Pre match thread

ender4

41 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Without knowing team news and looking at worse case, we could be playing the kids against lukaku etc. Surely if we havent got a substantial amount of regular first teamers we will postpone

Or rather we might try to postpone. And the PL might reject our request. Just like they did to Chelsea last week, depending on their 13 outplayers rule. I'm dreading the kids v Lukaku and co.. It could get very ugly.

• Like 2

If there is any doubts at all about the amount of first teamers we will have, we should get in a request to postpone ASAP. Everton's first one was rejected, the second time they had it approved. Benitez made comments stating that he will have to play calvert-lewin and some of the kids and others who have injuries would need to push themselves. He went on to say who would be responsible for these injuries if they are aggravated etc.

I expect the Leeds game on 28th will be off due to their covid issues, so the premier league will probably want ours to go ahead, especially as another premier league match has bitten the dust. we are also sky sport's key game that way so i expect it will be difficult to get it called off and we will probably be lucky to get anything out of that game if we have a depleted squad

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

If this game goes ahead (which is looking likely) then I'm very confused about why Burnley was called off. We're lead to believe we had a number of late positive cases, how are those people now available?

They've established a 13 player rule since then, and we had loads of youth players feature in the League Cup so they now count as first teamers too. And Chelsea obviously have a massive squad so they'll be fine.

Leeds will probably struggle again two days later.

42 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

They've established a 13 player rule since then.

I'm not sure this is quite true - I think the 13 player rule is an existing rule that's been in place for a long time - from what I can gather of the Premier league meeting, it looks like the clubs were told to shut up and play on, that the rule would be enforced and that the league weren't going to listen to anything else. From the sound of Conte and the other managers, it looks like they were given very short shrift.

The season already finishes a little later this year on the 22nd May, there's some sort of an international tournament from 4th June which England are in and then we're up and running on the 13th August for the new season in order to fit the World Cup in - I think the Premier league are in absolute terror of not being able to fit all the games in and having to give money back to the broadcasters.

"Sod the quality, sod sporting integrity, just get something on those screens" seems to be the instruction.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

"Sod the quality, sod sporting integrity, just get something on those screens" seems to be the instruction.

Totally agree with this and you can understand why the managers are so pissed off as it’s their jobs on the line. I feel for the players but a bit of me is quite excited to see what mad things happen over the next couple of weeks. Will we see some new super star kid catch fire? We will see a depleted team over perform and get a crazy result. 

So much of the Prem is pretty predictable it’ll be interesting to see what happens when you give the snow globe a good shake. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Totally agree with this and you can understand why the managers are so pissed off as it’s their jobs on the line. I feel for the players but a bit of me is quite excited to see what mad things happen over the next couple of weeks. Will we see some new super star kid catch fire? We will see a depleted team over perform and get a crazy result. 

So much of the Prem is pretty predictable it’ll be interesting to see what happens when you give the snow globe a good shake. 

I was thinking this. I reckon if Archer plays he will rip them a new arsehole

Can we just rewind this a little. 

All the reports after the meeting on Monday said THE CLUBS had voted to play on with the 13 player rule. 

Ultimately The Premier League IS the clubs. They all have 1 share of voting rights each.  You can't separate out The Premier League from The Clubs. 

I suspect that The Premier League executive reminded The Club representatives how much money they were going to lose from the TV deals and they voted to continue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Can we just rewind this a little. 

All the reports after the meeting on Monday said THE CLUBS had voted to play on with the 13 player rule. 

Ultimately The Premier League IS the clubs. They all have 1 share of voting rights each.  You can't separate out The Premier League from The Clubs. 

I suspect that The Premier League executive reminded The Club representatives how much money they were going to lose from the TV deals and they voted to continue. 

No voting took place at the meeting according to the papers.

The rule on 13+1 players I think was one that they put in at the start of the season as a Covid protocol. It's not a new one from the meeting.