Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, jim said:

But he has been an awful appointment?

Wouldn't say awful no.

Fact is, we're an absolute dream to manage at the moment.

Looks like you'll be backed with almost all available money every window. Immediate improvement is to be expected.

Hopefully he'll be looked back on as a Pochettino-like appointment who will lift us up a few levels.

No reason we shouldn't be battling with those like West Ham and Spurs. And for my money, they are so so close to Utd/Arsenal, with a good season anyone surprising could nick 4th.

UTV

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't say awful no.

Fact is, we're an absolute dream to manage at the moment.

Looks like you'll be backed with almost all available money every window. Immediate improvement is to be expected.

Hopefully he'll be looked back on as a Pochettino-like appointment who will lift us up a few levels.

No reason we shouldn't be battling with those like West Ham and Spurs. And for my money, they are so so close to Utd/Arsenal, with a good season anyone surprising could nick 4th.

UTV

Certainly worn money available - the current crop of youngsters - indeed the starting 11 is a very good base from which build.

Villa managers job is a better prospect than for a good few years.

22 hours ago, hippo said:

You've got options mate.

I know the timescale is short - but should we flounder for the rest of this season entrusting a rookie manager with a full rebuild would be borderline negligence imo.

Leeds have just dispensed with an experienced manager, so I'm not sure, what rookie has to do with it.....Steve Bruce was expereienced too.

We have to give him time, Hippo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leeds have just dispensed with an experienced manager, so I'm not sure, what rookie has to do with it.....Steve Bruce was expereienced too.

We have to give him time, Hippo.

Exactly, look at Arsenal. They stuck by their rookie and it appears to be paying off.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jim said:

Exactly, look at Arsenal. They stuck by their rookie and it appears to be paying off.

Excellent point. Patience is invariably rewarded. 

It amazes me how quickly some lose faith. I mean, was it ever going to be just plain sailing? You can see from the demeanour of the players that they feel their in good hands. I'm quietly confident that come next season, we'll be a totally different animal, like a cat amongst pigeons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This just isn't true, a crap manager doesn't become a good manager just because you keep the faith. I'm not suggesting Gerrard is an example of one, but patience for patience's sake is how you waste years on a failed tenure. Why didn't we just stick with Smith for a few more years if patience is invariably rewarded?

I think the answer to your question, at least from my limited understanding, is because Purslow or whomever, is of the mind we had the opportunity to bring in someone of a higher ceiling and calibre.

So as far as dismissing the notion that patience leads to beneficial results as untrue, I think you might want to check again, because I think it is your insinuation that is not striking true.

@sheepyvillian was your point more about making allowances for the implementation and development of ideas and plans to be brought in to practice? And not so much about waiting idly only to ignore obvious signs of the team not reaching what was initially desired and expected?

Edited by A'Villan

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This just isn't true, a crap manager doesn't become a good manager just because you keep the faith. I'm not suggesting Gerrard is an example of one, but patience for patience's sake is how you waste years on a failed tenure. Why didn't we just stick with Smith for a few more years if patience is invariably rewarded?

to be honest at the moment I would prefer Smith as manager.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I think the answer to your question, at least from my limited understanding, is because Purslow or whomever, is of the mind we had the opportunity to bring in someone of a higher ceiling and calibre.

So as far as dismissing the notion that patience leads to beneficial results as untrue, I think you might want to check again, because I think it is your insinuation that is not striking true.

@sheepyvillian was your point more about making allowances for the implementation and development of ideas and plans to be brought in to practice? And not so much about waiting idly only to ignore obvious signs of the team not reaching what was initially desired and expected?

I would have been happy for the club to stick with Smith. The fact is, he's no longer with us. 

Arsenal are a perfect example of reaping the reward for showing patience and persevering with a manager even when the majority are calling for his head. 

Of course SG needs more time to achieve his aim of creating a Villa side  that not only wins in style, but does it consistently. That was what eluded Smith when we reached the Premier league. We lacked consistency. 

I'm confident, with time, SG will be a success. I liked his phrase about "noise". He won't be deterred by haters, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We appointed Gerrard in the belief that he has the capabilities as a manager to take our club forward. Surely a requirement of that belief is "patience ".

Edited by sheepyvillian

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

There is no insinuation in what Davkaus wrote, neither was he arguing against patience as a virtue.

Invariably means always. He is simply saying of course it doesn't always improve things.

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Care to explain how?

Losing to teams in the bottom 3, not won enough games, no where near living up to his salary and is a rookie.

etc, etc...

12 minutes ago, jim said:

Losing to teams in the bottom 3, not won enough games, no where near living up to his salary and is a rookie.

etc, etc...

You can add persisting in a formation that clearly doesn't work.

And having an average age of players signed of 29. Two of which will be earning more than anyone else at the club :)

Still surprised you think he's awful, wouldn't go that far.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He doesn't, he is being sarcastic. He had a big dislike of Smith from his comments 

Surely not.

Imagine not having enjoyed the best years in about 20 as a Villa fan because you didn't like the manager.

Â