Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not much point in a pre game thread, then. 😁

A pre-match thread doesn't just have to be people losing their shit over a line up and hating on the manager :) 

We're 9th in the table based on games since Gerrard became manager, Southampton eighth in that same form table with one more point than us over the same period, but they've played one more game. SInce he came in we have averaged 1.4 points a game which is around 54 points over a season.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, useless said:

We're 9th in the table based on games since Gerrard became manager, Southampton eighth in that same form table with one more point than us over the same period, but they've played one more game. SInce he came in we have averaged 1.4 points a game which is around 54 points over a season.

Absolutely awful run in that too, top10 is where I think we will finish and I think we will will keep Improving until we can consistently finish 7th, we will not be allowed to finish higher.

Changed formation. Full backs were full backs. Midfielders were in midfield. Not surprised to see some points.

I would imagine we'll end up sitting deep against Southampton again which is probably for the best.

• Like 3

Gerrard had clearly tweaked things a little so that our full backs weren't playing so high and our eights weren't playing FB. Sensible changes to the system is something I think we can all agree on.

I maintain Ings and Watkins is still not something that we should be doing often, if at all so hopefully Gerrard will make up with Buendia soon

Edited by picicata
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Really we beat Brighton at home as well by the same scoreline.? 

The back to basics approach and the fact that Brighton are terrible in front of goal helped. An away win is an away win though - and Kudos for that. Whatever the shortcomings of our squad we should be getting results against Brighton.

We've actually won 4 away under Gerrard now compared to only two at home so we do need a strong finish at VP. Winless at VP since we won v Leicester early December.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm glad he tweaked his system, which was the difference today. I was worried he would be like Bielsa, completely rigid and in love with his formation despite it not working. That's a good sign. 

Agreed. That was a worry of mine too.

Seeing that we can learn from our mistakes, and tweak effectively without totally abandoning the base ethos is a good sign.

I reckon with time, patience and additions, it could be quite effective.

Obviously as the team develop and get mor rused to it as well.

• Like 1

As many have said it’s the top 3, then you have 4-5 odd teams trying to break in to top 4 then you have the rest. 

You’ll have the odd really shit team like Norwich. 

Gerrard or whoever the next manager is has a job of breaking in to that second bunch of teams. It ain’t gonna be easy! 

Â