Covid Outbreak

villarule123

If we are missing "a couple" of players due to Covid-19, then why don't we look to get the game called off just like Spurs and Newton Heath have done recently, rather than trying to soldier on like we did in January with a depleted squad, or are Covid-19 postponements only granted to former greed league applicants?   

1 hour ago, John said:

If we are missing "a couple" of players due to Covid-19, then why don't we look to get the game called off just like Spurs and Newton Heath have done recently, rather than trying to soldier on like we did in January with a depleted squad, or are Covid-19 postponements only granted to former greed league applicants?   

I think you have to have 4 or 5 players out at least to get be able to get a Covid postponement.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think you have to have 4 or 5 players out at least to get be able to get a Covid postponement.

There is no hard rule about numbers atm, its all done on a case by case method.

No one really wants to call a game off so it would seem if you ask they will call it off.

I'm with @Rodders on this one. Reminds me of Brexit, really - anything logical or from a source that knows what they're talking about gets ignored, then these people get upset when they're called stupid/selfish etc and have the **** cheek to say 'If you were just nice to us in the first place, then we wouldn't have stuck our heads in the fire/jumped off that cliff/repeatedly headbutted that girder'. Just had enough of them, they can all **** off. 

You guys are acting like the vaccine gives you immunity. 

My dad is double vacced and contracted covid a couple of weeks ago. 

Covid has become a part of life just like the flu, and we have to learn to live with it and not call off every single game everytime there's been an outbreak. 

Covid isn't going away anytime soon. 

If you can assemble a first eleven you play. That's my stance on it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You can still catch and transmit the virus even when vaccinated. I've been double jabbed and still got it in August. They just prevent severe illness in the elder from what I've seen. 

Young people who have had he virus will have better immunity than if they had the jabs. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

You can still catch and transmit the virus even when vaccinated. I've been double jabbed and still got it in August. They just prevent severe illness in the elder from what I've seen. 

Young people who have had he virus will have better immunity than if they had the jabs. 

Yeah. 

Even if every single person in a state is double vacced people would still contract it. 

It is as you say. The vaccine make you better equipped with dealing with it should you catch it. It doesn't give you immunity, it doesn't make the virus go away. 

Some folks are worried about the long term side effects of the vaccine and I can respect that. I'm personally double vacced but I don't judge non vacced people. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Covid has become a part of life just like the flu, and we have to learn to live with it and not call off every single game everytime there's been an outbreak. 

Covid isn't going away anytime soon. 

If you can assemble a first eleven you play. That's my stance on it. 

I never thought I’d be entering a vaccine debate on VillaTalk let alone agreeing with Villalad21 but here we are. 

Some frighteningly simplistic viewpoints being put forward in this thread eg false equivalences comparing all vaccines as the same - they’re not... 

The more traditional protein-based vaccines in most cases provide sterilising immunity whereas mRNA Covid vaccines barely reduce transmission and are more of a therapy designed to reduce symptoms.

A close associate of mine develops vaccines and believes the basic reproduction number (R nought) of a COVID vaccinated person at the height of their immunity period (note: these vaccines quickly wane) is roughly 5 whereas for an unvaccinated person it is 6, meaning an unvaccinated person is likely to pass on the virus to one more person than a vaccinated person at their peak immunity. Exponential mathematics show the difference between 5 vs 6 is irrelevant.

Bill Gates himself says so below.

I’m all for vaccinations, but blaming the unvaccinated for all our problems is a lazy, uninformed and divisive stance. We need better vaccines (or other therapeutics) before that argument stands up.

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Honestly the stupidest argument there is. I wish people would stop peddling this shit

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

A close associate of mine develops vaccines and believes the basic reproduction number (R nought) of a COVID vaccinated person at the height of their immunity period (note: these vaccines quickly wane) is roughly 5 whereas for an unvaccinated person it is 6, meaning an unvaccinated person is likely to pass on the virus to one more person than a vaccinated person at their peak immunity. Exponential mathematics show the difference between 5 vs 6 is irrelevant.

