Pre match thread

ender4

17 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I'm going to see if I can, but tbh not sure how many people are going to be rushing to buy tickets to a game which could be called off at any minute. Good news is my brother can get a refund on his ticket as he has tested positive.

I sold my Burnley ticket a few days before it was cancelled. And it was Burnley.

I am tripled vacc'd now so I have decided I will attend- if the match goes ahead.

On 21/12/2021 at 12:14, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s a good question. They say isolate for 10 days but in my experience I was negative after around 4 days as was the missus. Maybe they could play if they are negative 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

You should still isolate for 10 days (now 7 days) even if you test negative after a few days. Those are the Government rules. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t think they count unless they have played first team football this season. May include being on the bench though.

I'd read it as anyone who has been in a first team squad but the rules are so peculiar on registration that it's hard to tell in fairness.

Watford have got the Wolves game cancelled - they've had three keepers play for them this season and twenty-three outfield players - that suggests that they are without at least twelve of those twenty six players - or without all three keepers. That seems a lot.

For us, we've had two keepers play and twenty-eight outfield players - three of those are out on loan, but that's still twenty-five outfield players (plus Trezeguet who hasn't played but you'd think would be in contention and registered) - we'd need to lose either both keepers or twelve of those outfield players to put this game in doubt.

Nakamba, perhaps Aaron Ramsey, Traore and Bailey are injured - so we'd be looking at twenty-one outfield players and two keepers before Covid - we'd need to be looking at maybe nine cases to get the game postponed. 

I suspect the ruling on keepers will include people who've been picked in a squad even if they haven't played, and I'm not sure if we've used more players than a lot of people, but I can't see how we could get down to having just 14 fit players unless we're absolutely swamped with positive test results.

The rumour on the last page was Mings, Ings, Young and Luiz - that'd still leave us with two keepers and seventeen outfield players (plus Trezeguet).

• Like 4

I get the feeling we haven't had that many positive cases. The rules around 13 players and 1 GK came after the teams met on Monday. We had our game called off against Burnley because some of the players intended to start tested positive that morning which meant others could test positive in the squad in the coming days etc.. 

I am sure given the number of players we have in U23s who played in EFL cup and our first team squad we will field a team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

If this game goes ahead (which is looking likely) then I'm very confused about why Burnley was called off. We're lead to believe we had a number of late positive cases, how are those people now available?

Because the 4 out for Norwich have come back in the meantime would be my guess plus maybe a couple of injuries cleared up ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Because the 4 out for Norwich have come back in the meantime would be my guess plus maybe a couple of injuries cleared up ?

Be interesting to know at what point does an "injured player" become eligible for selection. For example Traore and Trez. Neither are anywhere near being able to start a PL game, but technically they are part of the first team and available to play. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2021 at 09:47, OutByEaster? said:

You have to have 13 outfield players and 1 goalkeeper in order to play.

If you haven't got a goalkeeper you can postpone.

I don't think Leeds had one against Man City?😀

• Haha 3