Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He looks in awe of Gerrard there ;)

Yup, I saw a photo earlier of that moment and it captured that look perfectly.

I mentioned it yesterday after hearing some talk about Gerrard from a European football journalist who referred to him as a God to many players; not just in Europe but Worldwide.

It's often said a new manager needs at least three transfer windows to get their team together, exciting times!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

It’s another good interview. Made me smile that he says that he wants players who are not content with finishing 14th in the league but we’re trying to pay megabucks to Tarkowski who would have loved to have finished 14th in the league. 

Given that it was only filmed 24 hours after the City game, he seems very rationale and calm about it, positive even…not crying over not winning the title for Liverpool as the media would have you believe.

Said all the right things again. 

I particularly liked the bit where he said about needing his players to be fully concentrating for 90s minutes.  That's a biggie for this squad. 

Love the words towards the end!

- I want players to be stronger mentally

- Want players to be obsessed with winning

- I want us to be obsessed in preseason with becoming better mentally and physically stronger throughout a full game.

- Don't want players who are content with finishing 14th in the League and going out of Cup competetions early, that's got to hurt.

- We'll be setting a culture here, where it's not acceptable to be inconsistent.

🔥🔥🔥

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Said all the right things again. 

I particularly liked the bit where he said about needing his players to be fully concentrating for 90s minutes.  That's a biggie for this squad. 

Thats what i liked. Its great he picked on this as this has been a amssive issue for years. Also the point about going out the cups early. Im glad gerrard seems to be taking the cups more seriously

• Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

He’s brilliant at interviews, I need him to get it done on the pitch.  

Actions speak louder than words.

He’s had his honeymoon period to look at the current squad and playing.  We saw nothing really to be excited about the coaching side of it but it was six months of assessing players.

Now he gets his players, he gets his preseason and then I want to see his words in action not just in interviews.  

I’m hopeful, wary, excited, unsure for next season.

Exciting times.  I feel we are moving into a new phase of the project.  We're going to see a lot of the Smith/promotion players move on.

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Exciting times.  I feel we are moving into a new phase of the project.  We're going to see a lot of the Smith/promotion players move on.

He’s needs to get the best out of players not just buy players.  He looks like he’s going to get the players he wants and then the big unknown for me is whether he can get the best out of them.  He has the words, I want to see it. I’m hopeful.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s needs to get the best out of players not just buy players.  He looks like he’s going to get the players he wants and then the big unknown for me is whether he can get the best out of them.  He has the words, I want to see it. I’m hopeful.

So far he is a chequebook manager and he has been given the keys to the bank here

He needs to do his job now and improve players on the training pitch

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

So is pep by that logic, spent a billion at city, if he was such a good coach he wouldn't need to buy players to fit his "system". A manager needs the chance to buy players to play the way he wants, our current crop might might just about finish higher than 10th, we've overrated many of them, when they're simply decent midtable players at best in some cases.

We all know Pep is 😉

You can buy all the players you want but you have to coach them still. He has been here 6 months and I couldn't tell you how we play. Do we play from the back, do we pump it to Watkins, so we play through midfield. 

9 points from the last 11 is probably relegation form and of our players are overrated maybe but they arent a relegation team

Â