Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

So is pep by that logic, spent a billion at city, if he was such a good coach he wouldn't need to buy players to fit his "system". A manager needs the chance to buy players to play the way he wants, our current crop might might just about finish higher than 10th, we've overrated many of them, when they're simply decent midtable players at best in some cases.

It's not one or the other though is it? To create a top team you need top players, give them expert coaching and use them the strategically best way possible.

Man United spent a billion too and it all went to shit.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So far he is a chequebook manager and he has been given the keys to the bank here

He needs to do his job now and improve players on the training pitch

To be fair the only way to succeed these days is with a chequebook. Now, I personally don't like that, but Gerrard being a "chequebook manager" means he's an ideal fit because the only teams winning the league are those with massive bank accounts.

Does Guardiola improve players? Not directly, no. I mean if you stick 30-40 world class players in training sessions together then they will improve, but that's not Guardiola doing anything special, that's just a side effect of spending £1 billion on players. 

I think people look at Leicester winning the league and believe that is still possible, but it's not. That was a fluke, a one off, and Leicester will never win the league again unless they break out the chequebook. If you want Villa to be the team that improves players, then you're also wanting a Villa team that will never win anything again because that model is dead. 

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are not improving players, they are buying world class players and doing the bare minimum to keep them world class.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We all know Pep is 😉

You can buy all the players you want but you have to coach them still. He has been here 6 months and I couldn't tell you how we play. Do we play from the back, do we pump it to Watkins, so we play through midfield. 

9 points from the last 11 is probably relegation form and of our players are overrated maybe but they arent a relegation team

Give it a rest and watch his video from earlier today where he’s made it abundantly  clear that some of the players are mentally (and technically) not capable of playing the more progressive way that he wants. 

He’s already started fixing that.

• Like 2

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

Give it a rest and watch his video from earlier today where he’s made it abundantly  clear that some of the players are mentally (and technically) not capable of playing the more progressive way that he wants. 

He’s already started fixing that.

Cracking man management. Pretty sure he said it after Wolves game and we won twice since then 

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s needs to get the best out of players not just buy players.  He looks like he’s going to get the players he wants and then the big unknown for me is whether he can get the best out of them.  He has the words, I want to see it. I’m hopeful.

Well he wont be getting another pass from me if we are having a season like this one next year as he would have had backin and time to mould the team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cracking man management. Pretty sure he said it after Wolves game and we won twice since then 

He’s not going to sit there trying to polish the footballing equivalent of a turd (at the highest competitive level) when he knows he can attract a much better quality of player. 

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s not going to sit there trying to polish the footballing equivalent of a turd (at the highest competitive level) when he knows he can attract a much better quality of player. 

And what if he is stuck with these players next season since is a chance we wont get all his signings or get the players out the door

Sherwood Lampard and Keane have made similar comments about players and have hardly set the world alight in management 

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Most of those “turds” will be still here next season and most will still be first team players.  Yes we’ll likely bring in four or five players and yes one or two current first teamers may leave but most that will likely leave are fringe players.  So seven or eight of the current first XI “turds” will be next season first XI as well. So he needs to start polishing…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

100% this. He inherited a squad that contained players that had their ceilings. It was only a matter of time until upgrades were coming. 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Do you not see a difference between how Man City and other teams play? The players don't organize themselves.

When Pep comes to a new club, he radically changes how they play. It was the same when he was at Bayern. 

I didn't say that Pep does nothing. It's obvious that he's a very good tactician, and he does change how teams play I'm not disputing that at all. If I was I would have talked down his tactical prowess in my post, but I didn't. That said at many of the clubs he has been at he has been assisted in radical change by a blank cheque, but that's football in 2022, I don't like it, but it is what it is. 

Gerrard has been very clear that he inherited a team that were used to a different system. A team with certain players that weren't great either skill wise, or mentally. While he's also had to play half a season without a dedicated CDM (Luiz is not a CDM, he hates playing there). He's been very open about the inconsistency that comes with changing the team mid season in a world class league. I'm in full support of being very critical if we're still shit next season, but it takes time before the machine is firing on all cylinders. It takes several windows before most managers have a team that they can dominate with, unless of course you have the money to buy £300 million worth of players in a window, that speeds things up a bit. 

• Like 2

Proper Managers don't sign good/better players than what they've got to improve.

They sign shit ones and coach them to demonstrate their ability.

Then even if they improve, we'll have to gauge if they've actually been improved by coaching, or if they've just " improved playing their natural game "

What we actually should have done, was gone all out to get a seasoned and proven winner, like Conte, Mourinho, Pochettino etc.

Then told them to get us top 6 with the undoubtedly talented squad we have.

Limit the transfer budget to 3 million pounds and tell them to show and prove.

I reckon Pep Guardiola or Eddie Howe would have kept Norwich up.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Talks alot of sense and spots the weaknesses a few us have on here have,  players and staff, willing to accept mediocre performances.

Kamara comments as well, consistent performances and good on and off the ball,  I like it. 🤞

• Like 1

You can already see that, even if we do very well next season, he will have nothing to do with it, and it will be because " He got a blank chequebook, even Paul Jewell or Wayne Rooney could have finished top 6 with this squad "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

100% this. He inherited a squad that contained players that had their ceilings. It was only a matter of time until upgrades were coming. 

Again I dont agree with this ceiling thing. The players who I am guessing Watkins, McGinn, Luiz. Targett, Konsa have nearly all been linked to better teams than us

If the rumours are true then maybe was no ceiling

Also ceiling is a terrible term too as average players can play in big tournament wins like Djimi Traore or John O'Shea

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He gives great interviews, highlight of his reign so far which after 6 months is worrying 

No excuses next season.

From his own mouth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You can already see that, even if we do very well next season, he will have nothing to do with it, and it will be because " He got a blank chequebook, even Paul Jewell or Wayne Rooney could have finished top 6 with this squad "

well I said top 8 is minimum on Sunday but if all these signings come in then not getting top 6 will be poor. though all depends if we actually play attacking football then might get a pass

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

No excuses next season.

From his own mouth.

In fairness he has said that since he came in but people on here love to give him excuses as if they are his PR team 😛  

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

In fairness he has said that since he came in but people on here love to give him excuses as if they are his PR team 😛  

If Gerrard was on this site he’d be saying the same things as us and the reason we know this is that he tells us the same thing in interviews.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Again I dont agree with this ceiling thing. The players who I am guessing Watkins, McGinn, Luiz. Targett, Konsa have nearly all been linked to better teams than us

If the rumours are true then maybe was no ceiling

Also ceiling is a terrible term too as average players can play in big tournament wins like Djimi Traore or John O'Shea

Blasphemy. Wash your mouth out. Comparing John O'Shea to Djimi Traore.

Best John Oshea GIFs | Gfycat

Latest Scholes GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 3

Â