Covid Outbreak

villarule123

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And believe me, despite what you say, the difference between an R of 5 and an R of 6 is absolutely massive .

The difference between 9 million and 60 million is huge in that context. And framing that misinformation as a reason for not getting the vaccine because it doesn't stop transmission isn't just wrong, it's dangerous

With all due respect Stevo, that is not how it works. It caps out long before reaching such numbers as the previously infected aren’t continually reinfected. 

Nor did I frame this as a reason not to get vaccinated. I framed it as a reason to not blame all of our COVID woes on the unvaccinated. Those sorts of irrational accusations belong in the post-match threads 😉

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Even if we ignore the slightly reduced transmission rate, the bigger argument for the vaccine is that the vaccinated population probably won't need hospitalisation. So even if the spread of 5 vs 6 is still virtually the same (as above, it isnt), the percent of those that end up in hospital will be much lower, and you don't end up with the situation where people die because there aren't enough beds/staff to cope.

Madness to think the vaccine doesn't help. Not madness to be concerned with potential long term side effects... that said I have a friend who had covid before vaccine existed, and 15 months later they still can't taste anything. Worse than nearly any remotely likely side effect of the vaccine.

Edit: on topic,  I cant see any logical reason why any of our first team would resist having the vaccine. The most logical concerns on the vaccine are in pregnant/due to become pregnant women, and even they are very much debatable. For our men's first team, who have really short careers, aren't women, and could have their short careers ended by a bad reaction to covid, it is weird why they wouldn't want it.

And saying there has been slow uptake of second/booster vaccines is even more bizarre. That's just laziness and any player falling into this bracket is a moron.

Agree on the hospitalisations argument, much more compelling than the transmission argument. 

How likely is a professional footballer in their 20s to end up hospitalised with Covid? It does happen, but in exceptionally rare numbers. On that basis, if a player doesn’t want a vaccine because they are concerned with long term effects for example, I personally don’t believe the circumstances deserve vitriol and hatred.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Exponential mathematics show the difference between 5 vs 6 is irrelevant.

I’m sorry but the difference between 5 and 6 is anything but irrelevant. 1 sounds like a small number but 1 is 20% of 5. Most people who had a regular salary would be very pleased with a 20% pay rise and most businesses would be equally delighted with a 20% increase in profit. If 20% more people got ill that would equally be a hugely relevant number. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Interesting article. Simon Stone starts off quite professionally but then descends into a string of expletives and obscenities. I’m surprised the BBC published that.

man i actually just full on belly laughed at that one mate. cheers for that. still giggling as i type :crylaugh:

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

With all due respect Stevo, that is not how it works. It caps out long before reaching such numbers as the previously infected aren’t continually reinfected. 

Even if it caps out sooner, the numbers are still massively higher

R = 5            R = 6

0                  1                  1

1                  5                  6

2                25                36

3              125              216

4              625           1,296

5           3,125           7,776

6         15,625         46,656

7         78,125       279,936

8       390,625    1,679,616

9    1,953,125  10,077,696

10    9,765,625  60,466,176

You were using it as a positive response to villalad's post on the vaccine not being effective in reducing transmission, which it absolutely is.
Honestly starting your argument with the statement that the difference between an R of 5 and an R of 6 is irrelevant just totally invalidates your post. It is demonstrably false. It's a huge difference

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hmmm, it's becoming more and more apparent that they are though. What is a real, legitimate reason for not getting vaxxed? Those of us who have been are paying for those that won't.

Again what legitimate reasons are there? Science says that child vaccination is perfectly safe and has eradicated lots of disease. Why wouldn't someone want that for their kids? What would you believe beyond science?

(The theory that vaccines comes from an aborted fetuses is proven false, misinformation.)

A neighbour of ours suffers from severe allergic reactions, and had an episode triggered by covid. The doctors decided it was too risky to vaccinate in case it caused a reaction.

There are many genuine reasons out there why some people cannot be vaccinated even if they want to.

But I do broadly agree with your argument about those who choose not to get vaccinated for no good reason.

29 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

A neighbour of ours suffers from severe allergic reactions, and had an episode triggered by covid. The doctors decided it was too risky to vaccinate in case it caused a reaction.

There are many genuine reasons out there why some people cannot be vaccinated even if they want to.

But I do broadly agree with your argument about those who choose not to get vaccinated for no good reason.

The question that needs addressing (and in order to bring this topic, well, back on topic) is a professional athlete, with a strict diet and training regime, included in the category of 'excused' from taking a medication that might disturb their performance.

Personally, I think covid has a greater chance of disturbing their strict routine. But each individual case is deferent, and I'd be interested what the vaccine uptake is across general sports.

Are athletes who's livelihoods depend on working like a machine less likely to take anything outside of their normal routine?

Has anyone read any studies that might suggest this is the case?  

Also, do you think any clubs would disclose information if a missing covid case within the team been or hasn't been vaccinated?

Before Lewandowski took his vaccine, he got a media shit storm in Poland because when asked about taking the vaccine he said he will discuss it with his doctors and health advisors. 

2 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

You can still catch and transmit the virus even when vaccinated. I've been double jabbed and still got it in August. They just prevent severe illness in the elder from what I've seen. 

Young people who have had he virus will have better immunity than if they had the jabs. 

It's been proven that the jabs provide better immunity against second infection than the actual disease itself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

So do we know who all has Covid or is it something we will find out when the lineup is released? 

I think we'll find out at kick off - there seem to be some quite stringent rules around releasing detail on Covid status for players.

• Like 1