Pre match thread

ender4

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Just watched this press conference and SG seems much more downbeat that in previous pressers… he seemed quite quiet.
We all find different situations stressful, perhaps he’s worried about his and his families health, I know I am so I don’t blame him. 
Obviously just putting two and two together though so might be miles away.

Maybe he thought we had a decent chance at beating Chelsea with a full team to pick from, but now have no chance as our Covid situation is worse than we think?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Maybe he thought we had a decent chance at beating Chelsea with a full team to pick from, but now have no chance as our Covid situation is worse than we think?

Maybe, I think it’s all unknown though at the moment, as is Chelsea’s strength. Their squad is worth about half a billion though so there are somethings we know! 

Interesting to see what the attendance will be for this one if it does go ahead with fans allowed. I've got 4 tickets, my brother is isolating until after Xmas due to a positive test and I doubt my old man is going to be comfortable going with the current situation, so doubt any of our out will go, meaning that's 4 empty seats right there.

Obviously it's the risk you take at the moment, but a bit gutting to be 200 quid down on a game I'm unlikely to attend, really wish the government would've made a definitive decision one way or the other by now, but no chance of that.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Interesting to see what the attendance will be for this one if it does go ahead with fans allowed. I've got 4 tickets, my brother is isolating until after Xmas due to a positive test and I doubt my old man is going to be comfortable going with the current situation, so doubt any of our out will go, meaning that's 4 empty seats right there.

Obviously it's the risk you take at the moment, but a bit gutting to be 200 quid down on a game I'm unlikely to attend, really wish the government would've made a definitive decision one way or the other by now, but no chance of that.

Can you not resell them?

Just now, icouldtelltheworld said:

I'm going to see if I can, but tbh not sure how many people are going to be rushing to buy tickets to a game which could be called off at any minute. Good news is my brother can get a refund on his ticket as he has tested positive.

I just put a single seat on the resell and it was bought straight away. I'd imagine there would be even greater demand if you have a few together.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out the pool of players that we have and that we need to select a minimum of 13 outfield players and 1 goalkeeper from. It looks like the criteria is that they have to have been involved in a first team squad this season in order to qualify.

So, that gives us:

1. Martinez GK
  2. Steer GK
  3. Sinisalo GK
  4. Marschall GK
  5. Cash
  6. Konsa
  7. Mings
  8. Targett
  9. Hause
  10. Tuanzebe
  11. Guilbert (out on loan)
  12. Bogarde
  13. Swinkels
  14. Young
  15. Nakamba 
  16. Luiz
  17. McGinn
  18. J Ramsey
  19. Sanson
  20. Carney Chukwuemeka
  21. Hourihane (out on loan)
  22. A Ramsey
  23. Lindley
  24. Iroegbanum
  25. Traore
  26. El Ghazi
  27. Bailey
  28. Philogene-Bidace
  29. Buendia
  30. Trezeguet
  31. Watkins
  32. Ings
  33. Archer
  34. Caleb Chukwuemeka
  35. Wesley (out on loan)
  36. Davis

Okay, so that is an awful lot of players - three are out on loan but have appeared this season in matchday squads and I guess we could in theory recall them, and there are a number injured, but at worst, I think we're down to thirty before we start looking at players out with Covid.

So if we've got seventeen players down with Covid, we'll be in a position to call off a game.

I think that's really, really unlikely and I reckon we'll be able to put out a full bench on boxing day - I just can't see a situation where we won't be playing on.

The four keepers mean we'd have to be very unlucky not to have one on the bench too.

We might end up behind closed doors, but I can't see us not playing a game unless we face an opposition that are badly affected.

The second part to that of course is that it can work against you if you've had a lot of your youth players already been in matchday squads this season. We could end up having to field a side that's significantly weakened.

Chelsea have included around half a dozen youngsters tonight in the League Cup, as far I'm aware, that makes them all now eligible for the game on Sunday - which means if they pick up a couple of knocks tonight, they'll still have to play, but they'll have to play their kids.

Not that I'm wishing injuries on Chelsea. Perish the thought.

11 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Also, as someone mentioned, potentially no sub keeper increases the likelihood of an outfield player having to go in goal. And who doesn't love that!!

Personally, I'd prefer to see a team with loads of goalkeepers but down to twelve outfield players and having to play a keeper up front, but sadly I don't think either is likely!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

I just put a single seat on the resell and it was bought straight away. I'd imagine there would be even greater demand if you have a few together.

How do you resell?  Can’t find it in my login.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Personally, I'd prefer to see a team with loads of goalkeepers but down to twelve outfield players and having to play a keeper up front, but sadly I don't think either is likely!

If we had to play Jed Steer or Emi Martinez up front who would you put up there?

• Like 1

Hope we have the makings of a strong team. Bench might be full of the academy but in the spirit of competition I don’t think it fair if we (or any) have to play if disproportionately disadvantaged in comparison with our opponents.