Covid Outbreak

villarule123

33 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm used to being disappointed by some of the comments here on VT, but I actually found your post offensive MaVilla (I'm sure you didn't mean it to be, as I realise you were looking through the narrow spectrum of football). Covid might be "dangerous to some" but we all live on the same planet. I'm double jabbed and boosted but because of having had a triple bypass and other debilitating health problems I have to be damned careful. So do millions of others with their own specific health problems.

My generation was a caring, sharing, empathetic generation built on the terrible experiences of the Second World War. Try putting yourself in the minds of millions of people like me. We live in daily fear of the consequences of the actions of younger "invulnerable" age groups who can't be bothered to get vaccinated because of the "it won't kill me" belief. If everybody would use the quality of empathy and realise how their actions affect others, life could become far more liveable very quickly.Young people might shrug off Covid, but unless they stop seeing their mums and dads and grandparents the "cold" that they suffered might turn into something really dangerous as they pass it on to their loved ones. The simple act of getting vaccinated will mean we can turn this pandemic into just a "flu type virus" as you say, but until that happens many of us are still going to get very ill, and some will die.

Your point of view will be valid when everyone has been vaccinated. Then you can say "we've done all we can to protect the vulnerable", but we're still a few million jabs away from making that happen. I'm not being dramatic, I'm just telling you guys and girls the cold hard truth of how it is for millions of us that aren't lucky enough to be young fit and healthy.

In footballing terms, the moment we start making exceptions for "elite athletes" is the moment that we admit that life goes on normally regardless of the consequences. We are surely not at that juncture yet.

In retrospect I don't find your post offensive MaVilla, and I apologise for that comment. I just find it premature. 

You are entitled to your opinion, and i accept/respect that, and i can confirm i wasnt trying to be heartless, i fully support ensuring we do all we can to vaccinate who needs vaccinating, and trying to ensure anyone at risk is given the best chance of coming through this as reasonably possible, that is the starting point for me, and hopefully anything i say after that is understood with this as the basis.

My point however, is in the wider context, around the "plebs" (like us), are treated like some underlings in a dystopian nightmare, where the "special people" in power get to have their parties, sleep with their aides, drive the length of the country to do "things", and just do whatever they want while we cant even sit next to dying relatives or see family at certain points because these corrupt and two faced fools tell us to do something they arent doing.

Couple this with the destruction to our economy which our kids, kids, kids will be paying for with all this flip flopping around by the incompetent leaders of this country, then add all the other major illnesses like cancer or other debilitating diseases that people arent getting treated for because our glorious leaders are citing "the NHS is overloaded", when the NHS was overloaded before COVID, but now its a good time to blame it all on COVID rather than admit the NHS was in a huge mess even before COVID, i remember the stories of ambulances queuing for hours even before COVID hit, so for the politicians to make out now that it wasnt like it before, is pure lies and doing a dis-service to intelligent people.

My point re living with it, im just stating a fact, COVID will be here forever now, i agree we need to do all we reasonably can right now to protect people, but at some point in the future we need to return as close to normal as possible, while still protecting who needs protecting, we cant live in this world of fear forever, at some point we need to go on living (when its possible to do so), thats my point.

I could go on and on, but whatever someone says, someone finds issue with it, but in closing, my point is, i fully agree and desire to protect anyone in the at risk category, my point is more around the incompetent and disastrous handling overall of this situation, by the people and institutions who are meant to run this country.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Everyone needs to get vaccinated as it reduces the strength of transmission. It's not a case of just at risk people getting vaccinated. 

i wasnt implying that, as far as im aware (touch wood) im not in the at risk category, but im double vaxxed, but i would debate the term "everyone", depends what you mean by everyone, but thats just pedantics though in terms of discussion.

39 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Your point of view will be valid when everyone has been vaccinated. Then you can say "we've done all we can to protect the vulnerable", but we're still a few million jabs away from making that happen.

You can either make vaccination mandatory, or you have to accept that there will never be a point when 'everyone has been vaccinated'.

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Everyone needs to get vaccinated as it reduces the strength of transmission. It's not a case of just at risk people getting vaccinated. I recently saw a pre Covid The Chase repeat and one of the questions was what percentage do epidemiologists say the population needs to reach to vaccinate against a virus to prevent outbreaks. Answer: 95%

Herd Immunity is generally accepted to be anywhere between 60% & 85% for most viruses, where has the 95% come from?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Herd Immunity is generally accepted to be anywhere between 60% & 85% for most viruses, where has the 95% come from?

I remember reading a medical paper that herd immunity percentages varies dependent on whether the vaccine is transmission blocking as well. The higher the blocking the lower the herd immunity percentage so it seems the vaccines currently in circulation are very low on blocking.  Added to that there are new variants that change the herd immunity equation.

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The new strain is super transmissible so this will be hitting a few squads soon. I sincerely hope the players and staff are testing daily now as it’s the only way to have any chance of staying covid free going forward. 

Literally no conclusive evidence of this from any trustworthy source.

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

People genuinely would rather believe social media than scientists/research teams or doctors.

It's amazing how some of the loudest "experts" that have done their research on social media have terrible spelling and grammar. It's almost as if they left school early or did poorly academically.  Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2