I don't know where you got these numbers, as they sound wrong to me. But saying the difference between an R number of 5 vs an R number of 6 is irrelevant is absolute nonsense.

If people have an R number of 5, that means they pass the virus on to 5 people. Then those 5 pass it on to 5 more people each, then all of those pass it on to 5 people etc etc. If it's 6 then they pass it on to 6, then those 6 pass it on to 6, then all those pass it on to 6 etc

If everyone had an R of 5, then after 10 stages of transmission, you would have about 9.7m people with Covid.
If the R number was 6, then after 10 stages of transmission you'd have over 60m people with Covid

That doesn't sound like an irrelevant difference to me.

That being said I have never heard of the R number for Covid being anywhere near as high as 5, vaccinated or unvaccinated. As i remember it Covid was said to have an R number of 3 if nothing was done to stop the spread.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know where you got these numbers, as they sound wrong to me. But saying the difference between an R number of 5 vs an R number of 6 is absolute nonsense.

If people have an R number of 5, that means they pass the virus on to 5 people. Then those 5 pass it on to 5 more people each, then all of those pass it on to 5 people etc etc. If it's 6 then they pass it on to 6, then those 6 pass it on to 6, then all those pass it on to 6 etc

If everyone had an R of 5, then after 10 stages of transmission, you would have about 9.7m people with Covid.
If the R number was 6, then after 10 stages of transmission you'd have over 60m people with Covid

That doesn't sound like an irrelevant difference to me.

That being said I have never heard of the R number for Covid being anywhere near as high as 5, vaccinated or unvaccinated. As i remember it Covid was said to have an R number of 3 if nothing was done to stop the spread.

You’re correct in that the initial virus was roughly 3 as you say, Alpha strain roughly 4-5 and Delta 5-8.

The difference between 5 vs 6 is irrelevant because in both scenarios, everyone will still eventually be infected, which isn’t necessarily the worst thing if we can manage severe outcomes (hospitalisations/deaths) via treatment protocols. 

Like other viruses, if the above pattern continues then over time it will become more transmissible but less deadly. Circling back to why I agree with the likes of Villalad, based on the above it isn’t going away and we must learn to live with this. Freaking out over cases and shutting down is an outdated approach.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This makes no sense. By that logic the difference between 1.1 and 1000 is irrelevant because eventually everyone will get infected.

The higher the R number, the quicker it spreads. The faster hospitals and the NHS get overrun, and the more people die. You've said it yourself, we need to manage sever outcomes, well that is way WAY harder with a virus that is more transmissible. And believe me, despite what you say, the difference between an R of 5 and an R of 6 is absolutely massive .

The difference between 9 million and 60 million is huge in that context. And framing that misinformation as a reason for not getting the vaccine because it doesn't stop transmission isn't just wrong, it's dangerous

Even if we ignore the slightly reduced transmission rate, the bigger argument for the vaccine is that the vaccinated population probably won't need hospitalisation. So even if the spread of 5 vs 6 is still virtually the same (as above, it isnt), the percent of those that end up in hospital will be much lower, and you don't end up with the situation where people die because there aren't enough beds/staff to cope.

Madness to think the vaccine doesn't help. Not madness to be concerned with potential long term side effects... that said I have a friend who had covid before vaccine existed, and 15 months later they still can't taste anything. Worse than nearly any remotely likely side effect of the vaccine.

Edit: on topic,  I cant see any logical reason why any of our first team would resist having the vaccine. The most logical concerns on the vaccine are in pregnant/due to become pregnant women, and even they are very much debatable. For our men's first team, who have really short careers, aren't women, and could have their short careers ended by a bad reaction to covid, it is weird why they wouldn't want it.

And saying there has been slow uptake of second/booster vaccines is even more bizarre. That's just laziness and any player falling into this bracket is a moron.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1