Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes not finishing top 6 against these underfunded and well managed clubs will be poor indeed:

Screenshot_20220525-150434_Chrome-min.jpg

Man U well managed? Haha

Just pulling your leg!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This needs to change, and I think it will. He talks a lot about mentality and focus over 90 needing to improve and here’s proof of that 

Yeah we reduce that from 19 to 10 and we'd have been 8th.and have a shedload more prize money too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Most of those “turds” will be still here next season and most will still be first team players.  Yes we’ll likely bring in four or five players and yes one or two current first teamers may leave but most that will likely leave are fringe players.  So seven or eight of the current first XI “turds” will be next season first XI as well. So he needs to start polishing…

He’s only going to keep the players that he think can adapt or the ones where he can’t land his significantly better targets. 

There is a reason why we are being linked with so many centre backs, midfielders and even strikers. Realistically, only Mings, Mcginn and Watkins might be left in the starting line up with a question mark over them come the start of the season but all are likely to have genuine competition for their starting spots for the first time in their villa careers. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

And what if he is stuck with these players next season since is a chance we wont get all his signings or get the players out the door

Sherwood Lampard and Keane have made similar comments about players and have hardly set the world alight in management 

Came “9th” with these players so all in all pretty much what we could’ve expected. 

50 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s only going to keep the players that he think can adapt or the ones where he can’t land his significantly better targets. 

Still, it’s only likely that four players will come straight into the first team so still needs to polish the other turds.

52 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

There is a reason why we are being linked with so many centre backs, midfielders and even strikers.

Yeah but linked with so many doesn’t mean we’ll buy loads.  We might buy another midfielder, a striker and a couple of defensive player that will be part of the 25 man squad, likely a core of 18 but that still means a dozen or so current players he needs to work with.  My point still stands he’ll still will need to work with most of what he had plus the new players.

57 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Realistically, only Mings, Mcginn and Watkins might be left in the starting line up with a question mark over them

In your view, Gerrard might be happy with them.  Gerrard’s question mark on who we don’t know!  Plus we start 11 players but the core group of players is closer to 18 because we have options as you also mention.

22 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Came “9th” with these players so all in all pretty much what we could’ve expected. 

But we didn’t! Form under him for 27 games was 9th but recent form for 20 games, 10 games has been a lot less.  These players came 14th in the league!

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we didn’t! Form under him for 27 games was 9th but recent form for 20 games, 10 games has been a lot less.  These players came 14th in the league!

But we did come 9th if we go from when he was appointed. 

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

But we did come 9th if we go from when he was appointed. 

Great, a pointless point in time just like 20 games to go and 10 games to go when discussing players.  It’s not like he turned on a SG switch on day one and they played differently.

If we can’t judge him until he’s had a preseason then it doesn’t make sense to judge him in let’s say the first game of his tenure when he’d barely spent any of time with the players never mind engraining any of his ideas in them

Edited by nick76

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Great, a pointless point in time just like 20 games to go and 10 games to go when discussing players.  It’s not like he turned on a SG switch on day one and they played differently.

If we can’t judge him until he’s had a preseason then it doesn’t make sense to judge him in let’s say the first game of his tenure when he’d barely spent any of time with the players never mind engraining any of his ideas in them

Just stating the fact, with these players since he has been in charge we came 9th, granted that doesn’t take into account the teams he didn’t get to play against twice but, I mean, that’s pretty decent still.

Now with an upgrade hopefully in players, we can have a more consistent season and push on. 

The future for me and a lot of others on this board is looking bright, I just fingers crossed hope it turns out that way. 

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This needs to change, and I think it will. He talks a lot about mentality and focus over 90 needing to improve and here’s proof of that 

Correct. He does talk a lot about it.

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Blimey 19 points we've dropped? That's shocking.

It seems to me gerrard doesnt mess about and likes his business done quickly. Sounds like he wants most of the signings in the door by pre season. 

This for me would be brilliant if he can achive it 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It seems to me gerrard doesnt mess about and likes his business done quickly. Sounds like he wants most of the signings in the door by pre season. 

Would be ideal yes, shouldn’t underestimate the importance of pre season. **** deadline day

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is something our owners have shown a willingness to do the whole time. Must be great for managers to work under.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Blimey 19 points we've dropped? That's shocking.

16 under himself.

We regained 7 points all season from losing positions though the Leeds and Brentford maybe difficult to call as it was so early in the game. Leeds we also took a 2 goal lead

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sorry if repost but a good chat with Gerrard about the season. 

Cheers, I’d not seen this and haven’t got the time to trawl back through the thread. 

I like what he says, he’s confident and professional with a steely determination to install the winning mentality. It’s what we need. The question remains over whether he can do it… but I’m up for giving him the opportunity to try. I have been annoyed that he could’ve picked a system to suit the team this season, we might have been better and won more points. But he’s clearly focused on a certain style, so it kind of makes sense to see who can cut it. With a window and a preseason, he’ll have no excuses as he rightly says. 

Hopefully he can get us showing some resilience and we can be tough to beat and clinical in attack. We’re not a million miles away, but then our rivals will feel the same. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Would be ideal yes, shouldn’t underestimate the importance of pre season. **** deadline day

I'd settle for not losing our best players in the last week of pre-season. This pre-season more than most in recent times is going to be massive. It's a chance for SG to really set out the details of how our system/systems are going to work, and to establish a culture in a way we just couldn't while we were in the fight. 

As Stevie himself suggests, the culture and mentality will be more than half the battle, as we do have some quality players. Now we can really engrain it.

• Like 1

Â