Premier League relegation battle

useless

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd like Leeds to go. 

Genuinely dislikable from players to fans. 

Pathetic today on and off the pitch unless you are Martin Tyler who seemed to believe Leeds gave City a game and had a great atmosphere 😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pathetic today on and off the pitch unless you are Martin Tyler who seemed to believe Leeds gave City a game and had a great atmosphere 😂

The new manager hasn't coached the suicideball out of them yet.

After the 90th minute, one of the commentators was praising Leeds for still going at it, flooding forward and creating chances. Moments later it was 4-0.

Very, very brave.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The new manager hasn't coached the suicideball out of them yet.

After the 90th minute, one of the commentators was praising Leeds for still going at it, flooding forward and creating chances. Moments later it was 4-0.

Very, very brave.

Funniest part is Leeds goal difference is disgraceful compared to Everton or Burnley. If it comes down to it that madness will cost them

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Funniest part is Leeds goal difference is disgraceful compared to Everton or Burnley. If it comes down to it that madness will cost them

True, but it makes no difference now anyway. Their goal difference was completely **** before this guy answered the phone.

Their GD looks bad enough but I've never paid too much attention to it - they've conceded the most goals in the league, 1 more than Norwich, and 20 odd more than Everton. Christ.

Guest av1

Although I dislike Leeds far more than Everton, Money is not an issue with Everton, rather poor management decisions. 

A couple of good decisions with continued investment could see them climb the table. So from a Villa perspective I’m leaning towards preferring to see Everton go.  

Watford have lost their last eleven games at Vicarage Road, so would think if Everton were to have a chance of three points in any of their remaining away games it would be that one. But then again if it was Villa playing Watford away after they'd lost eleven in a row at home, I'd be worrying that that run has to come to and end some time.

The more I look at it the more I think Leeds could be in big trouble, they're five points clear at the moment but their last four games are Arsenal away, which won't be easy, Chelsea home, who have the second best away record in the league, Brighton home, who have the fourth best away record in the league, and Brentford away, who haven't lost at home since February.

As it stands I'd have Everton as favorites to go down, but if they were to win today, which seems unlikey given the above about Chelsea having the second best away record in the league, but Everton's home record is pretty decent, then I think Leeds would become favorites to go down, as Everton would be just two points off them with a game in hand and more winnable games left to play, although them beating Chelsea is a big if.

Burnley aren't out of it yet.

14 hours ago, penguin said:

Have Burnley actually undergone any tactical change since Dyche getting the boot or are they just doing what they've done for 10 years and now picked up a few results?
Genuine question I avoid them like the plague, I seem to recall them having spurts of results like this over the years to get out of danger. Admittedly not so late in the season, but may be wrong there.

My initial reaction was sacking Dyche was ridiculous and I'm still not really moved on that but if they stay up I guess they won't care. Although good luck finding another manager to keep you in the Premier League for 10 years with an average spend of £8.5M a year, the guy was a **** magician.

Tweak more than change. They’re a bit less frantic, play a bit more of a “take your time on the ball and make sure the pass is good” and playing McNeill on the right to cut in on his left foot.

I quite like Burnley and think Dyche is a good manager. I think when they sacked him it was kind of a case of them thinking if they didn’t make a change , they were ****, if they did make a change they were probably still ****, but “what is there to lose, it just might work” (from their perspective).

Come on Chelsea - tonk Everton and send the bastards down. Nothing against Everton as a club (other than the huge racism from their fans) but we all know they're still owned by an Oligarch whatever the official position is - it would be fully deserved. 

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Come on Chelsea - tonk Everton and send the bastards down. Nothing against Everton as a club (other than the huge racism from their fans) but we all know they're still owned by an Oligarch whatever the official position is - it would be fully deserved. 

And for throwing about 10 bottles at our players for celebrating a goal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, av1 said:

Although I dislike Leeds far more than Everton, Money is not an issue with Everton, rather poor management decisions. 

A couple of good decisions with continued investment could see them climb the table. So from a Villa perspective I’m leaning towards preferring to see Everton go.  

exactly. i don't fear leeds being too big a threat to us. same as burnley. but leeds going down would be much funnier.

the head wants everton to go down, the heart wants leeds to go.

Can see Chelsea doing Lampard a favour and rolling over today. I'm still looking over our shoulder as Burnley catch us if they beat us twice (feasible given our slump and their resurgence) and Everton have 6 games to get 11 points and will play an abject Watford side midweek. Leeds could be under the most threat as they have Chelsea and Arsenal next and Chelsea won't roll over for Leeds as they would Everton and Arsenal are pushing for top four. Leeds are also up against Brighton who they historically struggle against (see us vs Brentford) and then Brentford themselves who don't like Leeds either and will give them a hard game. Today is massive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theunderstudy said:

Can see Chelsea doing Lampard a favour and rolling over today. I'm still looking over our shoulder as Burnley catch us if they beat us twice (feasible given our slump and their resurgence) and Everton have 6 games to get 11 points and will play an abject Watford side midweek. Leeds could be under the most threat as they have Chelsea and Arsenal next and Chelsea won't roll over for Leeds as they would Everton and Arsenal are pushing for top four. Leeds are also up against Brighton who they historically struggle against (see us vs Brentford) and then Brentford themselves who don't like Leeds either and will give them a hard game. Today is massive.

I'm not.

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Their GD looks bad enough but I've never paid too much attention to it - they've conceded the most goals in the league, 1 more than Norwich, and 20 odd more than Everton. Christ.

All on Bielsa that given they lost 7-0 to Man. City and 4-0 at home to Arsenal over xmas. And in his last game it was 4-0 loss to Spurs. Just take standard 2-0 losses in all those games and they'd be pretty much in line with Everton's GD.

Watch the media all blame Marsch if they go down and just ignore that when you consider his record has actually been pretty good since he came in.

1 hour ago, theunderstudy said:

🙄 You don't go down with 40 points, we aren't in the conversation since yesterday.

Everton have picked up 11 points in their last 17 league matches.

Some people not only think they might achieve that in 6, but that we'll also lose our next 5 games. Incredible

Edited by Davkaus

I see Micah Richards did even more to ingratiate himself to us in Saturday's Daily Mail when he said the following about the biggest club to be relegated from the PL: 

"Villa were the biggest club to suffer this fate, bigger than Nottingham Forest (1993) and Leeds (2004). They will lose that title this spring, however, if Everton fall. Everton are a huge club."

It's not a title that we want to cling onto, it's not like being Champions of Europe (when did "huge" Everton do that by the way?), but for an ex-player of our club to claim that Everton are a bigger club than us just demonstrates what a prize pillock he is! :angry:

image.webp.54a94dac4e25161de30fdb56ef8861f7.webp