Pre match thread

ender4

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Well that is what they are saying today. Tomorrow could be completely different. I think everyone just wants clarity on this. We don't want Saturday's experience to happen again.

yes it is very frustrating, as per usual the fans will always be the last ones to know. Think a lot will give it a miss due to havoc of boxing day travel, lack of trains, being with family elsewhere in the country etc.....do fear we could have a repeat of the weekend if authorities aren't clear with their communication

7 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

yes it is very frustrating, as per usual the fans will always be the last ones to know. Think a lot will give it a miss due to havoc of boxing day travel, lack of trains, being with family elsewhere in the country etc.....do fear we could have a repeat of the weekend if authorities aren't clear with their communication

Yes he says no restrictions until after Christmas what does that mean? Does boxing day count as part of the festive period? It is putting the onus on deciding to go or not back onto the fans again.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think once Xmas day is over that’s when further restrictions will come in. Sports behind closed doors included. 

If that is the case why don't they just say it now? As well as the football you have the King George at Kempton.  Too scared to upset people? Will give people more time to re-arrange plans. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

If that is the case why don't they just say it now? As well as the football you have the King George at Kempton.  Too scared to upset people? Will give people more time to re-arrange plans. 

I guess they are trying to get as much information as they can before they make a decision - that seems sensible to me. Individuals have to make plans - and contingency plans - knowing that things could change at any time given the backdrop of Omicron.

I feel a bit sorry for Boris on these matters because he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well there’s not enough evidence to suggest this new variant is serious enough for new restrictions to be implemented. That’s what Boris has said. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

Looks like Douglas Luiz, Mings, Young and Possibly Ings are out with Covid for game.
Sanson should be back start. 
Could possible see a debut for Tim Iroegbunam.
Exciting to see the kids get a chance we really gave them a great game in the league cup, should of won that. 

-------------Martinez-----------
Cash- Konsa-Axel- Targett

Mcginn- Sanson- J Ramsey

Buendia- Watkins- Carney

Edited by messi11

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Looks like Douglas Luiz, Mings, Young and Possibly Ings are out with Covid for game.
Exciting to see the kids get a chance we really gave them a great game in the league cup, should of won that. 

Where did you get this from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

-------------Martinez-----------
Cash- Konsa-Axel- Targett

Mcginn- Sanson- J Ramsey

Buendia- Watkins- Carney

If that’s the case a pretty good line up. Lose Watkins or Konsa and it could get Dicey.

It'll be interesting to see what team Chelsea manage to field tonight in the Carabao Cup. It may give us an idea of what to expect on Saturday.

To be fair, they have a wealth of resources at their disposal so like, City, Man Utd and Liverpool should be able to ride this out on their strength in depth without too much trouble

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

One things for sure. 

If they do pause the league and we're miles away from the relegation zone, I'm going to be one helluva lot more relaxed. 

No way we even come close to relegation which will be around the 30-34 pts mark. We are just 3-4  victories away from that.

11 hours ago, messi11 said:

Sources close to the club have said. 

According to who?

I read it on a twitter, but I've seen nothing outside of that and the club are extremely careful on protecting that detail.

I mean, it might be correct, but it seems more likely to be a guess to me - Douglas Luiz particularly was out bowling on Sunday night in Birmingham, so he'd have been a Monday test at the earliest.

If it is true, I'd play Hause over Tuanzebe - but the rest of the line up isn't too bad.

Bit controversial but I like the idea that prem teams will have to actually utilise their full squads and younger players for a few weeks. Nice to see players play who don't usually play and ordinarily get to earn their £20k+ per week purely by training or playing the odd cup game.

Also, as someone mentioned, potentially no sub keeper increases the likelihood of an outfield player having to go in goal. And who doesn't love that!!

• Like 1

Also seems like when he says 'we have enough' it is probably using the below definition of the Premier League. I.e. there will be a lot of kids in the squad.

Vs Barrow we played with the below:

Starters: Archer, Carney, Philogene-Bidace

Sub Appearances: Caleb, Lindley, Aaron Ramsey

Unused Subs: Bogarde, Sinisalo, Swinkels

Interesting to see who gets used here...

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just watched this press conference and SG seems much more downbeat that in previous pressers… he seemed quite quiet.
We all find different situations stressful, perhaps he’s worried about his and his families health, I know I am so I don’t blame him. 
Obviously just putting two and two together though so might be miles away.