southampton (a), Everton (h)ᵖ, Liverpool (a), Leeds (h), Brentford (h), Man City (a), Burnley (h), Palace (a), Leicester (h), Chelsea (a)

Burnley:

Brentford (a), Southampton (h)ᵖ, Man City (h), Norwich (a), West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Watford (a), Aston Villa (h), Spurs (a), Newcastle (h)

Everton:

Spurs (a), Wolves (h), Newcastle (h), Palace (a), Watford (a)ᵖ, West Ham (a), Man Utd (h), Palace (h)ᵖ, Liverpool (a), Chelsea (h), Leicester (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a)

Leeds:

Aston Villa (h), Norwich (h), Wolves (a), Southampton (h), Watford (a), Chelsea (h), Palace (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (a), Brighton (h), Brentford (a)

Brentford:

Burnley (h), Leicester (a), Chelsea (a), West Ham (h), Watford (a), Spurs (h), Man Utd (a), Southampton (h), Everton (a), Leeds (h)

Newcastle:

Southampton (a), Chelsea (a), Everton (a), Palace (h)ᵖ, Spurs (a), Wolves (h), Leicester (h), Nowrich (a), Liverpool (H), Man City (a), Arsenal (h), Burnley (a)

I think there are a few fixtures missing presumably because they haven't been given a date yet, but looking at those Everton look to have the most difficult run in, the others are much of a muchness, when teams are struggling hard what's an easy run in and what isn't because they can potentially struggle against any team in the league, Leeds fixtures don't look too bad for example, but they're where they are for a reason.

dare i say it but Newcastle could get dragged back into it as well, three away games coming up, and still have to play a lot of the top teams, they could do with beating Southampton next, a lot might depend on how Southampton's defeat against us has affected them, they could go on a poor run now.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It will go down to the wire but I think/hope you will stay up. Hope Norwich stick with Dean, he will most likely get them back up.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yes I hope they stick with Dean 

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

They clearly weren't 'happy' about it, or else they wouldn't have sacked Farke.

maybe but they gave Smith no support in January even after they had got out of the relegation zone

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe but they gave Smith no support in January even after they had got out of the relegation zone

Given the overwhelming likelihood of relegation that was obvious even in January, it's no surprise they didn't spend a lot of money on a fruitless lost cause. 

I was slightly surprised that Smith didn't try to loan El Ghazi at the time - it would certainly have been better for everyone than going to Everton who don't even want him - but thinking about it I'm not actually sure if Norwich had any more available slots for loan players. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Given the overwhelming likelihood of relegation that was obvious even in January, it's no surprise they didn't spend a lot of money on a fruitless lost cause. 

I was slightly surprised that Smith didn't try to loan El Ghazi at the time - it would certainly have been better for everyone than going to Everton who don't even want him - but thinking about it I'm not actually sure if Norwich had any more available slots for loan players. 

I think if they had a loan spot he probably would have took Anwar, Targett or Trez

They didnt have to go wild but should have supported him by getting a centre back. Somebody like Hause be an upgrade in that defence and hardly a big transfer 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

thing is there's going to be that one season where they don't come straight back up. then i think they're in big trouble. if it was a lost cause they might as well have kept farke